StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Eight Below - a review. WARNING Potential SPOILERS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:28 pm   Post subject: Eight Below - a review. WARNING Potential SPOILERS! Reply with quote

This review is kinda hard to write w/o giving something away about the movie.

First off, I'd just like to say that this was a good movie. The acting was great, as was the casting. There were some aspects that I didn't think were quite right, but all in all, it was time well spent.

If you've seen Snow Dogs with Cuba Gooding Jr, you'll recognize some of the furry stars in this one too. However, if you are expecting a film like Snow Dogs, then you may be disappointed. The two are not anything like each other.

Soundtrack review - I did get sucked up into the story so I wasn't able to hear the soundtrack as well as I would have liked, but the music definately fit, and was well done. I do remember noting to myself that I will want the ST at somepoint.

WARNING: This is where the spoilers come in.

Spoiler:
Despite that this is a Walt Disney Picture, an it's PG rating, it is NOT (in my opinion) a movie for young kids, UNLESS they have a grasp (here's a spoiler) on the conept of death and can handle the death of animals, specifically dogs (no, not all of them make it.)

It was a tough movie for me to watch. As a dog lover, I found it heart-wrenching, and it doesn't help that I own of those same kind of dogs. There were a couple of times I actualy thought about getting up and leaving because I just couldn't take it anymore. As someone else put it "it was a happy ending after 90minutes of heart-wrenching sadness." Everytime it showed the date and the number of days the dogs were on their own, you could hear the auduience gasp in pain.
On one hand, if you are a dog lover, I'd recommend it, but only if you can deal with it emotionaly. I don't think there was dry eye in the theater (sold out). And definately do not take the kids (we didn't take ours thankfully) unless they can deal with it.

I'm, surprised that it was released under the Walt Disney Films banner. Considering the story line, I would have expected it to be under the Orion or Touchstone banner. Perhapse then at least I would have been better prepared (or not as surprised.)

-tg

Spoiler inserted for AK-Mal by Twopop
jbarta VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 10794

jbarta is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View jbarta's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review AKM! I will have to mark it down to watch some time.

jbarta.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*I tried to be very careful in my word choice so as to not give any spoilers, but be warned that the following comments are regarding the movie and could give potential insight into the movie*

I most definitely agree with you AK-Mal on all of your points.

This is a Disney film and I would agree that it is probably not for just any kid to watch as it does deal with a lot of emotional moments. I recommend it for only the most mature younger kids and even at that a parent might want to discuss at least some aspects of the film with them before hand just so they are better prepared.

I am not usually a Paul Walker fan, but he did a very good job in this movie. While the movie is not based on a true story, it is dedicated to all of those people and dogs that are involved with research work in the poles.

I am definitely a dog lover and must honestly say this was a tough movie to watch, but after seeing it I am very happy that I watched the entire movie. AK's ascertion that it is an emotional roller coaster is very true. The music I thought was an excellent fit for the movie and it is another strong effort by Mark Isham. Unfortunately there has not been a CD release of this score but you can legally download the score from iTunes.

Overall, I would say this is a well done movie with some very interesting story lines. While not a true story per se it does give some interesting perspective on the researchers, dogs and surrounding environments. I would definitely recommend this movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: