StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Losing logon

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: Losing logon Reply with quote

I've seen this problem for a while, and seem to be narrowing down when/how it happens enough that I want to start a thread on it. Perhaps others are experiencing similar things and can offer some insight. I'm also open to suggestions for a better subject.

I usually get this when I log in on a machine that's not my usual, typically a Windows machine, using Portable Firefox (Although it's happened on normal Firefox installations too. I don't use IE anywhere where I have to provide any specific information, like a UN/PW.). I go to the SST page and log in with username/password/security code. It then kicks me to my profile(?) page. Then I follow the link to Forums. When I hit the Forum page I'm now logged out. Using the login info that appears on the bottom of the forum page fails (no security code...maybe that's related?). Then I return to the main SST page and follow the same routine, but on the second time the login "sticks" and I'm able to use the site normally.

Any thoughts?

jeff
sdg
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Portable Firefox, but I am familiar with cookies and know they can be buggy for some really weird reasons. The log-in form in the forum has a bad target, giving you a 404. Maybe it can be fixed, but it would still need the security code I think. I'm not very familiar with the Nuke/phpBB authentication system and how it works in combo, and I dont like to tamper with it. However, there are some things that would be nice to know; Does the login always work on the second try? Does it kick you out after a short while or do you stay logged in? If you want to play around with IE you can make another account for testing. Wink
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to say that it "always" works on the 2nd try, but I can't recall it not working in the dozen or so times I've seen this problem. Also, just to clarify, I don't think it's a PortableFirefox problem as I've seen the issue on a standard Firefox install too. I included the Portable Firefox reference for completeness (and because it is such a cool product).

jeff
sdg
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that problem with SST and DFM repeatedly for a long time. It happens everytime I log out and log back in. I am using FF. I wonder if it has something to do with the tabbrowser extensions. Mine always works if I re-log in from a second tab.

For some reason, on DFM, every link I click on from the home page opens in a new tab, but from the new tabs they open in the same tab. I would have thought it was my set up, but it doesn't do this on SST.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the Tabbrowser extension, so if you're seeing the same issue I doubt it's related to that.

Also, I can not recall ever seeing this on my Linux box, for what that's worth. I usually log in and stay logged in, across reboots, etc.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more information to add to the puzzle:

I tied waiting for the profile page to completely load before I moved on to the forum page. It worked, and I was still logged in. However, I've noticed that there wasn't a security code on the main login page after the new server update. Is that the new state of SST? If so, that might have contributed to it working. I'll try more experiments tonight if I have time.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This time I got the security code (so that must not be gone), but I waited until the profile page was finished loading, and I remained logged in after navigating to the forums.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: