StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ennio Morricone Links & CDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
I am finally ready to branch out and try some more Morricone but it is just so darn confusing. For Example, it looks like you recommend getting the import of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly....but there are like 10 versions and hard to figure out which is the best of the lot.

The best and most complete release of GBU is the one from GDM: http://www.gdmmusic.com/index.php?f=scheda&s=txt&id=26

They have a lot of awesome Morricone releases, many of them are expanded versions of earlier releases. If you dont mind listening to mp3's you might also want to check out their "digital music club". You get a lot of music for the money there. If you do the math you can also save a little by going for the annual subscription and choosing some expensive releases. Wink
Cadet 4

Member#: 15086

Cyrano is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyrano's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
Well I just recently picked up La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull'Oceano by Ennio Morricone and am really looking forward to getting that one.

All Morricone's works for the Tornatore's films are great: Cinema Paradiso (one of my favorites), La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano, Malena, Una pura formalita...

Follow the Sensei advice about The Good, The Bad and the Ugly... that edition is the best one.

Quote:
Yo Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone is an awesome CD. In fact, I think it is one of my favorites period. I am addicted to the Ecstacy of Gold track!

Yeeeeah. It's probably my favorite CD... I love it. I love every track of the CD.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought this was a really slick youtube video and thought I would share it with all the Ennio Morricone enthusiasts!
Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 472

Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I never venture into the forums anymore (it's been over 2 years since I've posted anything), but I may have to make an exception for this forum. Thanks TwoPop for pointing me in this direction.

Morricone will make his first appearance EVER in concert in the US on Feb 3 at Radio City Music Hall, NYC. If anyone has any inside information, or knows where we can be assured of getting tickets, please let us know. I simply must go to this concert. I may commit hari-kari if miss it! Smile

I did have the wonderful experience of meeting Il Maestro in 2001 in Los Angeles when he came to the Academy Awards for his Best Score nomination of Malena. He was interviewed by Jon Burlingame. Afterwards, I shook his hand and had my picture taken with him. He also signed my CDs of Malena and Legend of 1900. It was a magical evening. Now to have the opportunity of seeing him in concert goes beyond words.

If anyone else is planning to go, we should try to get together. Maybe we can all try getting tix together or something. Would appreciate any information about when tix will be available, etc.

Thanks!
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For Blue and everyone else who may be interested in this, here is where I found out a lot of information regarding the concert.

Thus far there does not appear to be any pricing information available, but like one person mentioned you should be able to have ticketmaster send updates on events from Radio Music Hall. Then whenever the information is available you should be getting information about it. I will try to add additional information if I hear anything but this is all I have for the moment.
Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nate! I will register on the website, then wait for good news. I'm so afraid this concert is going to sell out in minutes and leave me high and dry.
Cyrano
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 15086

Cyrano is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyrano's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
Well I thought this was a really slick youtube video and thought I would share it with all the Ennio Morricone enthusiasts!

Wow! Thank you, nate! Really wonderful!
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I nearly put an end to chat.. when I picked
Main Titles, Vol. 3 - Ennio Morricone
The Smile Of The Great Temptress: Come Holy Spirit (0:42) to play.
It was something like no other! Certainly no other Morricone!
I think he must have been way out to lunch on that one!
OH gosh.. sorry. Won't do that again!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinder wrote:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I nearly put an end to chat.. when I picked
Main Titles, Vol. 3 - Ennio Morricone
The Smile Of The Great Temptress: Come Holy Spirit (0:42) to play.
It was something like no other! Certainly no other Morricone!
I think he must have been way out to lunch on that one!
OH gosh.. sorry. Won't do that again!

I know what you mean. Sorry you were expecting something else. That is a weird piece indeed. I believe the movie (The Smile of the Great Temptress/ The Devil is a Woman) is about some shady business in a convent (one of those sex thrillers he scored aplenty during those days) and in this he uses Latin chants contrasted with pop/rock rhythms. No one scores tension like he does!

I find that one can't ignore his scores for the giallos and thrillers of that period -- there's always a gorgeous cue he drops in, in the weirdest of places (much to the frustration of fans of his melodic side). This cd is a perfect example! One would expect that with titles like the one in #16 and #20 they'd be a harsh listen. But boy, how wrong one would be!

Track 20 (Profondamente Nel Mostro [Deeply in the Monster]) is pretty much the reason for my sending this cd. Give it a listen sometime Wink

On the other hand...
I think tracks 14 and 17 are the only ones that make for a tough listen in this cd.
Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved this cue, BP. What is amazing about it is that it's just a sloooow version of malinconica Serenita, Part 2 (Melancholy Serenade or Serene Melancholy, depending on which CD you're looking at). If you've never noticed, play the 2 cues one right after the other, starting with MS, Pt 2 and you will hear it. Amazing! Il Maestro has done this on other occasions, as well. For example, in Il Bandito Dagli Occhi Azzurri (Bandit with the Blue Eyes), he has composed a cool jazz piece in 5/4 time, then following that on the CD is the same cue, but written in chamber orchestra style. Love it. Thanks for donating the Main Titles CD, BP!!
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
in Il Bandito Dagli Occhi Azzurri (Bandit with the Blue Eyes), he has composed a cool jazz piece in 5/4 time, then following that on the CD is the same cue, but written in chamber orchestra style.

Fascinating, Blue. Wish we could hear these but we don't have this score in the library. Sad
Good stuff from you as well, BP.
Thanks!
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been another thread started for those who may be interested in attending the Ennio Morricone concert and a possible SST gathering. Take a look!
Lieutenant Commander

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this early review of Giuseppe Tornatore's newest film- La Sconosciuta, it looks like he's done it again Very Happy
Quote:

But as a thriller it presses most of the right buttons, and it’s a technically lavish product, with a lush orchestral soundtrack that must stand as one of the late-period highlights of Ennio Morricone’s long career.

Quote:

But the most impressive technical credit is Morricone’s score, a fine example of moody thriller music in the best classical tradition.
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

John Bender- a very knowledgeable fan of italian film music posted this over at FSM and MovieMusicItaliano about the song Se Telefonando composed by Morricone and sung by Mina Mazzini.

Quote:

All of you, if you truly love great music, and Morricone, must go to YouTube and experience this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSuG1LOaYI
It has been said before that SE TELEFONANDO might be the greatest adult-popular ballad of all-time, and I think this historic video footage reinforces this bold observation. It must be said that the song is glorious not only on the merits of Morricone's genius, but also because of Mina's absolute standing as the world's Ultimate Popular Diva. Watch the video and you will see what I mean. Unlike Streisand or any other so-called "divas", Mina performs without ego. As she sings in front of the camera and audience her heart, mind, and soul become fully absorbed with the music and the lyrics - she becomes a vessel, a pure and personally uncorrupted "delivery system" for the substance and colors of the musical arts.

I've watched her sing SE TELEFONANDO dozens of times, and it is clear that every skilled and flawless vocal intonation, every sultry and elegant gesture she makes is motivated and controlled by Morricone's breathtaking composition.

The lyrics are concerned with a woman who has, painfully, realized that she must break the heart of her lover, for her love has mysteriously waned. The title translates to "If You Should Call", referring to her thoughts as regards what she might say when this poor man phones her - for the last time. The video shows Mina frequently being filmed from below, and this was done to emphasize the fallen position of her lover; Mina must speak "down to him" from a place of coldness.

I hope you are like me and that you will be thrilled to the core by this stunning film footage. I get shivers every time I watch it! There is nothing like this in the arts today. Nothing. - JB

I've been hooked on the song in the last couple of weeks to the extent that I have to hear it every day. It's powerful in the sense that the notes go higher and higher with a thrilling finish.

Another couple of cool links are from a biography that shows quite a bit of the young Morricone-
Part 1 (8 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfQX_nQ0x8
Part 2 (7 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxN-pmpZfk

At about 2:20 into Part 2 is the Se Telefonando song and it's structure is beautifully explained by musicologist Sergio Miceli.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood Video has a very cool free booklet in their stores right now - a 20-page Oscar 2007 Viewer's Guide from Entertainment Weekly.

The booklet has extensive write-ups on all the major categories: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, S.Actor, S.Actress, plus a ballot and...
... a wonderful article on Honorary Oscar Recipient ENNIO MORRICONE. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: