StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

System/Admin "Request" deferment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2 - 1) twopop is a she Wink

2) - if our requests jumped the SAM requests, we would never hear the SAM ones unless there were very very few requesting
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thuringwethil wrote:
j2 - 1) twopop is a she Wink

2) - if our requests jumped the SAM requests, we would never hear the SAM ones unless there were very very few requesting

1) That's nice for Twopop. Hektor made the suggestion though. Is Hektor a she too?

2) Yeah, that too.

jeff
sdg
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i thought you were referring back to Jeric's post since that was the one right above you
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Sorry for the confusion.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Furyen wrote:
Does SAM "Re-Queue" newly added ST's as well?

The script is turned off because it made the queue too long and you all are doing a good job of selecting new stuff.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA hektor
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 8239

hektor is offline View user's profile Send private message hektor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning j's question about my gender, I do recall reading something a while back that confirmed we're all female for the first day or two in our mother's wombs. But alas, since those first, glorious couple of days, I've been a male.

I see thur's point about SAM requests never getting to being played if requests keep coming in. I guess I'm OK with that as the 1/15, 1/30, or 1/60 request intervals are related to the listener queue duration. The longer the queue duration, the more time required in between an individual listener's requests. This means many listeners will need to be requesting regularly in order to shut-out the SAM tracks from playing, otherwise SAM tracks should make it through during those listener request "blackout" times. So, if there's alot of listeners making alot of requests, great. If not, SAM is relentless and will be heard!

j's point about SAM tracks hanging around in the queue forever if user requests keep coming in is also well taken. I think "a" solution (I'll leave it up to JERIC to determine whether it's "good" or not!) for this problem would be for all SAM requests beyond to 60 minute mark to vanish. I know this may involve a database call to free up the track to be requested again, but this would seem the best solution (given that the rules won't allow SST to just queue-up random tracks automatically as they're needed).

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the only time SAM queues a song is if the queue falls below 60 minutes.

USA hektor
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

hektor is offline View user's profile Send private message hektor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Although new SAM requests are made to keep the queue at 60 minutes, if user requests were allowed to pre-empt these automated requests, the SAM requests would likely be pushed back beyond 60 minutes. And if user requests keep coming in, the SAM requests would hang around, possibly for a very long time. To quote a movie favorite, SAM would "...have this thing hanging out there".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That would violate the 60 minute wait time for requesting a track. DMCA says you must wait at least an hour. That's why the SAM tracks have to play first. I thought this was already explained.

USA hektor
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha JERIC. I understand now. Before I thought DMCA was a bureacratic inconvenience, now I think it's a royal pain in the ***!

Ragardless, SST has been and continues to be a wonderful service that I feel fortunate to enjoy.

WARNING! Emotional ventilation to follow; proceed at own risk!

***BEGIN VENT***

I guess I'm just weary and frustrated with people trying to squeeze money out of others. You (literally in this case) get something really good going which is nothing more than an honest effort to provide a service to the community and along come the carpet-baggers and legal nazis whose one desire is to reap unjustified profits by lawful extortion.

I look forward to the day when the soul proprietors of intellectual property are the artists themeselves. I've had a belly-full of entertainment industry parasites.

***END VENT***
USA AbeFroman
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

aw

Member#: 7805

AbeFroman is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View AbeFroman's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
No SAM requests are placed into a queue that exceeds one hour. So maybe I'm not sure what you mean.

I'd like to see SAM's intervention be reduced to 30 minutes (instead of 60 min) if possible. My least favorite thing about SST is SAM. Sure it pulls up the unusual stuff once in a while but I prefer hearing more of the people picks and less picks from the master conrol program.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: