StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

No more tracks of one album in a row.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeBob wrote:
Here is a question. Do the RIAA rules apply to only RIAA members or only American artists? What about Internationl, Japan, Europe etcc..?

It applies to webcasts that originate from the US.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

california_carl wrote:
from the RIAA website:

"2. Sound recording performance complement. A webcaster may not play in any three-hour period...

• more than three songs from a particular album, including no more than two consecutively, or
• four songs by a particular artist or from a boxed set, including no more than three consecutively."

The first one seems fairly easy to comply with. However, the second one seems like it will be very difficult to comply with, especially for the more popular composers.

I am curious what the penalties are for non-complianace. Does anyone know? I am also curious about how this enforced. Are there streaming audio spys out there waiting to tell on us?

They can shut you down easily. I'm sure it would start with a cease order then could follow up with criminal charges.

Sure, what's to stop SST's competition from "tatle-taling"?

I am enforcing the album and artist rules right now in SAM. It will be very inconvenient until we can disable the artists and albums in the playlist like we do with the request buttons.

Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, now I understand. Sneaky lawyers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am enforcing the following policy in SAM. Please provide your feedback.

Do not play same album within 60 minutes.
Do not play same artist within 45 minutes.

USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do my part to respect and obey these new rules, but I must say that I am NOT happy about this in the least. So much for Hisashi's birthday.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA maddy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As difficult to follow at first as these rules may seem, mainly for the composer, I think something good can come out of them. It will force requests to be more varied and not the same pieces or the same composers over and over again. And with the number of soundtracks we have to choose from, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I will miss the days when we would celebrate a composer's birthday or the release of a new soundtrack, but overall I think this isn't a bad idea at all! Very Happy
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean no more hearing those three tracks from Plunkett and Macleane (Hanging, Escape, and the other one) in the order they were meant to be heard? Bummer!
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Right now I am enforcing the following policy in SAM. Please provide your feedback.

It's the artist that's going to be hard. But I will certainly do my best and if I accidentally break compliance, my requests can be removed. Smile

Now my question is: what about tracks on albums that aren't really by the main artist? I really don't know how these show up?

I mean, if there's a Goldenthal within 45 minutes of when I want to request, can I queue up, for instance, Vivere from Titus, since it isn't actually a Goldenthal composition or will it show up as a Goldenthal since he wrote the bulk of that album?
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:

Looks OK for me.

Rogue wrote:
Now my question is: what about tracks on albums that aren't really by the main artist? I really don't know how these show up?

If I understand it right (Wink) it has to obey at the same time:
1) "a boxed set rule" or "album rule" for album
and
2) "same artist rule" for "additional artist" (but not main composer who is not an author of specific cue)

Quote:
I mean, if there's a Goldenthal within 45 minutes of when I want to request, can I queue up, for instance, Vivere from Titus, since it isn't actually a Goldenthal composition or will it show up as a Goldenthal since he wrote the bulk of that album?

Regarding RIAA rules, I think it should let you request Vivere if Goldenthal cue requested less than 45 minutes earlier was not from Titus album. (I assume Vivere cue is not composed by Goldenthal).

But we should also take into consideration what is possible to inforce in SAM. I see there is no distinction about Vivere being not Goldenthal cue at SST playlist and I think it would be huge amount of work to indicate all additional composers at playlist albums. I don't think it is vital to make all these adjustments.

I think we should accept all unnecessary restrictions (sometimes even a bit more strict than RIAA minimal requirements - if needed) to keep music flow. I think Maddy is right, the SST playlist is big enough (and JERIC makes it bigger and bigger every month) Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And I suspect queue will be a little shorter with all these new rules Wink

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:

I guess these are the new rules we will have to get used. However, why are is there an additional SAM block on having the same artist in the queue that is well beyond the 60 or 45 minutes requirements? Is this just a patch solution since the queue will always be longer than 45 minutes until 60 and 45 requirements can be implemented? Or is the One Artist in the Queue at a time here to stay indefinitely?
Tjoe
Commander
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric - it seems that SAM isn't starting that timer until the track clears the queue. Is this something that can be adjusted?
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

maddy wrote:
... I think something good can come out of them. It will force requests to be more varied and not the same pieces or the same composers over and over again.

Hear! Hear! I try to remind ppl we have over 37K tracks to choose from. I've even tried bribes via comments in the queue ("You can have my request if you choose a new CD"). NOTHING worked Sad Hopefully now we will discover some lesser-known composers and/or scores. We may not like everything, but at least we'll be aware of them after that.

Some SSTers make a conscious effort to request albums or cues that have never been played before. (Peaches comes to mind - she's great at that.) Of course when you do that, it can turn up some real surprises - and even be downright embarrassing Laughing

Clicking on Suggest A Random Track may become very handy.

So it's off to the library to sweep out some cobwebs... Wink
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fine to have a no trains rule and some limits on composer and album repeats. Makes for a smoother listening experience and encourages some people to pick stuff out of their usual range.
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A technical question - How does this rule apply to tracks the have more than one artist attributed to them? For example, the Batman Begins has JNH and Zimmer listed. So will JNH and Zimmer both be off limits individually until the time is up or will just the combination of JNH and Zimmer be off limits until the time is up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: