StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Rejected King Kong Score...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
bentoons
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7295

bentoons is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bentoons's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:19 pm   Post subject: Rejected King Kong Score... Reply with quote

Hey guys! I would like to know if any of you have any information on whether or not King Kong's rejected score composed by Howard Shore will be available for sale ? I know sometimes rejected scores can be bought, Jeric has several Rejected scores here. Let me know please! So curious why an Academy Award composer like Howard Shore will be fired or his score rejected.

alright you're comments are awaited
Portugal AdamAstor
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 10663

AdamAstor is offline View user's profile Send private message AdamAstor's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm... I wasn't even aware that Howard Shore had tried for King Kong. Well, given the background between Jackson and Shore, I assume the director was simply looking for a dfferent angle, a more James-Newton-Howard-ish point of view.
What other reason could there be? The partnership worked out so amazingly well in Lord of the Rings...

Anyway, I don't know if it's going to available for sale, but I sure would like to get it!
Ensign

Member#: 7295

bentoons is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bentoons's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam,

Well the thing is Shore was fired around Fall, which means his score should have been completed. Peter Jackson wasn't hapy with what Shore creaed, or style, not even sure that is why Shore's score was rejected, regardless, James N. Howard was brought in last minute. I do like JNH's score he stylized it a la Steiner, but still would love to hear Shore's version.
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently JNH took just two months to compose a score for a three hour long movie. Can you imagine the pressure from such a deadline?

(I guess during the really noisy fighting scenes, you could just wing it.)

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm good point bentoons... it does seem a bit Steiner, which might well have been why Shore's score wasn't accepted, since at its base, Jackson's Kong is a an homage after all.
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme revell completed the tomb raider score in 10 days. Cool beaten!
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How would one find out if a score is available for sale? I would love this score. I think while it didnt pay homage to the older movie should be stunning.. I may have actually enjoyed it more

Rebecca
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything about plans to make this score available, and my bet is that we'll wait a long time to see it... if we ever see it, that is.

That said, I'd love to hear what Shore did with Kong.
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only choice, to be vaguely put, is to search thru the Forums of all the major ST websites, just like everyone else. Thru there, you'll find questions, rumors, and other such batter pertaining to Shore's rejected score. Probability speaking, seventy percent of those rumors are false. But it will keep your mind occupied till the real deal does come up....if at all.

Personaly speaking, I don't believe that Shore's score for KK will be released in the near future. But I've been wrong in the past.

*should be moved to Soundtracks Section

*Thanks - Moved by JERIC from General*

crystalstare
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 10891

crystalstare is offline View user's profile Send private message crystalstare's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested... http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1126891566

King Kong ran production diaries throughout the filming process.. besides being interesting, there are videos of Howard Shore composing the score and snippets from it.
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

could he just release it for some other movie that he is going to do in the future? I understnad it would need to be reworked a bit but is this ever done?
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

WORKERVR wrote:
could he just release it for some other movie that he is going to do in the future? I understnad it would need to be reworked a bit but is this ever done?

In fact, the answer to that question is yes, sometimes.

One example that I can think of is Alex North's rejected score from 2001: A Space Odyssey. He later used the rejected space station docking theme for Dragonslayer (1981).
Francel
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7814

Francel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Francel's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly unlikely.

Howard wants to, but that is not his choice, it's the studio's (the copyright owners) and to put it simply, the studio has a good reason not to release it and that is, King Kong already has a score and it received an album release.

Now to point No. 2 - Howard was NOT fired, he departed after he agreed he and Jackson were not seeing eye to eye on the overall tone of the resulting score. It was an agreement choice from both sides and that didn't end in any bad terms as people who like to speculate would like you to believe.

Howard's score is really nice, but on a personal note, I think JNH's effort did a better work on portraying the feel Jackson wanted.

And about Howard reworking it to put it in some other film... I'm not so sure, he doesn't tend to do that.

Didn't I post this before a few weeks back?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: