StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Question about OGG stream, and other ramblings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:30 am   Post subject: Question about OGG stream, and other ramblings. Reply with quote

Nice to see there is some choice available other than just MP3Pro. Many thanks! Just out of curiosity, do you know what version of encoder is being used for the Vorbis stream? Also, is the source still lossy as well? I'm assuming it is based on the artifacts I'm hearing (albeit their milder with Vorbis thankfully). You might want to look into the aoTuV Beta 4 codec if your able to pick and choose which gets used (I don't know much about SAM or if that's possible). It's been greatly tuned to improve sound quality at lower bitrates, and I wouldn't be surprised if Monty made it part of the official Vorbis codec. If you can't then hopefully Spacial will eventually update/add it in themselves.

Well, I better go set up an automatic monthly PayPal donation. I promised myself I would once the audio quality improved and I was able to listen again without cringing, heh. Sorry, it's not your fault or anything, so don't feel bad. I just can't stand MP3Pro is all. Thank goodness it's an outdated and dead format (according to the folks over at Winamp anyways), and is slowly being replaced. Especially since the Winamp plugin causes all kinds of problems and will likely never be fixed by Thompson (it was made for Winamp 2.x after all). Speaking of which, still looking forward to aacPlusv2 (aka HE-AAC+PS) support in SAM and on this site in the coming months! I truly believe that day is going to make everything better for everyone! I've noticed the ACC+ streams already outbumber the MP3Pro streams by a good amount on Shoutcast.

Keep it up, and thanks for all your hard work in providing a truly spectacular and high quality service to the community. It is very much appreciated by all soundtrack lovers, whether they take the time to say it or not. Wink
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what version the ogg encoder is. Yes, the source is still lossy. It will be that way for a while. Consider it a trade off for having such a large library. We can only use the encoders what come in SAM. The server doesn't have a sound card either which restricts our encoder possibilities. AAC+ will be out soon and hopefully Live365 will support it soon too. Once that happens almost all our streams will be aacPlus. You're right, aacPlus will be our (webcasters and listeners) saviour. Thanks again for the comments and thanks for contributing too. I'm glad you are happy. We'll always strive to improve things here.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of sound card do you need? Would any old one do or do have very specific requirements?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

probably doesn't find in a machine with the size of a pizza box :-)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They do make daughter cards that I've seen used to put 2 PCI cards into a 1U server before, so it's physically possible. Getting the car to the box, installed, and configured might be another issue, though. And likely not worth the risk/effort.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple of PCI slots available on a riser card but it's not worth it for us when aacPlus is coming out anyway later this year.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always USB sound cards as an alternative, and they are generally not too expensive. As long as the machine has at least one USB port that is also free of course.

Edit Missed your post Jeric. Ok, was mainly just curious because I thought maybe I could donate something if it was needed, but if it's not because of aacPlus then thats good too. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: