StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

No more tracks of one album in a row.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were able to get permission (From the composer, agent, or record company) to do a special "composer day" before hand, would it be legal for us to play all Williams, Hisaishi, Zimmer, etc..?

If it was legal and we know the days we would do it before hand, then it might be something we could do on an annual basis. Like we do now.

Just something to think about Jeric.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't realize there were such strict laws out there.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Treebob, great ideas.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can certainly see where trying to enforce the different composers/same album thing could be a headache. But I know sometimes in the database there is a differentiation: O Brother, for instance, I think differentiates between each artist.

And carl's question is a good one too . . .

But whatever it is, I'll get used to it. Smile So far it has not cramped my style very much really.

And, since it keeps requests down, it keeps the queue down, which is nice. Smile
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any university offer a RIAA Ph.D. program?... This is getting very complicated (especially for composers I don't know well).

Actually, I was about to request something directly without knowing the existence of this thread. Maybe a "warning sign" or something should be put on the "Playlist/Request" page so people who just request without looking at the forum would be aware of it as well.

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry and thanks schroddie. We're working on that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I set SAM to this now since we already have the minimum 1 hour queue and SAM won't let you request anything that is already in queue. Let's see how this works.

Do not play same album within 1 minute.
Do not play same artist within 1 minute.

Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1 minute!? Yay for RIAA who has changed their rules so we can once more have trains of same album and composer Very Happy

What?... What's that you say? A typo? It should be "within 1 hour"? Ah, well... I guess we can live with all the new and unheard music we can get from this Wink
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not a typo. JERIC implemented in SAM that it will check the queue for the same artist and album. So this means that only one Zimmer and one Williams can be in the queue. No matter how long the queue is. Same with albums.

Personally I like this
- shorter queues
- more variable queues
- easier to implement the checks to disable the request buttons in the request window.
FSkornia
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 8683

FSkornia is offline View user's profile Send private message FSkornia's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, reading the RIAA FAQ a bit further brings up this point:
Quote:
3. Prior announcements not permitted. Advance song or artist playlists generally may not be published. However, a webcaster may name one or two artists to illustrate the type of music on a particular channel. DJ "teaser" announcements using artists' names are permitted, but only those that do not specify the time a song will be played.

How will that affect the way things are done here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything we may have to remove the song name from the queue. We already do not display the artist.

USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the same rules apply to the great composer Various Artists. That guy is awfully prolific. Cool

But for the most part, the settings seem to be working well.

(Ooh, I've graduated from Starfleet Academy. *celebrates with a pitcher of Klingon blood wine, vomits, then celebrates again.)

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeBob wrote:
If we were able to get permission (From the composer, agent, or record company) to do a special "composer day" before hand, would it be legal for us to play all Williams, Hisaishi, Zimmer, etc..?

If it was legal and we know the days we would do it before hand, then it might be something we could do on an annual basis. Like we do now.

Just something to think about Jeric.

I wrote a nice letter to the email address listed on his official website requesting permission for this special occasion. I doubt it will get approved or even acknowledged but it doesn't hurt to ask. Of course I will let you know if I hear something back.

USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Ok I set SAM to this now since we already have the minimum 1 hour queue and SAM won't let you request anything that is already in queue. Let's see how this works.

Do not play same album within 1 minute.
Do not play same artist within 1 minute.

Just out of curiosity, is this the final solution to meeting the RIAA guidelines or will there be some additional SAM modifications to play same artists or albums within the queue but spaced out at least 45 or 60 minutes? Even on slower week days it is still 2 hours between requesting the same artist or album. I am getting used to it but I am hopeful that a better solution is on the way. Do I have a reason to have hope? Smile
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wrote a nice letter to the email address listed on his official website requesting permission for this special occasion. I doubt it will get approved or even acknowledged but it doesn't hurt to ask. Of course I will let you know if I hear something back.

Wow that's great! Thanks for trying. I wrote Russell Aiello - VP of Sales & Marketing
russell.aiello@milanrecords.com ....
and he was open to discussion (he actually wrote me back). Not sure how much record companies can do permission wise. Especially if they only hold the rights to some of the Composers works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: