StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Brilliant Joe Hisaishi (For Alchemist)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I have not got it. There are too many to pick from. Which is your favorite?
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnaly i have the american version of Laputa, and as i am used to listen to it, i must say i love it. But it is true that the original version is less "soft".
Let me explain, the music is longer in the american version than in the original. For example when Pazu catch sheeta as she fall from the sky at the beginning, in the original version you can hear the piece of wood, on wich Pazu is, squeeze because of the weigth.
In the american version, this sound is dissimulated by the end of the Laputa theme.

But this is still a very good piece of music !
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Tree, and good answer, PomPom Very Happy

I agree with you, Pom, the original soundtrack really fits to the movie while the american version doesn't really work with it. But, taken alone, the remake is very good !

On the other hand, the original version has a 'freshness' that the later version doesn't have, with a less sophisticated orchestral part and although it uses synthesizers more.

I'd say it's a question of personal taste: both soundtracks are very good, but if you prefer full orchestrated pieces then you should go for the american version. As for myself, I do prefer the original version.
Commander

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

PomPom Sweeeeeeet avatar dude! Good pick.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After hereing from you guys I think the US version would better suit my tastes. I love Orchesteral stuff.
Lieutenant Commander

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you treebob
fantus
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 8623

fantus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website fantus's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hisaishi himself was very pleased about the american version, I read it in japanese newspaper when I was on family visit some months ago, my grandmother kept it, I may be able to get scan of it.

I myself prefer the original version, it has a more interesting structure in my opinion compared to the american. But as far as I know the american version even got higher sale notes in Japan than the most average american ones.
dalandis
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9583

dalandis is offline View user's profile Send private message View dalandis's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The Yamadas and Pom Poko are out now!????

I must go see if they are at my local store asap!

I love Ghibli movies so much (and the FANTASTIC music in each)

I own:
Porco Roso
Kiki
Mononoke
The Cat Returns
Spirited Away
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky

I want to get soundtracks for them too: I only have:
Spirited Away
Mononoke
Mononoke (Symph Suite)

Would LOVE to get my hands on Porco, Kiki, Laputa, Howl's

Sorry so random...

Thanks for the thread guys!
dalandis
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

dalandis is offline View user's profile Send private message View dalandis's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The Yamadas and Pom Poko are now mine (my local best buy had them!)

Can't wait to see! Did not know they were out!

What's the best web site for knowing when these are released? Or is there one with an e-mail newsletter. (my existing animated news letter left me in the dark on this one!)
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted but it dissapeared!

OK so yes I did know about it. I was not very excited about Pom (big Testicles) Poko because I have the Chineese version of it and did not enjoy it very much. I am interested in watching the Yamadas, it is a cartoon type animation. In general I am not a very big Takahata fan (Grave of the Fireflys is supposed to be the saddest movie ever).

I absolutely loved Whisper of the Heart. It is directed by Kondo and written by Miyazaki. The dub is done and they are awaiting release (legal issues).

Dalandis if you want any news that is usefull you have to go to http://www.nausicaa.net

For all Disney dub info go to http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/studioghibli/studioghiblidvd.html
Cadet 1

Member#: 8623

fantus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website fantus's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

dalandis, have you ever seen Grave of the Fireflies? Studio Ghibli rates that one as one of their most preffered, and the music is wonderfull too.

There used to be ghibli events in Japan where you could get those OST's for free if you bought a ticket to watch their 2 favorite movies with commentary..

But make sure that you have that one its being seen as the best Anime movie ever made, in Japan that is Smile
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

pom -> Nice avatar indeed, Pom, its name is Teto, right ?!

fantus -> a scan of this article would be cool, but I guess it's in japanese, isn't it? so not that easy to read Smile

dalandis -> www.nausicaa.net is indeed THE place to go

Tree -> didn't see Pompoko yet. I do like Grave of the Fireflies a lot, but I generally propose to watch Totoro after this one, in order not to be too depressed Smile

Thank you for posting guys Very Happy pfff, I'm late for work, talk to you later...
Lieutenant Commander

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

to Alchemist : yes, its name is teto

to all : please write pompoko and not just pom because i feel concern Very Happy Very Happy

and i must say that grave of the fireflies is very good but change a lot from miyazaki's films and type of drawing
dalandis
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I will have to look into Grave of the Fireflies but so far have been avoiding on purpose. (Due to all the reviews I have read online about how amazingly depressing it is. Reports of people crying all day after seeing it. Hmmmm. Sounds like fun.)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

'Grave of the Fireflies' is Takahata's master piece that you must see as an animation fan, and that you must see even if you are not Smile Reminds me of this quote that marked me as a child 'The first casualty of war is innocence'

In france, we have the chance to see another takahata movie released these days on DVD. Jarinko Chie' ('Chie the Brat', or 'Kie La Petite Peste') is a little bit similar to the 'Yamada' and is also very nice Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: