StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

2006 Oscar Blog mentions John Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:54 pm   Post subject: 2006 Oscar Blog mentions John Williams Reply with quote

There is an interesting daily blog on these days leading up to the Oscars by AP Movie Writer David Germain. Here’s just a taste of what he had to say on 2/22:

“After 45 nominations, are the Academy Awards as mundane for John Williams as going to the drivethru for a Big Mac and fries?
The film composer who has won five Oscars … earned his 44th and 45th nominations this time for "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Munich."
That broke the tie he'd been in with Alfred Newman (uncle of Randy, not the figurehead of Mad magazine), who earned 43 nominations for film music in a career that brought him nine Oscars …”

Read more at http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060224/D8FVIHC8A.html
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's got to feel so good, being that well known and well aclaimed of a composer. So he finally passed Newman; they're both such great composers.
I love John Willimas, because out of essentially all of the composers, he looks the most like one. His demeanor and expressions and such just give the perception of someone so serious and vigerously devoted to the music. Go Williams, go! Win another award, just for the heck of it!
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like John Williams, I'm also very sceptical, if all of these 45 nominations he earned over the decades are justified.

If you check out the list of the nominations especially in the 80's, there's closely NO year where he hasn't been nominated for anything.
(No matter if it was a sequel score or not - like every Indiana Jones... - or if it was the biggest cr@p, like "Accidental Tourist". Okay, it's a good movie and the score is nice, but not really a masterpiece.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually the rules of the academy awards say a composer can't be nominated for a sequel score when most of the thematical material is identical with the score before it...
So how on earth could for example Howard Shore get 2 original score oscars and John Williams nomination after nomination for nearly every film-sage (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter etc.)??

I'm also very disappointed of the academy for ignoring so many other great composers or scores, especially Jerry Goldsmith, so often!

Nevertheless I wish John Williams all good luck.
He is an Icon after all and always will be.
So let's see who wins!
Williams often has been nominated twice in the same year (also something I don't really think of being justified sometimes) and he didn't win.

So let's wait and see who the academy will choose. Cool
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you can make an argument that "most" of the thematical material is different. A lot is the same on some, don't get me wrong, but it only takes 51% different to not be "most".

jeff
sdg
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with J2. Looking at LOTR alone, there were several themes which were not introduced in the first movie that came into being as the trilogy progressed. I do agreee with you about the Goldsmith though, BP. He should have even more under his belt than he did (that guy composed for EVERYTHING! Have you seen his imdb page?!)
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Auroter wrote:
I do agreee with you about the Goldsmith though, BP. He should have even more under his belt than he did (that guy composed for EVERYTHING! Have you seen his imdb page?!)

Yup, I did.
Okay, I agree about LOTR, there were several new approaches... but it's a sequel though, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: