StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

I teach middle school too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:19 pm   Post subject: I teach middle school too. Reply with quote

I teach middle school up in Tacoma, Washington. I started out in Junior high and made the switch about 18 years ago now. Education is changing and I am not a happy camper. This was directed to Scholastic_Matt but the email was not working! I no long get to teach my passioin, Social Studies, but have to teach to Standards that are not open to each person's work. I am being shoved into a square hole, and I am so round!
Here are my thoughts.....
Love Maps and charts etc. I am best at Western Hemp. I have been to the countries I teach. Canada, Mexico,all of Central America, and parts of S.America. What makes me so sad is that I cannot share what I know.
"They" are redoing education to make students feel more a part of their education. Which means Ok lets get better test scores you dopes!!!
So the "what" in teaching is gone. The How is now in. That translate to do not tell the students how the Panama Canal was built. Who was involved in it over the years, show my videos of it, tell them what Mira Flores looks like and how the steam shovels are still rotting from when we dug it out, or how yellow fever was treated and cures found!
Instead I must show them the computer and say go find it yourself.
Tell them how to read ..the beginning, middle and end of a story.
Instruct them to think,critically or otherwise.

I am sad at all this. I could be a robutt, (misspell intended) and be as good NO better than the human I am.

Stepping off soap box, if you are not teaching SS now due to budget you must have strong feelings as well.

So do tell me, what is your passion?
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the argument thread. I believe you want this thread.

jeff
sdg
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:11 pm   Post subject: If it is not one thing it is another.. Reply with quote

Ok I got it moved as suggested.. now you might want to dump the post.. If i do it heaven only knows what I will do..
thanks much
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the argument thread. I believe you want this thread.

jeff
sdg

I always respect the proper use of a well-worn, hand-tooled, classical joke from a well-worn, hand-tooled, classical record -which will inevitably be stored on the back shelf collecting dust and then split up in a divorce- from Monty Python Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: