StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

A personal queue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: A personal queue? Reply with quote

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before (I imagine it has) and it would be a nightmare to code and implement, but has there ever been a talk of a personal queue. For example, I would place a number of tracks, let's say 50, in my personal queue, and then I would have an option of turning off or on my personal queue. When my request became available, then it would go down to the first song it could play while meeting artist or album not in the queue criteria. So instead of having to fumble around looking for an available track, it would just add it to the main queue automatically when my request becomes available. You could have a timeout function to make sure the person is actually active on the site and not just leaving it on all the time. I am thinking along the lines of how the online dvd queues work but on an SST level. It is just an idea that popped into my head. What does everyone think? Smile
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds similar to Netflix. Might be a good idea and it would save sometime looking for just the right song. It would also help those with a favorites list - just add it to your personal queue. Would this also have the option, like Netflix, to change the order of songs you've put in the queue? It's a nice idea Cali_Carl Very Happy

(my apologies if I seem to reiterate myself a lot - just finished my psych exam and I'm a bit brainfried)
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So if two or more people had the same track in their queues, would it be listed as some kind of "shared" request? Like...

Requested by: california_carl, Asriana, JERIC...

Oh, I'm a big fan of team effort. Mr. Green

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Asriana wrote:
Sounds similar to Netflix. Might be a good idea and it would save sometime looking for just the right song. It would also help those with a favorites list - just add it to your personal queue. Would this also have the option, like Netflix, to change the order of songs you've put in the queue?

Like Netflix or Blockbuster was exactly what I was thinking Asriana, with being able to reorganize or delete tracks off your own personal queue. The only difference would be the option of shutting it off if you didn't want to use it. Another issue would be if you want a track that does get played to leave your queue or if the queue would remain frozen? Because it would just keep going down until found one it could play you could just keep it frozen since once it played you couldn't play it for another 8 days anyways.
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

the_lake_effect wrote:
So if two or more people had the same track in their queues, would it be listed as some kind of "shared" request? Like...

Requested by: california_carl, Asriana, JERIC...

Oh, I'm a big fan of team effort. Mr. Green

In theory it might be nice, except it would be added to the queue when your personal request became available, so I don't think there would group requesters. However, now that I think of it, you could possibly have group personal queues where several people are associated with a queue so if one of say three people are on it and a request becomes available, it would play the next possible song on the queue. A team personal queue in a way. Smile
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, certain tracks will be more popular than others, so it might defeat the purpose of trying to encourage the tracks of lesser known composers to be heard...

And with team queues, you run the risk of forming cliques.

Oh man, it's high school all over again...

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I think could be increasing queue times due to the fact that a song would be automatically selected. If everyone who was on during the day had a personal queue that automatically selected even if they were away it would increase the number of requests therby defeating the purpose of trying to keep queue times down. At least this is if I completely understand what you are trying to accomplish with personal queues. I think in theory it sounds like a good idea just tough to institute with all the issues that could potentially arise. IMO
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What natedogg says. This will hugely increase the queue times.

So you can probably see this as a no-can-do.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can suggest is that if we are able to turn the queue off - to do so when you log out for the night, or out for lunch, etc. But that would be on our shoulders to do that. Unless there was a way if you close your web browser it kicks off your queue. I really like the idea, but I bow to the wishes of the admins on this one.

As for the queue-groupie thing, how would that work...would we no longer have personal remarks to go with our requests? It's not necessarily bad, but I like being able to say that a song is for someone, especially birthdays, or on special holidays.

It's a nice idea Carl, we just need to tweek it! Wink
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought, articulated already by nate and cal, is that it will inflate the queue. I don't see a way around it. Automated requesting just won't work. We have a hard enough time keeping the queue manageable with the manual method (although the new rules make it much better...a blessing in disguise perhaps). Sounds like a non-starter to me.

jeff
sdg
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

automatic is in general a bad idea. It can be abused. Just fill up a large queue right before you leave the office.
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree about inflating the queue time being an issue. So what if is was a personal queue that required you to click a button that said "Play next song that is available on my queue" This would eliminate the loading of the queue by people who are not present. It would just eliminate the hassle of fumbling around trying to find a song that can be played. It would be more like a prioritized favorites list. There are a lot of tracks that I like that sometimes I have trouble remembering but could add them to the list and put them in order of what I want to listen to most. Then when my request became availabe, I could click the button (therefore eliminating automatic queue filling) and it would play the first track on my list that has not been played the last eight days and is not an artist or album that is in the queue or an artist or album that has been played in the last minute. The clcking of the button is not any different then what we do now when we click the request button. The only difference would be how the track is filtered and selected. This is a workable idea, it just requires a little tweaking as Asriana said earlier.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a much better idea, carl. Now we're back to "it would be a nightmare to code and implement" which I'd guess means that it will be on the low priority list.

jeff
sdg
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
It can be abused. Just fill up a large queue right before you leave the office.

... and not stay around to listen to their requests.

j2brown wrote:
... I'd guess means that it will be on the low priority list.
In the meantime, I'll just continue to jot down notes and keep adding to my desktop DB. *buried under pile of Post-its.*
Nice ideas, Carl. Smile
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
... which I'd guess means that it will be on the low priority list.

I just want to be clear so there is no confusion: I do not speak on behalf of JERIC and the powers that be about anything that has to do with the operation of SST. My name is white in the chat like everybody else (although I'd love for JERIC to let me make it a nice fire engine red, just because I'm a nice guy or something.)

I know you know that Twopop, but I just want to be absolutely clear in case anybody is confused.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: