StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ennio Morricone Links & CDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two internet reports on the Morricone Tribute on Oscar night:

Celine Nabs Another Date with Oscar
Feb 2, 2007
By Marc Malkin

Oscar's heart still goes on for Celine Dion.

Sources tell me that Dion has been booked to perform at this year's Academy Awards. The Canadian crooner will sing during a tribute to legendary composer Ennio Morricone, who will be receiving an honorary Oscar at the Feb. 25 ceremony.

I'm told lyrics have been written for Morricone's score for Once Upon a Time in America just for Dion. "The lyrics have never been heard before," one source says.

Another source says that the song will probably be included on Dion's upcoming English-language album to be released sometime in the fall. A French album is expected to hit stores this April.

Dion is reportedly going to be included on a Morricone tribute album later this year, along with Yo-Yo Ma, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

Celine Dion to Unveil New Song at Oscars
Feb 8, 2007

Celine Dion will unveil her new song, “I Knew I Loved You,” during a tribute to Italian composer Ennio Morricone at this year’s Academy Awards, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Wednesday.

Morricone, who will receive an honorary Oscar at the Feb. 25 awards, orchestrated the song for 1984’s “Once Upon a Time in America,” directed by Sergio Leone.

Songwriters Alan and Marilyn Bergman wanted to write lyrics for the song, but the film’s producers felt none were needed. The Bergmans got their chance with Dion’s version.

Morricone, 78, has received original score Oscar nominations for “Days of Heaven,” “The Mission,” “The Untouchables,” “Bugsy” and “Malena.”

The new rendition of “I Knew I Loved You,” produced by Quincy Jones, will appear on Morricone’s upcoming greatest-hits album and on Dion’s forthcoming record.
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:12 am   Post subject: Oh look!!! Reply with quote

Congrats Two!!!

Yes you are Admin, but before that, so many wonderful helping posts. And I am one of those who knows about your helpful posts!!!
Many thanks.

Also Many thanks on the note about Celine singing her heart out with Ennio...that lady can sing her heart out too!!

Thank you and congratulations again my southern neighbor.

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Cindee - thanks for the thoughtful words! That's a real eye-catching bouquet. Very Happy

And now back to Ennio.... I can't wait to see the tribute to him on Sunday. *sets TiVo*
Commodore
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:26 pm   Post subject: A review Reply with quote

The good, the bad and the deserving: Ennio Morricone
By Scott Eyman

Palm beach Post Arts Writer

Friday, February 23, 2007

How do these things happen? How is it possible that a great composer like Ennio Morricone has to wait for old age until he gets an honorary Oscar awarded to compensate for past stupidities?

Happily, in this case it's not a deathbed Oscar — Morricone conducted a concert at Radio City Music Hall just a few weeks ago — but the man is nearly 80, with five nominations (Days of Heaven, The Mission, The Untouchables, Bugsy and Malèna) that should have brought him at least two of the golden doorstops, for Days of Heaven and The Mission.

enlarge

Ennio Morricone
Post arts critics
Hap Erstein: Theater
• Recent articles, reviews
• Chat with Hap on his blog

Gary Schwan: Art

Sharon McDaniel:
Classical music

Scott Eyman: Books

Greg Stepanich:
Classical music, books
• Chat with Greg on his blog

Morricone himself doesn't seem to have minded; he has been quoted as saying that to be in the same company as other superior artists (Kubrick, Garbo, etc.) who never got a competitive Oscar can be gauged as a badge of honor.

"After five nominations I expected nothing," Morricone said recently. "In fact, I hoped I'd remain without an Oscar. I would have remained in the company of illustrious non-winners. I see the Oscar as a little bit of a fluke — even if those who win deserve it. That doesn't mean that I'm not happy about it. I have received so many beautiful, incredible prizes, but there was a little hole. Maybe the Oscar fills the hole."

Nobody had heard film music like Morricone's before, because nobody had written film music like Morricone's before. Of course, nobody had made westerns like Sergio Leone's either — morally bleak, mordantly funny, but infused with the same love of landscape that animated earlier masters like Ford and Hawks.

The whip cracks and wild choral voices Morricone used in the Leone westerns — the anvil and bells in A Fistful of Dollars, accompanied by a chorus and the gorgeous whistle of Morricone's childhood friend Allessandro Allessandroni — are always backed up by the sine qua non of all great film music: a memorable melody, and his influence is ascertainable in a lot of music that can't be neatly categorized. Listen to Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, with its wild, primal wails backed by apparently incongruous symphonic splendor, and you're hearing something that could have been written by Morricone on a bender.

Morricone was born in Rome in 1928 and was educated at the conservatory of the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in the trumpet. His expertise on the trumpet meant he picked up a lot of gigs in jazz clubs, which helped pay his way through school. His original ambition was to compose classical music, but his ambitions shifted when he wrote some arrangements for Italian pop music that resulted in hit records.

He began composing for films in 1961, and never really has looked back. "I couldn't make a living with the other kinds of music," Morricone once said. "So I started making my living with films. But then I found that I loved doing movies, I really do love it very much! In fact, the music that I have written for the movies has actually given a lot to my concert music. And it goes both ways. The finding of solutions, unusual, personal solutions in films, shows up in other music."

In addition to his versatility, Morricone in his prime was an unparalleled workhorse. In 1968 alone, he scored 20 films, and he has written the music for around 400 movies, utilizing several pseudonyms along the way so as to avoid giving the impression of flooding the market. Despite his ubiquity, he's far better known in Europe than in America, probably because he always refused to relocate to Los Angeles, preferring to work and record in Rome.

Morricone is a key transitional figure in that he's perfectly capable of embracing whatever musical style that's needed. If there's a request for the 19th century romantic tradition, he can do that. If you want something that starts out quirky and quickly ramps up to insane or avant-garde — he can do that too. He spent a lot of time going off the commercial reservation to work for directors like Pasolini and Pontecorvo, and was never afraid of the bold artistic gesture. One Morricone score seems to involve little more than a swarm of angry bees.

Most film composers can do something approaching this, but only superficially. Musicians are like writers in that they have a signature style, developed over decades, that they apply to a given topic. They give away their identity by their affinity for certain orchestrations, as well as specific harmonic characteristics.

But Morricone is an authentic chameleon. This inclusive stance is why Morricone's film music has been covered by a wide group of admirers. John Zorn recorded an album of Morricone's music, and more recently the composer collaborated with the cellist Yo-Yo Ma in an album that emphasized the composer's romantic music.

Most of Morricone's most innovative work was done in Italy. To take just one obvious example — the title music from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly encompasses twangy guitar a la Duane Eddy interspersed with wild choral howls. (Morricone has explained that he went through a period when he was interested in replicating the screams of animals; in his mind, the cries are a coyote.) In addition to all this, there are blatting trumpets, and a oddball, chugging percussive rhythm. It's a melange of elements that shouldn't work, but does because Morricone can synthesize nearly anything, and propels the mixture with a blast of pure conviction.

More recently, Morricone has concentrated on developing his lyric gift, which came to the fore after his score for The Mission made the soundtrack a must-have, in spite of the fact the film itself was only marginal. In the past 20 years, he has evolved into a far more romantic composer than he seemed to be in the '60s. Scores like Cinema Paradiso and Malena rely on the composer's gift for elegiac nostalgia. It's an element that first cropped up in his score for another movie about reveries of the past, Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America. In scores like these, Morricone proves himself an heir to Puccini.

There's no other composer to compare with Ennio Morricone; his worst music is casual and cartoony, almost parodic, but at his frequent best he conjures the majesty of memory itself.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:35 pm   Post subject: More reviews.. Reply with quote

They are long and if you wish to read them all, then here is what I found.

Italian composer Morricone scores honorary Oscar
Fri Feb 23, 8:22 AM ET
Italian composer Ennio Morricone in Milan, December 16, 2006. This year, Morricone's work is being recognized, appreciated and celebrated in a number of significant ways. First and foremost, he is set to receive an honorary Academy Award at Sunday's ceremony. REUTERS/Alessandro Garofalo

By Chuck Crisafulli

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - There aren't many composers whose music is immediately identifiable after just a couple of whistled notes.

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Entertainment-News/Article/Default.aspx?idx=504544
-----
Italian composer Morricone scores honorary Oscar

By Chuck Crisafulli
Reuters
Friday, February 23, 2007; 8:22 AM

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - There aren't many composers whose music is immediately identifiable after just a couple of whistled notes.

Such is the influence of Ennio Morricone that all it takes is a bit of whistling to evoke the Italian composer's masterful, genre-defying work on the spaghetti westerns he scored for Sergio Leone -- films such as 1967's "A Fistful of Dollars," "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022300417.html
----
Composer Ennio Morricone finds it's all a matter of interpretation
Friday, February 23, 2007
Gary Graff
Special to The Plain Dealer

With an honorary Academy Award being conferred on him Sunday, legendary Italian composer Ennio Morricone is certainly feeling the love these days.

And that affection is coming from many directions, as evidenced by the lineup on the new "We All Love Ennio Morricone" (Sony Classical) tribute album, which includes renditions of his songs by Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Celine Dion, Pink Floyd's Roger Waters, Yo-Yo Ma and others.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/friday/1172136906156970.xml&coll=2
----
Morricone joins film commission
Composer will help promote Italian region of Lazio
By NICK VIVARELLI

Ennio Morricone
Morricone
ROME — Honorary Oscar-winner Ennio Morricone has been appointed board member of the Rome/Lazio Film Commission as part of a push to lure more international productions to the Eternal City and the surrounding region.

The prolific composer with worldwide fans will have an active role in the recently established entity, which has begun offering fiscal incentives and co-production coin to foreign producers, and even permitted shooting inside the Colosseum to Fox's Doug Liman-helmed sci-fi thriller "Jumper" last year.

Upcoming Hollywood pics expected to be shooting either in Rome or the surrounding area include "The Da Vince Code" followup "Angels & Demons" and Roman Polanski's epic "Pompeii."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117959883.html?categoryid=19&cs=1
----
Finally about Celine singing on Sunday-

They all love Morricone
Composer honoured with Oscar, tribute album
By MARTIN STEINBERG The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

NEW YORK — What are Bruce Springsteen, Celine Dion, Metallica, Yo-Yo Ma, Roger Waters, Renee Fleming and Andrea Bocelli all doing on the same album?

Paying tribute to composer Ennio Morricone, the prolific film composer who at age 78 is also getting a long-awaited Academy Award.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Entertainment/559689.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A couple days ago, I had the privilege of spending the day at the Oscar rehearsals. Friday was the day for the musical production numbers, so –alas- no Ellen. (Sorry about that, BQ Wink) The good news is I got to see Ennio!

(I’ve written up the day’s events but won’t post it until after the show has aired tonight.)

But I do want to say that if you are an Ennio Morricone fan, you will not be disappointed in the tribute to this great man when the Academy presents him with the Honorary Oscar. We watched Celine Dion go thru her beautiful song, which is the theme from “Once Upon A Time In America” with lyrics written especially for this tribute by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. (The Bergmans have many Oscars themselves.) They are getting up there in age, so I felt especially moved to be able to see them in person. As they left the theater, they walked within a few feet of me, so I made a silent clapping gesture to them. Alan nodded with a big grin and said, “Thank you so much.”

After Celine had run thru her song 5-6 times, there was a lot of hustle and bustle on stage. Then I noticed that in the center of the crowd was none other than Morricone himself. My family member (who works for the Oscars and had gotten us into the rehearsal) turned around and faced me, with a huge grin on her face, and winked. She had kept it secret that he would be there in person, and knew what a big fan I was. Prior to Morricone’s arrival, a stand-in had been delivering his acceptance speech. But now we got to hear Il Maestro himself practice it. He had it written on paper rather than using the teleprompter – all in Italian of course – and with an interpreter.

It’s wonderful to see Morricone finally get his “due” from Hollywood and the Academy – but it’s also nice to see him graciously accept this honor and come to America to receive it.

More to come… Enjoy the show!
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 2! That is most wonderful to get to see Ennio up close. And thanks for the heads up on the Morricone tribute.

It's both amusing and satisfying to hear that Il Maestro was rehearsing his speech. Amusing since he's such a legend that he really doesn't need to do this. And satisfying since it shows that he deems it worthy enough to want to get it right. Somewhere deep down one gets the feeling that he's forgiven Hollywood for all they've dished at him.

This is the only part of the Oscars I'm interested in. The rest of it as a friend used to say, is just "a fashion show". Now if the Santa man didn't strike again then there would be some hope left Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BP, it's nice to see you are at least tuning in for this.

btw - without giving too much away, let me say that Morricone will be in the Kodak Theater auditorium watching the show just like everyone else except seated in a special place of honor. So be sure to check that out. Smile
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I will be watching the whole thing alright!
Czech Republic pingu
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7856

pingu is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail pingu's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the info, Two Smile

Ennio Morricone - Oscar '07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4dp8Mao9Gw
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:26 am   Post subject: Ennio news Reply with quote

I am not getting news on what Ennio is up to from time to time. So I shall share if it matters.

Now this one.. we need a fast field trip. Or at least someone from the area or country of Italy should go and represent SST!!! I will volunteer.
from: http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=50409
The Malta Independent Online

MSC ‘Orchestra’ ceremony with Sophia Loren, Ennio Morricone
MSC Cruises will have two Oscar winners at their christening ceremony of their new liner, the MSC Orchestra, on 14 May in Civitavecchia: Sophia Loren and Maestro Ennio Morricone.

Sophia Loren, who can hardly be equalled as an Italian icon, has been since 2003 the official godmother at the MSC Cruises christening ceremonies. This year she will once again cut the ribbon for MSC Orchestra. Additionally and for the first time, she will be joined by Maestro Ennio Morricone, a key figure in the world of music and film.

With the presence of the two famous artists, MSC Cruises will be reaffirming its commitment to all things Italian, which is expressed in every detail on board the new addition to the fleet – from the careful design overseen by Studio De Jorio, to the facilities and services, making passengers feel that they are the centre of attention.

Music and emotions are the central themes of the christening of the new ship. After the concert conducted by Maestro Morricone, Ms Loren will cut the ribbon to signal the christening of the Orchestra, launching the champagne bottle to break against the side of the ship. A spectacular fireworks display will light the sky in Civitavecchia, with accompanying music.

After the christening, MSC Orchestra will depart from Genoa on an inaugural cruise, calling at France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco. On her return, she will reposition herself in the Adriatic to cruise weekly, each Saturday from Venice to Bari on seven-night cruises calling at Greece, Turkey and Croatia.

Hamilton Travel of 4, St Publius Street, Floriana are the exclusive Malta general sales agents for MSC Cruises.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ennio Morricone musico! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Finally a clip of the opening song-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237CM6RZTdE

For the 1966 movie Uccellacci e Uccellini (Hawks and Sparrows) Morricone had a clever idea-- he simply set the opening credits as a song! It's a fun and entertaining piece from the goofier side of Morricone. Do check it out.

If you ever had doubts about how to pronounce Il Maestro's name this song should clear it.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG - that's such a hoot! What a great sense of humor.

Thanks a bunch for finding this, BP! Very Happy
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:08 pm   Post subject: Oh Lets go again!!!! Reply with quote

The Venice Casino has decided to pay homage to the wonderful music of Oscar winner Ennio Morricone with a concert to be held in the heart of the city. Next September 10 2007, Maestro Ennio Morricone will conduct the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra and the Choir of La Fenice Opera House in the elegant atmosphere of Piazza San Marco. The Maestro will conduct his famous scores composed for directors such as Bertolucci, Leone, Tornatore, De Palma and Pasolini.Tickets are available since April 2007:
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great news Cinder! Thank you for sharing! Smile

Ennio Morricone will conduct several concerts in Europe:

June 16: Monza
June 25: Athens
June 27: Cipro
June 30: Napoli
July 5: Firenze
July 20: Palermo
September 10: Venice
September 14: Bari
October 20: Catanzaro
December 12: Vienna

I may copy that information in the SST Europe Meeting thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: