StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Musicals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
composer25jimmy
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 143

composer25jimmy is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website composer25jimmy's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:54 pm   Post subject: Musicals Reply with quote

I was just wanting to know some really cool musical movies that people have seen and liked. For example, "Moulin Rouge"

*Moved from Playlist to Soundtracks* by JERIC
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite musicals are:
Phantom of the Opera, Newsies, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, and Mary Poppins.

-LOTRKing
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Old School stuff A LOT! Oklahoma is one of my favorites, yet it is mysteriously not on SST. hmmmm? West Side Story is another one of my favorites, but I like the whole "Romeo & Juliette" vibe.

I liked Moulin Rouge for a newer musical.
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe LOTRKing should change his nickname to DUOTKing... Digging Up Old Threads King

Laughing
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Wink

-LOTRKing
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

More power to DUOTKing... usually I'm too lazy to do it myself! Wink

I don't particularly care for most musicals... too much singing! Laughing
That said, I do like Moulin Rouge and some of the stuff from Phantom of the Opera.

@BuyerQueen: it seems to me that you are ideally placed to slip Oklahoma (or anything else you like) into JERIC's music collection... Twisted Evil
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14474

ramonrq is offline View user's profile Send private message ramonrq's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Phantom of the Opera... I like Lloyd Webber a lot... I think he is the best musician now.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll get crap for this, but I'm a little disappointed that Jim Steinman's Batman musical was dumped (for that Lestat Broadway debacle, no less!). I don't really know if it would have flown on stage, but he released some demos which tell me that there would have been moments of brilliance in the score. think they should just release a concept album; that would make me happy. I was just listening to the demos today, so it's in my mind.

If people would like to keep informed on movie musicals, there is a site, moviemusicals.net, that seems poised to return after a hiatus. Not holding my breath, however.
USA lotrgirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay musicals!! I love Les Miserables, Annie Get Your Gun, Fiddler on the Roof, Phantom of the Opera. Just a few that I like!!
Ensign

Member#: 14735

Ruka is offline View user's profile Send private message Ruka's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers have some good movie adaptations and soundtracks to boot if you're just getting into that genre. Smile I still have not seen Phantom to comment on it...one day. Everyone I've talked to who likes musicals and have seen Phantom say its really worth it.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BuyerQueen wrote:
I like Old School stuff A LOT! Oklahoma is one of my favorites

LOTRKing wrote:
My favorite musicals are .. My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls ..

lotrgirl wrote:
Yay musicals!! I love .. Annie Get Your Gun, Fiddler on the Roof ..

Ruka wrote:
Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Looks like you’re not the only one, BQ. Very Happy

My all-time fave is South Pacific (the one with Mitzi Gaynor):

Every song a gem including gorgeous Bali Ha’i and the hilarious Bloody Mary and There Is Nothing Like A Dame.

That said, I’m not sure I’m in favor of adding more musicals to SST. There are plenty of other venues for that genre, and we’ve barely scratched the surface of the 47,000+ regular film music tracks in the current playlist.
ArchitRen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18166

ArchitRen is offline View user's profile Send private message View ArchitRen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the thread I was looking for. I was wondering about this very topic recently. I love it when I catch Phantom on SST and was wandering if there's a way to add just s few of the classics, such as My Fair Lady and Oklahoma.

I understand Twopop's position and don't necessarily disagree... however, if we're going to have the occasional vocals, I'd much rather hear a great musical number than Tina Turner, Bette Middler or Sarah Michelle Geller. Smile

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oklahoma is around here somewhere, I donated it last month!!

You can always make a poll and get folks to vote on the soundtracks you would like to see added to the playlist.

BQ
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for donating Oklahoma! BQ. Now I can listen to my native state song whenever I start to miss it. Cool

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising this thread from the dead, as it were. I know, it's only "mostly dead."

The Tim Burton movie of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd comes out later this month. Go to the official site and you can actually hear a good chunk of the score: selections from the most famous songs, and the entirety of "A Little Priest."

I was looking forward to this movie with my usual trepidation that accompanies all Tim Burton films. I didn't like Corpse Bride, which was a heartbreaker, because I believe that it could have been a really great movie. (Good to hear Michael Gough again, though. That man can do no wrong by me.) I'm disappointed in Sweeney Todd ahead of time, now, for two reasons.

1) I've heard Johnny Depp sing the role, and it's too much for him. I'm often disappointed with the singing on musical movies, because they are recorded differently, and the singing is never as grand as it is on a Broadway recording. But Depp is out of his league here. Listening to him slide around on "Epiphany," probably the most difficult piece in the show, is hard for me. He sounds as bad as Gerard Butler did on Phantom. Okay, maybe not that bad. But it's hard.

2) They've cut "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd!" Not only is this, IMHO, the cornerstone of the score, but this cut is also the reason why Christopher Lee and Anthony Head will not appear in the film, which makes me sad. I'll just have to get my fix of him when REPO: The Genetic Opera comes out in April. Oh yeah. There's no way I'm not seeing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: