StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Respecting the Queue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is an acceptable length track to play when the queue is 3+ hours long?
None, when the queue is that long, I will not request.
71%
 71%  [ 37 ]
Less than 1 minute, short and sweet
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Between 1 and 3 minutes, long enough to enjoy a short theme
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Between 3 and 5 mintues, starting to add a little bulk to the queue
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Between 5 and 10 minutes, queue is growing longer quickly now
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Between 10 and 20 minutes, it better be really good if it this long
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 52

USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 pm   Post subject: Respecting the Queue Reply with quote

I am curious about how individuals approach requesting when the queue is really long (3+ hours). I personally try to request pieces that are 5 minutes or less when the queue gets to that point. Is this even too long a piece for such a long queue? Because I live and work on the west coast, the queue is usually pretty long by the time I get to work and get logged into SST. I have added a poll and encourage people to vote but would also like to see posted responses as I am curious about other's opinions on this subject. Smile
Canada pmf
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9561

pmf is offline View user's profile Send private message View pmf's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:58 pm   Post subject: 3hr + Queue Reply with quote

I sympathize Carl as I'm on Pacific time too and by the time I get to work the queue is quite long. This being said, as a general rule if the queue is 3 hours long or more I wait until it dips below and then make my request. I generally don't have to wait too long for this to happen. My understanding was that if the queue gets too long there is a greater chance of the site crashing, or is it purely a courtesy thing? Thanks.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like requesting once the queue hits 2 hr. 30 minutes. It goes up so fast, so quickly. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but we should respect the admins and watch the queue.
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually stick to tracks between one and two minutes during long queue hours.

By the way Carl, I think your reasoning for choosing longer tracks is understandable.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember the last time I requested something. Usually someone beats me to the ones I want. And my faviorate requests I usually queue at night.

Basically, I like to hear other people's Queues. It's more of an enjoyment to me, always hearing something new.

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If admins and mods say 3+ hrs queue is a problem I rather do not request at all even if I could.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stop all requesting at the 1:30 mark, except for the special occasions and very short tracks (measured in seconds, not minutes) when I'm trying to drum up donations with a queue message.

jeff
sdg
Saffron
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I stop requesting at 2 hours. However, once I get to California I will probably put 1 request in the queue in the morning no matter what the queue time.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

[off topic] are you moving to California Saff!?!?!? [off topic]

I request when I can (being a non-vip) but if it's above 2:30 hours or if admins tell us to watch the Q I of course don't....

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I request once a day
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to request 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon since I try to listen all day long!
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

after 2 hour most of the time i don't. when it hit 3 i love yelling at you all tho Wink
Ensign

Member#: 11958

pixelpusher is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website pixelpusher's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the queue can fill up pretty quickly. I usually don't request more than once a day. As a non-VIP, I can only request every four hours right now anyway. I agree that it is rude to the west coast SSTers to make them wait over 3 hours to hear their requests. I enjoy other people's requests too. I have heard some tracks that I may not hear otherwise because my tastes are more mainstream.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

over 3 hrs... no way will I request.

over 2.5 hrs.. maybe if I have an unquenchable urge to request.

over 2 hrs.. I usually will request.

as far as track length goes, I try to be respectful of other requesters. I won't request a song over 5 minutes long if the queue is over 2 hrs.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
UK Montybank
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 5290

Montybank is offline View user's profile Send private message Montybank's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much get one in the queue first thing in the morning, and then I forget to request later. As it is, as long as there's not too much bryan adams (as a mark of disrespect, his name shall not be capitalised...), I just enjoy listening to whatever is going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: