StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And we picked one more DVD from the pile:

HARD CANDY: a disturbing thriller about a 14 y. old girl being picked up by a 32y photographer who takes her home (here the prejudice already starts).
But then developes a mindtwisting cat-and-mouse game between them changing the roles of predator and prey. Very eyecatching Indie-movie which gives you lots to think about. Ending was not satisfactory for me personally.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And I can add three more movies seen on television at Gf's:

JAMÓN,JAMÓN : A Bigas Luna movie with a young Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem. Classic love drama where girl falls for the charms of a man hired to do so by her mother-in-law to be. Title points toward the allegory for lust.

RESCUE DAWN: An, apparently, true story about an american marine who escapes captivity by Vietcong guerillas. Music by Klaus Badelt Smile

THE BEGUILED: Old (1970) American War movie starring Clint Eastwood as a Northern soldier who gets a more then warm hospitalization in a girlsschool. Jealousy among the four women interested in this man, ranging in age from 12 till mid-40 gives this movie an eerie twist.
Hadn't heared of this before but was surprised over the script. Music was good and composed by Lalo Schifrin.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

and added HIDALGO.
Another movie based on an historical fact.
Half-indian army courier ends up in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show where he gets an invitation to challenge Arabian topbreed horses in a longdistance race. Viggo Mortensen plays lead character, Omar Shariff as sheik as usual.
Funfact: Viggo got so attached to the horse that he bought it after they wrapped up the movie.
Wonderful James Newton Howard score.

Canada Last_Starfighter
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 29174

Last_Starfighter is offline View user's profile Send private message View Last_Starfighter's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Piranha (2010) - didn't expect much from this flick, but it did entertain me for 1hr 28mins haha. If you're into spring break boobies, killer animals, and campy comedy, and bloody gore, you'll probably enjoy this one.

King Arthur (2004) - Clive Owen, Keira Knightly (as i previously posted in the unpopular movies threa)

I bought the dvd for cheap the other day, and most my friends didn't have much good to say about the film. The north american box office was weak, but internatinally it made big money! I LOVED this movie, it had a refreshing look at King Arthur and his Knights. No hocus pocus Merlin magic, shiny polished armor, and slaying dragons. Yes the film's historical facts might be way off, but it made for a very realistic, gritty film with incredible battle scenes. Easily my favourite role for Clive.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the whole evening ahead just for spending it low budget I posted myself for Gf's TV-set and watched:

UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN: An overromantic movie with beautiful scenery and nice music by Christophe Beck. Can't see a movie with Diana Rigg without being reminded of the Avengers.'La Dolce Vita" scene was quite nice.

After that one THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972) started on TCM. James Coburn playing a pathologist who starts a search for the one who did an illegal abortion on a 15y old to clear his friend's name. Did me think of an episode of Quincy,M.D.
Few bites of score by Roy Budd. IMDb score 6.1/10
and that's fair enough.

Last edited by Dutchbat on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And saturdaynight makes a good time after work to relax before the TV-set (how bourgeois).

CITY OF EMBER; adventure movie of two teenagers who save the destruction of their city's population.
Artwork reminded me of the movies of the Jeunet brothers. Storyline is very thin but clearly moralising on how we should take care with our earth's reserves. Nice score by Andrew Lockington.

followed by:
STARDUST; the modern version that is. Fairylike story with a quest for a fallen star (who turns out to speak reasonably good english) and a superb role for Robert de Niro as transvestite Pirate captain and Michelle Pfeiffer as witch, a role she did before.
Only thing amazing on this flic was the fact that such a disastrous movie has such a good score (by Ilan Eshkeri.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the movie: 10,000 BC

If you wanna have a good laugh on messing up all kinds of (pre)historical and archeological facts this is a must-see.
Thinnest of all storylines couldn't help it either.
Music from Harald Kloser and Thomas Wander was less hysterical.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, you are the guts of this thread, and no mistake.

Last night I watched 2010: Moby Dick on Syfy. Let me start by saying it's been a big fortnight on TV for the great white whale. First, Futurama spoofed it, then the new Thundercats did an episode based on it, and the Encore channel made a 2-part miniseries of which I caught a few scenes. Oh, and it looks like Syfy is making its own version.

This version was fun. It threw in enough lines from the original novel and name-checked characters in interesting ways. And unlike the recent rash of Dino-monster vs. Mega-somethings that Syfy has been making, this movie wasn't trying to be campy. Sure the spfx were what they could afford, but the joy of putting a movie on a submarine is that you save a lot of money in sets.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

New Thundercats?! Please do tell more...

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you LadyInque. I'll cherish this (as a) compliment.
Doing my humble contribution for the benefit and glory of this community.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther:
Cartoon Network has rebooted Thundercats. Had you not heard?

Some of the episode I mentioned above, plus assorted clips, can be seen here for a limited time. In the US, anyway.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Return to Oz last night. I remembered the plot from this comic book adaptation I read as a kid. No idea what happened to it. Anyway, the movie was... well, I can see why it's a cult film. A lot of really interesting imagery, but the story wasn't as interesting. Cash the plot coupons for an ending, that sort of thing. BUT, I will say that there is some really imaginative use of Claymation in that film by the master of the form, Will Vinton. (Ask your parents!). So worth a look, if you're curious.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed Rango as a send-up of spaghetti westerns. Lots of details in the animation and fast-paced action scenes. Basically, Rango is a domesticated lizard that gets mistaken as the savior of a frontier town suffering from a severe drought. He has to do some soul searching after he's exposed as a phony and return to save the day.

Also thought No Strings Attached was rather underrated as a romantic comedy since there's a lot of people who are skittish about being in a relationship and prefer to be together without commitments. Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman brought some believability to their roles despite the predictable plot - they have a fantastic time together, decide they should break it off and date other people, get jealous, then realize they are right for each other.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
Also thought No Strings Attached was rather underrated as a romantic comedy since there's a lot of people who are skittish about being in a relationship and prefer to be together without commitments.

Exactly why I want to see this movie. looking forward to: "Friends with benefits" a story about Girlfriend and me, I suppose.

But I had to do with: AGORA
a movie about historic Alexandria where a female philospopher has to deal with the outrages of religions getting fanatic. How actual.
I watched it mainly to have an excuse to buy Marianelli's wonderful score for it. Wink
On order now.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Since other people don't seem to watch movies (or do not post that here) here are my next two entries which I saw on the tiny screen in the airplaneseat.:

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS:
Being a bit cranky that I missed it in local theatre, I was pleased it was on demand available.
Beautiful situated movie of a veterinary student who jumps on a circustrain for a new life. Falls in love with the wife of the director and an elephant called 'Rosie'
Situated in the time of the Depression with beautiful detail in art direction and music. Score by James Newton Howard

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS:
Don't know what to think about this semi-romantic movie with a fantasy-twist. Gil Bender (Owen Wilson) is with his to-be-family-in-law and the city let's him find out that his doubts on this marriage are somehow historically based. At the stroke of midnight escapism brings him into an imaginative world of writers and painters from the past and a love he never shall meet in the present. Or shall he?
Ending was very unsatisfying for me.
Besides of the starcast (Kathy Bates was superb) it still is more an arthouse production than a mainstream movie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 41 of 66

Jump to: