StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Long non-VIP request times
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally disagree with the "putting down" stuff in the chat.

We as the crew try to make the best out of SST putting lots of time and money in it to make it the best for everyone. I stated some facts in the chat after Rogue logged on and started expressing his opinions about the non-VIP times and VIP costs. Without even saying hello first.

Rogue accused *me* of calling him an idiot first. So who is putting who down?

Read the log and judge yourself.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that day cal. He was doing the same thing later in part of the log you didn't post. It is very irritating to have chat turn that way. If you have a complaint, email the station, admins or mods, or put it in the forum. Keep chat fun. If someone new logs in and sees ppl complaining about the station, do you think they'll stay?
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue and Cal: I think you guys should both shake hands, agree to disagree, and move on. The last thing we need here is an angry feud in what is supposed to be a peaceful community.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't mean to start a feud with anybody. For what it's worth, I think I tied the chat up with my complaints for a grand total of about an hour and a half, at the very outside, spread over two mornings.

Also, I do not believe that I returned later that day, as thur stated. I'd ask for someone to post proof of that. Once I knew I could e-mail JERIC, I am fairly certain that I stayed clear of the chat, at least as far as bringing up my complaint. It's possible that I'm confused, but I believe that this is correct. Thur, do you have the log from later that day? I think you're probably thinking of the previous day, which was when you and I had a bump in the chat.

I'm sorry I didn't say hello. I tend to glance at the chat sporadically throughout the day whenever I have a spare moment and occasionally say something if it strikes me. I am generally not really on the chat for any length of time, so I pretty well skip the "hello/goodbye" thing because I'd have to do it about thirty times a day. If that was interpreted by anyone as being unfriendly, I am sorry.

Again, I'm sorry if the chat was the wrong place to bring it up. I thought the chat was for just that. And, in my defense, that only happened twice and, once I was aware that I could e-mail JERIC, I backed out of the chat and did so.

And as for all the put down stuff, I understand where you're coming from, but it certainly felt like a put down when, rather than addressing my arguments logically and respectfully, the administrators simply called it 'whining.' For the record, that's the big issue for me . . . disagree if you want, but at least have the respect to allow me my opinion as what it is: a logical and well-thought argument, not a knee jerk whine.
Saffron
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue wrote:

For the record, that's the big issue for me . . . disagree if you want, but at least have the respect to allow me my opinion as what it is: a logical and well-thought argument, not a knee jerk whine.

Respect is a good word to for each of us to think about in all of this. The dictionary tells us that it means to regard with honor and esteem.

We certainly want to treat all of our listeners with respect and make sure everyone gets a chance to participate. This is what makes SST more than just a radio station, it is a true community. We get to interact with one another on many levels, through requests, chat, and forums. And each of us contributes to the site. VIPs are more than just people who pay for the privilege. For those members that have shown themselves to be outstanding in some way, for example, whether it be by helping out JERIC with a project or participating in a contest he or she will be thanked with VIP membership.

Truth be told, viewing the chat and seeing words like "blackmail" and "coercion" was disturbing to me. Those are very strong and serious words, similar to the word respect and would seem like a knee-jerk reaction versus a well-thought out argument. As a former mod, you know the time and dedication and money it takes to run a site and it is simple economics to realize that all of those resources increase as the popularity of the site increases. Every bit of money that JERIC receives goes back into this site to make it a better place.

I am sorry that you cannot afford to purchase a VIP membership. And that if you could you would "refuse to give satisfaction." I certainly will honor your decision. Please note that we are not trying to blackmail or coerce anyone. We want to reward those that have dedicated time or money to the site. In turn it appears that we have made it seem like a punishment for everyone else. This was and is not the intention.

We ask for patience from all of you, as we try to strike a balance with requests and queue, with nonVIP and VIP status, as well as handling the greater volume of listeners. Rest assured that requests will always be in place for ALL listeners.

I believe it is important for me to share with you how I feel about this site. I am so grateful for its existence that it goes beyond words. At the foundation is an incredible playlist of music that inspires me. I would love this site if all I could do was go to Live365 and click on the listen link. But it gets better, I can do more than listen amazing music, I get to listen to it for free and with no ads. JERIC didn't stop there, he decided to build a user-friendly website that listeners can come together. And just to make it the best radio station ever, he gave up his sole rights to choosing his own music and let's us run the show. Even at just one request a day, how freaking cool is that?! So at the end of the day, if I was stripped of all "perks" that go with this site I would still be happy.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Saffron said:

"I believe it is important for me to share with you how I feel about this site. I am so grateful for its existence that it goes beyond words. At the foundation is an incredible playlist of music that inspires me. I would love this site if all I could do was go to Live365 and click on the listen link. But it gets better, I can do more than listen amazing music, I get to listen to it for free and with no ads. JERIC didn't stop there, he decided to build a user-friendly website that listeners can come together. And just to make it the best radio station ever, he gave up his sole rights to choosing his own music and let's us run the show. Even at just one request a day, how freaking cool is that?! So at the end of the day, if I was stripped of all "perks" that go with this site I would still be happy"

I dont mean to intrude however This is exactly how I feel about this site Saff! Well said and thanks for putting it into words!

rebecca
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue said couple of unnecessary words but I would like to say a few words defending him:

First: he said "Cal-sorry." quite quickly. (see log at 9:49)

Second: I can understand he could get a bit excited when Cal was talking about VIP status costing only 13 cents a day. Rogue said it straight he couldn't afford it and I bet he was aware how much VIP status costs or how to calculate VIP costs per day, week, month etc. Because I also bet Rogue is "not an idiot" Wink

Third: after that chat incident Rogue addressed his arguments logically and respectfully here. And again he said he was sorry.

So please forgive Rogue his emotional words. I think there's no point to feel offended. I suppose nor Cal wanted to put down Rogue talking about money, neither Rogue wanted to put down Cal or any other SST admin or mod by his emotional words (at least not knowingly, not specially).

Let us enjoy the music. I prefer thinking about Rogue that he knows how to request good music every time he does it - than remembering he used just few "wrong" words once in chat.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And Saffy, I agree with you this is fantastic radio station. And the music is the most important part of it.

As a newbie I would like to thank you and JERIC for warm reception here. I think that both of you and all the admins and mods do great job! Thank you for fantastic radio station and playlist.

Current requesting times look ok for me (4hrs/30mins). 24 hrs for non VIPs and just 15-30 minutes for VIPs was too big gap (difference) in my opinion.
For me 24hrs/15min was rather a way to convince people becoming VIPs and not the way to keep queue short.
Of course it is JERIC who decides how to run this station and I would probably listen to SST even at very high requesting times for non VIPs.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:

Current requesting times look ok for me (4hrs/30mins). 24 hrs for non VIPs and just 15-30 minutes for VIPs was too big gap (difference) in my opinion.
For me 24hrs/15min was rather a way to convince people becoming VIPs and not the way to keep queue short.

Exactly. Saff, I understand your opinion and I do respect you, but I saw no reward for the VIPs. As I stated in my e-mail to JERIC, their request time stayed around the same, while the non-VIPs shot up. I think it's fairly logical to view that as a punishment for the non-VIPs, rather than as a reward to the VIPs.

If such was not intended, fine, I accept that. But you have to realize that, as was stated above, that really did nothing to help the queue length and, as such, I could hardly help seeing it as a pure attempt to make people really, really want to be VIPs.

My remark about not giving satisfaction is one of those I wish I could take back. But understand how I felt at the time . . . like I'd been spit on, like I was being railroaded. I'm sorry if the words I used seemed strong. But jumping the request time from four hours to twelve is pretty strong itself, isn't it?

Thanks, Molossus, for your kind words. I do hope we can all move past this with a minimum of hard feelings.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get it. How are we punishing non-VIPs? Lets say I started giving candy to all the children in my neighbourhood for free everyday. But there are getting too many children in the neighbour hood. So reduce giving the candy to the children everyday, but give candy to them once a week. Is that punishement? do not think so.

The reflect the VIPs:
Lets say that some of the parents are my friends or help me out in someway. Am I wrong to give those children candy every day? I do not think so
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you guys had your reasons, but because you had other reasons in mind from the outset, it may be hard for you to see things from the perspective of someone who just logs on one day to see it from the outside. This is one of the great difficulties of administration, at least in my experience: making sure that things which may seem very plain and obvious to you are, in fact, also plain and obvious to people who are not involved with policy discussions. Most of the time, these things are not as plain as the rule makers would like to believe.

Let me see if I can make this, heh heh, plain . . . since that seems to be my word for the day.

Using your candy analogy as an example . . . you, as the person giving out the candy, know why you are cutting back. However, can you not also understand the perspective of the children? They will only know that they used to receive candy, now they do not. And others are still receiving candy on a regular basis. Can you not understand why it might look to them like it is punishment?

I am not saying that you were trying to punish non-VIPs. I am saying that the action that was taken, coupled with the fact that the stated reason was not particularly valid, made it appear as a punishment to those of us on the outside.

Now . . . the request times are now more equitable. I feel I've been given a fair hearing (even if not everyone agrees, at least everyone has listened). And the queue length seems to be more manageable. So, for the sake of peace and community, I would like to drop at least my part of this discussion. I think I've said everything I wanted to say as well as I can.

One more time, let me apologize if the words or tone of any of my remarks gave serious offense.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the price we pay for becoming successful...

There is no solution that is going to make everyone happy. I think we should take a step back and be appreciative that JERIC has made this wonderful site for us and be thankful to all of the people who have donated time, money, content and bandwidth so that we can listen to SST.

I think it is a nice perk that everyone is able to request songs, in general.

Rogue wrote:
Using your candy analogy as an example . . . you, as the person giving out the candy, know why you are cutting back. However, can you not also understand the perspective of the children? They will only know that they used to receive candy, now they do not. And others are still receiving candy on a regular basis. Can you not understand why it might look to them like it is punishment?

While I see what you are saying, I must state that for the most part we are all adults here. Adults understand the difference between someone who pays for something and gets it versus getting something for free. For example, when you pay an additional monthly fee, you can get HBO. If you don't pay the additional fee, you may get a free preview here and there but you won't get to watch it anytime you want. So let's act like adults. Rogue, you are not being 'punished,' you are complaining because you want something for free that others pay for and you can't have it for free. Grow up.

I read the chat log, and it seems that Rogue is the one who suddenly shows up with an accusatory attitude. Rogue starts the conversation with a blatantly sarcastic comment: 13 Oct 05 - 09:31","Rogue","Wow, VIPs just keep getting more important . . . now they are 144 times more important than I am. " then continues with statements like: " I refuse to give the satisfaction." and "But now I have to be honest. I really don't feel like it. " Then Rogue states: "Maybe I'm stubborn, but nothing makes me want to do something less than when someone tries to blackmail me into doing it. " Blackmail? Huh? You still get a free request, you just don't get to do it as often as the people who pay to do so. We are not Communists here, we are Capitalists. Don0don even offered Rogue his request (more than one time), which Rogue just ignores. To be honest, all I see in the chat are people who don't understand what Rogue means but are still trying to be nice to him. SST has a history of antagonizing people who act as Rogue is here, but it didn't even happen on this occasion. I could proceed with examples of where Rogue just blatantly wants to be mad and in fact is trying to antagonize everyone because he is pissed off and is purposefully twisting things around to feed his anger. The fact is Rogue appears to have an underlying issue: he's pissed off because he can't afford the VIP membership. Instead of aspiring to someday be in a position where he can afford it, he comes up with this elaborate scheme that SST is out to punish him. "Rogue","And I hope to reach the place where I can. But now I have to be honest. I really don't feel like it. " (I'm assuming he is referring to not feeling like becoming a VIP, not not feeling like reaching a place where he can afford it). So again, I say grow up.

Everyone should be happy that they get to request at all. It is a privilege for all and JERIC could just as easily let SAM pick all of the songs all day long.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
I dont get it. How are we punishing non-VIPs? Lets say I started giving candy to all the children in my neighbourhood for free everyday. But there are getting too many children in the neighbour hood. So reduce giving the candy to the children everyday, but give candy to them once a week. Is that punishement? do not think so.

The reflect the VIPs:
Lets say that some of the parents are my friends or help me out in someway. Am I wrong to give those children candy every day? I do not think so

I am afraid the situation you are talking about above is not a good example Cal. It is not suitable to the real situation at SST.

To make your story a bit more similar to the SST reality from my point of view I woud put it this way:

Lets say you put very big amount of candy for all the children for free everyday. But you ask them: It is free for everybody but please pay attention and don't take more than 25 kilograms a day in total.

Let us say that after a while you see that all the children together are taking away 30 kilograms of candies per day in total. And the other thing you see is that one (smaller) group of children that live close to your house and can visit you more often (let us call them "VIPs") take 20 kilograms from total of 30. The other (bigger in number) group of children that are from the whole city and go longer way to reach your house so they can use less of your candies ("non-VIPs") take 10 kilos.
So you make a decision: To keep amount of candies you give away at 25 kg per day, you let VIPs take 20 kilograms (no change for them) but you say that non-VIPs can take only 5 kgs per day (that means twice less than before). You are making only one group of children taking much less although both groups had their part in excessing a day limit you asked them to obey. And that is a bit unfair for me.

Last edited by molossus on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeBob wrote:
Just be glad Cocles doesn't come around anymore Smile

Cue Jaws theme.... Wink
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie, you're just adding more salt to the wound. Rogue already apoligized for his behavior and he restated his arguments in an appropriate manner. What more do you want from him?
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: