StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some of a recent Meat Loaf concert a little while ago on TV. I think it was his Three Bats Tour. I couldn't watch it. I just couldn't. The show opened with "Paradise by the Dashboard Light," which set the wrong tone for the whole enterprise. Plus, Meat was 60 when he filmed this, and they still had him sing with a scantilly-clad 20-year-old. Ugh.

The man has also lost what he used to have, voice-wise. He couldn't hit high notes, and he just looked so tired and fat and old on stage. I mean, he was always overweight, and he used to need oxygen after shows even in the '70s, but this was pathetic. He tortured some great songs. It hurt my heart to watch. So I stopped.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched two movies this weekend...

JUMPING THE BROOM was about a wedding between two people from different classes in society and all the fun antics the family puts them through trying to get along. It was pretty good - nothing that changed my life but I enjoyed it.

Second was HOW DO YOU KNOW with Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Paul Rudd and Jack Nicholson. You'd think with a line-up like that it would be pretty good but honestly it felt like a waste of time. The acting was good but the plot was just boring and dumb. My favorite moments were seeing Paul Rudd's character drunk - that was funny!
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some time in a cinema chair again:

With a friend I went to see the documentary: El Bulli; cooking in progress. An interesting view behind the scenes of Spain's most highly acclaimed and starclad restaurant. Amazing what these guys do with high tech and foodcreating art.

With Girlfriend I wanted to lay back and relax with a fun movie yesterday afternoon. (too hot to do anything else in fact) HORRIBLE BOSSES.
Good to see Spacey play a 'bad' guy again. some parts were in fact funny but Jennifer Aniston is not sexy even with the minimum of clothes (for US standards that is, I'd love to see a european remake with an actress of choice)

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Update after a week hard work and still some time to watch movies:

RV A must see for me, not for the overacting of Robin Williams but for the RV who has the leadrole. Luckily I will go travel in a RV later in my life with much more preparation and knowhow. Mainstream bad Hollywood 'comedy'.

friends with benefits Another must see just because Gf and me are friends with benefits. Elas it has nothing to do with friends who choose for such a relationship and it strands in the end in the crappy Hollywood sweetness and romance I was afraid for. So either the beginning of the movie was incorrect or the end failed. Add the fact they wanted the film to be rated for a large public which meant louzy sexscenes (with clothes and bedlinnen) and noisy teenagers who impossibly could get the idea what the whole idea was about and therefore disturbed the whole movie. Maybe a European remake can make something out of the basically interesting story.

the king's speech Now we are getting to the real stuff. Oscarwinning movie played for the 33rd
week but was due to end it's roulation so we oughtta see it this morning. Splendid work and chapeau for Firth and Rush who played excellent roles as King George VI and his to-become-friend and speechtherapist Lionel Logue. Desplat's score knows when to be humble and only highlights where it is necessary. Very timid score but then again a wonderful Desplat.

la prima cosa bella Seen right after the previous movie. Italy's entry for best foreign language movie for the Oscars. Set in the 70's and present it shows the relation of two kids and their mother who ran off from her husband after he got jealous when she was made Summer Queen at a beachparty. In the present the mother needs palliative care but still enjoys every last minute of her life. in flashbacks we see how the relationships evolved during time. Beautiful movie which has great character developments in the roles.
Little bit of musical score was by director's brother: Carlo Virzí. The rest were timely songs from which the text added to the storyline. (Title is from a song the kids and mother sang together)

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Dutch, reading your reviews, sometimes I just feel like we're two different people. I wouldn't even have seen the movies you reviewed.

Not that my viewing choices lately have been particularly inspired. I watched the end of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on TV the other night. Did you know that the pyramids and the temple of Karnak are right next to each other? Or that Jordan is only a ten-minute drive from Cairo?* I didn't really know what was happening, so when the movie was rerun, I watched the beginning. I got through about 20 minutes before the flesh creatures became too boring and stupid to handle. So... I don't really know what happened in the middle. I don't need to find out.

*So not true, either of these things. But not to see it in this movie.

I also watched all of The Great Muppet Caper this weekend. There's a lot of ambitious muppetry on display. Lots of full-body shots of characters, and we get to see Kermit put on pants! The story was only there to hang gags on. But overall, the movie was entertaining.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque: I suspect that the film makers figured that once you accepted sentient robots from outer space traveling to Earth and battling for the sake of action movies that small things like geography and physics weren't a big concern.

jeff
sdg
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Oh, Dutch, reading your reviews, sometimes I just feel like we're two different people. I wouldn't even have seen the movies you reviewed.

lol, isn't that always the case. But I take that as a compliment.

This weekend I took Girlfriend along to a screening of
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS part 2.
For continuity reasons I just had to see this one of course and it was still in a theatre which I prefer, especially for that kind of actionclad movies.
I haven't read the book yet but I hope the book will see less hastiness in ending the story. This somewhat disturbed me in this movie.
Some major movie-mistakes occurred too which contributed for me too a less inspired and bit disappointing movie.
On the other hand, I enjoyed Desplat's score for this one.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me add two more movies that LadyInque might have seen or know.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES:
If I take this movie separate from all the other Apeplanet-vehicles it isn't that bad a movie at all.
Story is familiar: Moneythirsty drugmanufacturer skips safety regulations and eager scientist takes things in his own hands. Result: High IQ'ed chimp that won't except human control anymore. Good acting by Andy Serkis (Gollum in the LOTR-movies)
Louzy facts around the drug that for some unknown reason turns into a worldthreatening virus didn't do much good for the movie. Doyle did an actionscore again after several drama's.
Medium + as endscore.

JANE EYRE (2011)
The most old-school classic Marianelli score I heared from him this far but it fits this latest remake of the Brontë-classic. Refilmed several times but this one stays very close to the actual bookstory. Lovely camerawork and great performances by the lead characters and a supporting role for Judi Dench.
The gothic approach in the beginning made it lean a bit on the thrillerside of the main story but that was weakened when necessary. Gave it a high rating on the ballotform.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Being ill (and recovering) leaves you stranded on a couch indoors. That means moviewatching.

THE PAINTED VEIL:
wonderful camerawork in this in Guilan,China recorded movie. Lead actors Edward Norton and Naomi Watts were also producing which I think deminished my favorite actor's acting talent on this one. Story is about a bacteriologist who takes his newly wed wife to Shanghai. After he discovers her adultry he 'punishs' her by accepting a job as doctor in a cholera-contaminated village in the scenic Guilan-mountains. Movietheme is about forgiveness but masterly woven with other themes that focused on Chinese politics. Score (again) by Alexandre Desplat

The Halloweenweekend showed several related movies on Dutch TV:
starting off with:

THE CORPSE BRIDE:
Nicely produced animationmovie about a classic horrortale. Very humouristic details in it which contribute to the acceptance of the storyline.
Only minus for me is the musical approach. I detest musicals, the story is disrupted by songs. Luckilly later on in the movie that disappeared.
Entertaining enough to review it with an 7

MONSTERS VS.ALIENS; MUTANT PUMPKINS FROM OUTER SPACE:
Halloween special (animated short) which see the feature movie's characters mingle in with Halloween partygo-ers to look for 'Crazy Frog'-mimicing pumpkins mutated by aliens. Fun in-betweener from studio.

SCARED SHREKLESS:
Another animated short as Halloween special. Fiona and Shrek scare the sh"t out of known characters from Shrekmovies. Loved the part where the Gingerbread Man tells his story: Gingerbread Women as zombies, hilarious. Fun from the makers shows in endresult.

THE HAUNTED MANSION:
I've never seen a movie with Eddy Murphy NOT over(re)acting. But then again I didn't see the movie he got an Oscar-nomination for, so maybe there's still hope. This flick certainly was not surprising on that part. Bad attempt from Disney to make a family-horror story out of a '60's classic.
Only thing really worth the money they spend, was the BMW. Only actor who made something out of his role was Terence Stamp as butler.
Music by Mark Mancina seems hard to find but certainly worth looking for.

SCARY MOVIE 4
Much ado about nothing, less to do with movie-entertainment. Goodness, what a unsalted repetition of dumbest jokes imaginable. At the max maybe I grinned for 2 or 3 times. the "4" maybe is not the sequelnumber but the age of spectators this vehicle was meant for. Parts were filmed at the most expensive Universal backlot (the set for "War of the Worlds")

TRICK'R'TREAT:
My hope was that a genuine horrormovie would compensate for the previous one. But helas, no, different storylines have no connection and do not come together at a certain point. Characters remain unexplained and serve only the special effects B-crew. Douglas Pipes did the score but he couldn't save the incomprehensiveness of this movie so his score follows the action unlike his score for "Monster House".
I've seen a lot of weird movies in my life, so I can state I'm quite experienced in movie-understanding but alongside with "the Cell" this one I just couldn't get.

France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw two children movies during my holidays, which make me wonder if I'm still a child or not...

First : Arrietty, which is absolutely splendid, on the animation and on the story. I was totally taken by it, but slightly disapointed on the end. I would have like to have more conclusions, but definitively a great time. The music is amazing, a mix between celtic and japanese music with a bit of a french touch, which describes perfectly the mix of two worlds in the movie.

Second : Fievel goes West which totally disapointed me. The story (if I can use this word for the sum of all cliches you can find) goes too fast, and people keep talking and talking and talking even in the action scenes. There wasn't any suspense, cause they didn't let you time to be waiting for a solution that they already solve it. The music is wayyy better than the movie, but as I knew it by heart, I have these kind of comments while watching : "Ah, OK, that's why there is this drum here. And I understand now why the music stop abruptly".
My daughter loved the movie but not my son who was scared by the evil spider.
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN:
This movie is (or has) one big joke and that is Rowan Atkinson. The movie has a storyline, but who cares? The movie has a nice Bond-like score again (by Ilan Eshkeri) but who cares? The movie lacks any depth and the jokes are childish and predictable, but who cares 'cause it's Bean performing here. A must see for the Bean-fans and if you hate that character just stay at home.
I liked it a lot. Shameless slapstick comedy.

Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday we (scorefreak and I) went to The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn in IMAX 3D

It is a masterpiece. Nicely done and very nice effects and 'rollercoaster' action scenes. As you probably has seen in the "latest soundtrack thread" I already have the score for a week. When I listen to it I thought it was a nice score but it did not impress me much. But with the movie the music is excellent.
A must see movie you have to see in 3D (if possible)
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

PASSCHENDAELE
A Canadian TV-movie with the beauiful score of Jan A.P. Kaczmarek. A story about a canadian veteran who, for love, goes back to the front to look over his love's brother. Character existed for real, as was the harshness and cruelty of that war.
Impressive production.

USA BuyerQueen
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas - Let me preface this by saying JERIC and I had a "date" night away from the kids and we always choose to see R rated movies that the kids couldn't possibly watch for the next 6 years or so. We had seen the 1st 2 H&K movies. This one was silly, gross, funny and obscene. It made us laugh. As always Neil Patrick Harris stole the show. And the little girls made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. This movie is just for fun and that's what it was.

BQ
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from the movie The Three Musketeers 3D. The same old story packed in a lot of nice action and special effects scenes. Some added only for the 3D effect. A Zimmerresque score by Paul Haslinger. Go see it in 3D for the nice scenes, the story you know already
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 42 of 66

Jump to: