StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Cyrano
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 15086

Cyrano is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyrano's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Very very funny and independent movie. The performances are really wonderful, from Toni Collete to Alan Arkin (great!). I think this film is going to be released this friday, but I saw it at a preview. I also liked the sarcastic critic to those stupid beauty contest for little girls, making them just objects that their parents use.
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady In The Water

This could have spoilers, but save your money and dont see it.

it was bad.... Doogal Bad. It was "i feel uncomfortable watching this its so laughably awful" bad.

Not only was the dialogue unnatural, forced, and ridiculous The writing in general felt like it was improvised and a group of 14 year olds sat around with Knight saying. "heh heh heh, ok what if we call it a NARF!?!" "duuuuuude that’s so rad, then the bad guy can be a, like... a werewolf, but made out of Grass and wood." "BUT DUDE! these monkeys are like, kick a$$ in the trees and they like kick a$$, man" "OH HOW BOUT' AN EAGLE!" "lets like, make Knight the savior of the world and stroke his ego and call him brilliant, then have the movie have a film critic character who is a jerk"

this sort of thing goes on. It was random, crap. I can understand how the story part of it... the part that the Korean mother talks about as the story she heard as a child, it was Ok, but everything else about this was a big "what the hell" moment.

so yeah, it was a mess. all this out of the world stuff was happening and everyone was very cool and understanding that there was a giant grass dog after a water nymph called a narf who had come to tell knight that he was the savior of the world.

I had a lot of hopes for this movie. Im a fan of M Knights stuff but this was just garbage. If you read one bad review you have probibaly read every one of them. This movie is such a giant failure on just about every part of making a movie and telling a compelling story, that I almost walked out. However i stayed in my seat waiting for one of Knight's twist endings only to have a really really bad ending with no twist.

Sorry to let anyone down.

Eff' this movie.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got 2 movies in this weekend...

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
- This was a great date movie, definently not for little ones!!! I was a bit hesitant on this one, but we ended up loving it and laughing a lot.

Clerks II - If you saw Clerks, you know what to expect here. Lots of funny stuff, lots of stuff that'll turn your ears red and make sure you stay until the credits are over Wink
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

awe crap, i didnt stay till the end of clerks 2. what happened?!?!

My views do not reflect that of my employers.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RobW720 wrote:
awe crap, i didnt stay till the end of clerks 2. what happened?!?!

Just a little 1 minute cartoon shot with Jay & Silent Bob.. it was cute. My hubbie thought it was well worth the 5 minute wait, even though I thought the bathroom looked more inviting Wink
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster House - This is a fun and cute movie that's great for the whole family. There were funny things in there that even made the adults laugh! If you can, go and see it in 3D. I didn't get to see it in 3D, but I'm sure it would've made the experience even better!

The score for this film was awesome! It's by a man named Douglas Pipes(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1884354/) . To be honest, I really thought it was Debney because it had a bit of that 'Cutthroat Island' feel to it. I may just have to pick this one up!

Go and see this movie! You won't be disappointed! Very Happy
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

I thought I'd go see something that was more meaningful than the usual multiplex stuff since I've been interested in global warming since my environmental ethics classes in college. It's basically a documentary that tags along with Al Gore as he visits different countries to give his global warming powerpoint presentation.

I highly recommend that everyone see it, even skeptics of global warming, because there are a lot of satellite pictures of polar ice caps looking like swiss cheese and the before and after shots of glaciers from around the world that have almost disappeared. I was sufficiently alarmed by the prediction that this planet might be unbearably hot in another 50-100 years at the current rate of carbon dioxide production. I didn't think the documentary was too technical, no more so than the average episode of NOVA or a TV science documentary, and it wasn't boring like you might think.

I thought the documentary really humanized Al Gore, since it showed him on his family farm talking about the seminal events in his life that influenced his decision to save the planet, really for his grandkids and everyone's grandkids.

The only global warming connection that he made that I didn't agree with was the rise in new infectious diseases, but that was a really short side comment. I believe that's more related to humans intermingling with some animals that are disease carriers. It's more likely that a massive environmental catastrophe combined with a mass exodus of refugees may increase disease transmission.

And the credits were really cool because it had tips for what viewers could do to become carbon neutral. So stay for those if you see it.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

I really didn't know what to expect at all with this movie. I hadn't seen too many previews, and a group of people I was hanging out with for the weekend really wanted to see it. Not knowing what I was in for, and being open to possibly feeling like the fifth wheel, I tagged along. (Soon after, my fifth wheel status was established.) Anyhow, the movie ... Well, after having to cover my eyes and ears during the scariest preview of my life (really, dont even know what movie it was for.) Humming 'we all live in a yellow submarine' to myself the whole eternity that the scarymovie preview lasted, did not even help much. Just watch out ... you'll know which preview I'm talking about when the moment the preview starts, you feel the warm sensation of urine in your seat. (sorry, didnt meant to get so graphic ... but it was life altering.)

Really the movie:
I'm not generally a Will Ferrell fan, nor a fan of base humor, but this movie was hilarious. Then again, I had no idea what to expect and I was with great company. It even had the semblance of a storyline and basically a feel-good movie. THe modern society's definition of comedic wholesomeness, even. If you're in the mood for that type of thing and aren't bringing small children, then it's a good pick. Not that it was crude, just that I wouldn't have been able to see it as a small child in the conservative household I grew up in. (If they want to join in on the racecar movie action- I highly suggest Cars.) It's definatley worth a rental if you don't want to pay the full matinee price. A good date movie if you're going for a light mood.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LADY IN THE WATER

This was a HUGE disappointment. There were some nice scares and design in it, but the story was so predicable and was trying way too hard. It was just weird. I didn't like most of the characters and had no care by the end of the film of what happened to who. You can make films about characters that don't really do anything meaningful for the whole movie...like Mallrats for example. But at least that film fills in the gaps with humour. This doesn't.

Morph
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeccabutterfly wrote:
Well, after having to cover my eyes and ears during the scariest preview of my life (really, dont even know what movie it was for.) Humming 'we all live in a yellow submarine' to myself the whole eternity that the scarymovie preview lasted, did not even help much. Just watch out ...

Did you ever find out what movie's preview you were watching? I'm curious, though it would probably have the same effect on me. When my husband and I went to see Batman Begins, one of the trailers was for the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I was terrified of the original film, and the teaser for the remake certainly stimulated my fight-or-flight response (great teaser, BTW), so as soon as I saw the Wonka logo, I shimmied out of my row and hung out (hid) in the lobby until it was over. I've seen the trailer since, and I had nothing to worry about, but better safe than waking up in a cold sweat.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the grudge 2? I googled it, and thats what i found. I'm not going to try and find out for sure... I really just don't want to know.

but the Borat movie preview looks hilarious, by the way. Ali G is hilarity at its finest and the character he played in the movie was one of my favorites.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Hot Ballroom (2005)

This is the fourth documentary I have seen that focuses on children. In Rock School (2005), it is a bunch of 9-17 year olds learning to play rock'n' roll music under the tutelage of an aggressive, demanding teacher. Spellbound (2002) observes a group of 11-14 year olds competing in a National Spelling Bee. Mad Hot Ballroom follows three New York City public schools who participate in a city-wide ballroom dance competition. To Be And To Have (2002) is unique amoungst this group. A portrait of a one-room school in rural France with students aged 4-11, this gentle, moving film about the joy and pain of learning is a real treat. The idyllic, peacful setting only adds to the sense I am getting a rare glimpse into a world I left many years ago. In a way it a lament for the passing of childhood and a style of teaching that may be dying out.
The competition allows these other documentaries a story structure that brings humor, tension and a climax of sorts. Mad Hot Ballroom is both charming and poignant. Children never fail to be funny, but I am also conscious that the discipline of practice, the pressure of competing, the disappointment of loss, means they lose a little of their naivety and wonder as they mature, as of course they must. These are also precious records of a brief moment in their development.
Mad Hot Ballroom does suffers from including so many children (understandably, as it is a team competition), so it is hard to get to know them individually. It is also too long, and watching the kids' awkward efforts at dancing becomes repetitive after a while.
All these documentaries are a timely reminder that children are a diverse bunch, irrespective of their cultural or socio/economic background. They can be cute and charming, but also precocious, difficult and at times, quite odd. They are also as much about teaching as they are about the children. They show teachers of very different personalities, yet their love for the children they are teaching is readily apparent. There can be no greater pleasure than observing a child's untapped talent blossom with the guidance and patience of a caring teacher. The results are genuinely thrilling. In Rock School, check out CJ playing guitar like a demon at the climatic Frank Zappa festival in Germany that sends the crowd wild. Or Wilson in Mad Hot Ballroom: this boy was born to dance and when he performs the rumba in the Semi Finals it brings the house down and is easily the best sequence in the film. Such moments are a joy to behold, not least because, like all the children in these films, they are natural and unselfconsious.
Watching children learn and discover who they are, or just watching children being themselves, is always a constant delight.
Mad Hot Ballroom 6/10
Rock School 6/10
Spellbound 5/10
To Be Or To Have 7/10
Ensign

Member#: 12707

Jade_Kadir is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Jade_Kadir's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a movie per say, but I just finished the second season of Dead Like Me and found it even funnier and more interesting than the first season.

IMdB

Original music is by Stewart Copeland, Emilio Kauderer, & Tom Maxwell, but on occasion they feature songs from various artists. Dead Like Me Online

Although the show only lasted two seasons, I found it to be both lighthearted and a little bitter, kind of like coffee with a lot of sugar in it. Wink

I would highly reccomend this to anyone who likes dark comedy.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to see World Trade Center

I was pleasantly surprised. It was not a political movie as some had feared. It is an intense story about an incredible situation that takes place in one of the defining moments of the modern era. The story draws you in and you find yourself quickly sharing the joys and sorrows of the characters. The fact that these events actually happened (with some differences I'm sure) makes it even easier to get caught up. It's PG-13, appropriately. If you're prone to nightmares about movies you see you'll want to think twice. It's also not for the little ones. I recommend it, especially to those who have forgotten too much about the events of 5 years ago. It's also a reminder of the sacrifice of the 343 FDNY, 23 NYPD, 37 PAPD, and uncounted others who gave their lives to help others.

In short: an intense movie about people at their best in the midst of people at their worst.

Oh, and I'm sure the score was great, but I wasn't able to focus on that.

jeff
sdg
Asriana
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeccabutterfly wrote:
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
I'm not generally a Will Ferrell fan, nor a fan of base humor, but this movie was hilarious.

I totally agree Rebecca. We saw Talladega last night. Will is slowly growing on me, but he's never been one of my favorites. This was a hilarious movie! It really helped lighten my mood after a stressful work-week.

@j2 - thanks for the write up on W.T.C. I was afraid it was going to be politicized. This is one I'm going to have to see.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 5 of 66

Jump to: