StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Long non-VIP request times
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie, I do not want the same treatment as VIPs. Nowhere did I say that and nowhere will I say that. I have simply said that the treatment of the VIPs and non-VIPs should be more equitable.

For the record, yeah, I was ticked off that day. I have admitted that a couple of times now. Feel free to keep bringing it up. It does weaken my position and it is easier than addressing my concerns in a logical fashion. So, a win/win for you: weaken my position without actually addressing anything.

See, you act like I don't know requesting is a perk. I know that. But taking away a perk is as much a slap as taking away something that isn't a perk, isn't it?

You say I'm whining because I want something I don't want to pay for. No, I'm pointing out that the treatment of the non-VIPs was unequitable.

I know I said I wasn't going to post so we could keep things friendly. So, sorry. But please, don't psychoanalyze me, okay? I'm not being snippy or sarcasting. Just please don't. Just take my concerns at face value and don't try to argue that I'm angry because I'm poor and we all know poverty foments rebellion.

Which, by the way, is hardly a 'capitalist' idea. Wink

Again, you bring up my blackmail remark. Yeah, that came around to bite me, didn't it? Molossus said it himself: raising non-VIP request time looks like a ploy to get people to become VIPs. And I honestly don't see what the fact that I still get one request a day has to do with anything. Except when you consider that I had previously gotten two or three in the same time period.

So, I'm sorry I used strong words. But I simply state that tripling request time was a strong method. Strength for strength. Do I wish I hadn't used that word now? Yes, I do, because people seem to be fixated on it and its distracting from the validity of my argument.

So, to summarize: I once again apologize for being a little upset. I once again apologize for using emotional words.

Do you think you can find it in your heart to forgive me this time, Pixie? And everyone? Or how many times do you want me to apologize? Because I will do it. I'll eat dirt. I'll apologize a hundred times, if you want me too. Just let's please get past this and stop bringing up my admittedly shameful behavior in the chat, okay? Please.

Oh, and one last thing: arguing for improvements does not prove dislike. I love this website. I've said that several times too.

If you want to skim this post (and I get the distinct impression that most people are doing so already) at least read this:

The main point is this: I have apologized for my behavior in the chat several times. I was angry and anger is never justified. I apologized that very day at least twice before I left (in case you people who are dissecting the chat somehow missed those lines) and I also stated that I knew I had not expressed myself very well. So, in short, everything I said in the chat, I have apologized for and clarified. So, can we close the book on it please? Please?

Geez, somebody should total up how often I apologized for that blackmail remark . . . Confused

EDIT: Thanks, Johnny.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
You are making only one group of children taking much less although both groups had their part in excessing a day limit you asked them to obey. And that is a bit unfair for me.

Nope this is not unfair. VIPs contribute to the site by becoming a l365 member. So it is a mutual relationship, give and take on both sides. So your two groups are not the same. We give one group more. Why, because we asked them to pay money for a 3rd party service. We have to reward them for that.
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
molossus wrote:
You are making only one group of children taking much less although both groups had their part in excessing a day limit you asked them to obey. And that is a bit unfair for me.

Nope this is not unfair. VIPs contribute to the site by becoming a l365 member. So it is a mutual relationship, give and take on both sides. So your two groups are not the same. We give one group more. Why, because we asked them to pay money for a 3rd party service. We have to reward them for that.

I can't speak for Molossus, but I was never arguing that the VIPs should not have relatively shorter request times. I was simply saying that 12 hours vs. 10 minutes was a bit steep.

I am not trying to say we should all be equal. Just that we should be more balanced than we were.

Just to clarify. Clarify my opinion. Which has no more validity than yours.

In other words, the principle of a difference is not unequitable. I felt the extremity of that difference was unfair.

The times as of today seem much more equitable. To me at least.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue wrote:
See, you act like I don't know requesting is a perk. I know that. But taking away a perk is as much a slap as taking away something that isn't a perk, isn't it?

Only if you felt entitled to it.

And that's really what any argument in favor of better non-vip request times will come back to.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
VIPs contribute to the site by becoming a l365 member. So it is a mutual relationship, give and take on both sides. So your two groups are not the same.

You are right Cal! That is why VIPs "take music" from SST basket more frequently than non-VIPs (and have few other privileges: no ads, no full stream etc).
And it is OK! I fully support it.

Rogue wrote:
I was never arguing that the VIPs should not have relatively shorter request times. I was simply saying that 12 hours vs. 10 minutes was a bit steep.

(...)

The times as of today seem much more equitable. To me at least.

100% agreed!
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:

Still using Cal's example of children: If you said that all children can take candies for free I think all of them can feel entitled to it.

Non-VIPs are also part of a community here and have some rights granted before by JERIC's decision. So if you are stripping them of these (even a bit) they can feel like something has changed, and not in their favour.

Of course JERIC can shut the door at any moment saying "no more candies, good bye" but then probably you will have community no more. Wink
Shinnen
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9389

Shinnen is offline View user's profile Send private message Shinnen's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this station and letting non-VIPs request a song every 12 hours or 4 hours is a little strict. I'm a non-VIP for only 2 reasons. I don't live in USA and I don't earn enough to be a VIP as using my salary to survive is way important (i can't use the station if i'm dead) :p Anyway, I think letting non-VIPs request once every 2 hours is reasonable for me. As for the amount of times VIPs can request, i guess it's their privilege as they do of course pay for VIP status and many of them donate to the SST as well (look at the Humongous amount donated recently by some listeners).
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Cocles wrote:

Still using Cal's example of children: If you said that all children can take candies for free I think all of them can feel entitled to it.

Exactly.

These children feel entitled to this candy even though they're not.

Just as non-contributing, non-vip members feel they're entitled to more reasonable request limits, even though they're not.

SST owes non-contributing, non-vip members nothing.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Caliburn wrote:
I dont get it. How are we punishing non-VIPs? Lets say I started giving candy to all the children in my neighbourhood for free everyday. But there are getting too many children in the neighbour hood. So reduce giving the candy to the children everyday, but give candy to them once a week. Is that punishement? do not think so.

The reflect the VIPs:
Lets say that some of the parents are my friends or help me out in someway. Am I wrong to give those children candy every day? I do not think so

I am afraid the situation you are talking about above is not a good example Cal. It is not suitable to the real situation at SST.

To make your story a bit more similar to the SST reality from my point of view I woud put it this way:

Lets say you put very big amount of candy for all the children for free everyday. But you ask them: It is free for everybody but please pay attention and don't take more than 25 kilograms a day in total.

Let us say that after a while you see that all the children together are taking away 30 kilograms of candies per day in total. And the other thing you see is that one (smaller) group of children that live close to your house and can visit you more often (let us call them "VIPs") take 20 kilograms from total of 30. The other (bigger in number) group of children that are from the whole city and go longer way to reach your house so they can use less of your candies ("non-VIPs") take 10 kilos.
So you make a decision: To keep amount of candies you give away at 25 kg per day, you let VIPs take 20 kilograms (no change for them) but you say that non-VIPs can take only 5 kgs per day (that means twice less than before). You are making only one group of children taking much less although both groups had their part in excessing a day limit you asked them to obey. And that is a bit unfair for me.

I don't know, Molossus. To my mind, your analogy doesn't make more sense than Cal's. Your argument is based on the idea that VIP requests and non-VIP requests should be scaled back proportionally.

But there is no such rule.

And frankly, JERIC and the admins have every right to make decisions about the queue as they see fit. This station is not a public service. It's privately held, and it is a privilege and an honor (NOT a right) for VIPs and non-VIPs alike to be able to enjoy listening to JERIC's soundtrack collection, no matter how the request process is set up.

And here's some fair warning: Take on Cocles at your own risk. I know you haven't been around for long enough to know this, but he eats newbies for breakfast.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:

I don't know, Molossus. To my mind, your analogy doesn't make more sense than Cal's. Your argument is based on the idea that VIP requests and non-VIP requests should be scaled back proportionally.

And frankly, JERIC and the admins have every right to make decisions about the queue as they see fit.

Of course you are right Hurr. Jeric and admins have every right and it is not a public service.

But should VIPs and non-VIPs requests be in some way scaled back proportionally? This radio is not public service so there is no such obligation but I think it would be good for community if they could (not only because I'am non-VIP myself). At least as long as JERIC says that this radio station is free and non-VIPs can request (so as long as non VIPs are treated as part of community).

Last edited by molossus on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:

And here's some fair warning: Take on Cocles at your own risk. I know you haven't been around for long enough to know this, but he eats newbies for breakfast.

I have been warned! Wink
I have nothing against being eaten up Smile
Especially after good discussion.
I'm happy we have Cocles' attention here.

Last edited by molossus on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
These children feel entitled to this candy even though they're not.

Just as non-contributing, non-vip members feel they're entitled to more reasonable request limits, even though they're not.

SST owes non-contributing, non-vip members nothing.

And what about contributing non-vip? Does it change anything? Wink
OK, I am getting away from main topic. Sorry!

Back on topic.
You are right Cocles that SST has no obligation to non-contributing non-vips. Frankly SST owes nothing to all listeners (vip members too). VIPs have agreement with live 365 (correct me if I'm wrong) so at any moment JERIC can shut SST down with no obligation to ex-listeners I suppose. Am I right or wrong?

So, don't VIPs have just the same declaration from JERIC as non VIPs. I mean that they have declaration they will be treated here this or that way. Of course VIPs are declared a bit more (because they are VIPs) but up-to-date both VIPs and non-VIPs are declared the right to listen to the music and to make requests. It is not obligation of SST - it is just declaration.

So what VIPs are paying here for today? For listening to the music? For the right to request? I don't think so. Listening to the music and requesting is provided for every registered member. This is what JERIC lets every member letting him to register with no extra requirements. And it is free (so money doesn't play a part here).

So for me both groups should be respected in some proportional way when it comes to listening to the music (e.g: quality of a stream) and requesting. Because they both are entitled to it free as long as JERIC doesn't change his mind that SST is for all willing listeners for free.

Since requesting is a right of every member of this community (by JERIC's decision of course), I think that all members can rightfully expect that changes in right of requesting will be reasonable and in some way proportional. At least as long as JERIC keeps SST a free radio and keeps requesting a part of SST.

That's why I can understand people who -like Rogue- were a bit frustrated by sudden rise in nonVIPs requesting times. Because, for a moment, it could have made an impression of narrowing nonVIPs rights as a "punishment" for long queue times. Times that were created as well from VIPs requests and nonVIPs requests. So (for a moment) it might have looked a bit unfair to nonVIPs.

So to sum it up: In legal terms JERIC and SST owes us nothing as well as we owe nothing to SST.
But as long as we try to be a community we should try to respect everyone: JERIC, Admins, Mods and both VIPs and nonVIPs. For example by not making sudden and large changes in mutual situation of VIPs and nonVIPs. Of course it is not obligation but for sure it is a good custom (habit? practice?) in every community. Of course you can run your radio with no respect for good habits and doing so you risk merely nothing (only that you will lose your listeners;)). But I'm sure JERIC cares for listeners of SST. So I'm sure that JERIC cares for reasonable requesting times. And the proof I give you for that is that now we have quite reasonable requesting times for both VIPs and nonVIPs.

But maybe I'm wrong. If so I would gladly read what is your point of view in this matter.

P.S.: Excuse me it is long Sad English is not my native language so maybe I use too many words Wink Thank you for your patience!

Last edited by molossus on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:

I never stated that there was such a rule. I argued that there should be such a rule.

Hurr78 wrote:
And frankly, JERIC and the admins have every right to make decisions about the queue as they see fit. This station is not a public service. It's privately held, and it is a privilege and an honor (NOT a right) for VIPs and non-VIPs alike to be able to enjoy listening to JERIC's soundtrack collection, no matter how the request process is set up.

Darn right and I will defend the 'right' of JERIC to do whatever he wants with this website, short of breaking the law or attempting to foment genocide or something ludicrous like that.

But just because someone has the 'right' to do something does not mean that everything they do will be the 'right' thing. I pass someone on the street who has a flat tire. It is my 'right' to drive past them without blinking.

But a far, far more 'correct' thing to do would be to stop and help them. From a philosophical perspective, showing this courtesy would be more 'correct.'

Please note, I am not trying to argue an analogy between this situation and a flat tire or anything. I'm just using this as an example to prove that not everything we have the 'right' to do is necessarily the 'best' thing we could do.

Non-English speakers may have difficulty with this kind of debate, but this is not a debate in semantics, I promise.

As I've stated, if JERIC decides to keep request level at 12 hours, I'll still listen. If he decides to cut off requests for everyone and let SAM fill the queue, that's his right. But I don't think it's the best thing he could do.

As as he has the sovreign right as a human being to do what he wants with his property, so I have the sovreign right as a human being to express my dissenting opinion with dignity and respect. And that is all I have tried to do.

Hurr78 wrote:

Oh, the man's reputation precedes him. Wink I'm just honored to be in the same thread with the legend.

EDIT:

I was going to say something about Cocles' remark about the station owing non-VIPs nothing. It was going to be snippy. It was going to reference the page that touts registration. It was probably going to do nothing except inflame the situation.

But I've decided, probably wisely, that Molossus said it all, better than I could and with more decency and kindess.

Very well expressed, sir. I agree with you.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles must be sick because he seems to be restraining himself. I don't like this new and improved Cocles! Come back to the dark side Coc-miester before it is too late!

Beyond that, nice to see you in the forum Cocles.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the point: SST has a great community environment where you can make suggestions, which may or may not be taken into account. Rouge mucked up the process by acting out anger in the heat of the moment. I think at this point he has learned his lesson.

Many times JERIC and the admins test things out to see how they work. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it is not so good. If you don't like something, follow the proper channels and don't act like a Donald Dingus.

*glares at TreeBob* Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: