StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again:
A day off inbetween two jobs gave me the opportunity to catch up on some movies (and it's good having unlimited access to the cinema to do so).

NEW KIDS NITRO:
A sequel to a ridiculous, but don't read funny, movie which exaggerates in portraying nowaday low-lifes (in US known as Camper Trash). So count on swearing and cursing in almost every line, explicit violence and sex and no storyline what so ever. Add to that the fact that the two leadcharacters did screenplay and directing and you are guaranteed that this 'picture' is only meant to attract the same people to the theatre that are in fact mocked by the producers but who are too dumb to realize that. Short before release the Filmboard gave it a Rated-16 status what the first movie surprisingly didn't get.
After seeing this one, it only could get better...

KILLER ELITE
Entertaining actionpacked movie which, like Siri told you in a previous review,
is based on true facts and sparked by the denial of British Government in the case of the SAS being involved in Oman's domestic politics. A bit comparable with the movies based on the books of Tom Clancy. Jason Stratham starring as hired killer doing his 'last' job for a friend held hostage (de Niro).

DE HEINEKEN ONTVOERING (translates as: THE HEINEKEN KIDNAPPING)
Documented drama starring Dutch international top actor Rutger Hauer as beermanufacturer Freddie Heineken. Based on the facts of the actual kidnapping of Heineken and his driver in 1983. Although slightly altered the story gives an accurate picture of the proceedings during the kidnapping.

HYSTERIA:
Romantic comedy about the true story behind the development of the best sold sextoy ever, the vibrator. Very entertaining mainly by the way the director approaches the subject. Title points to the fact that many of the mishaps that women occurred were diagnosed as hysteria. (until 1952 !!)
Starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, Hugh Dancy, Rupert Everett and Jonathan Pryce.
Nice score using classic music from that period combined with the score from composer Gast Waltzing, mixing with that perfectly.

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

WAR HORSE

This was a bit of a disappointment, so I would temper your expectations if you want to see it. Although I was impressed by the scope of the filmmaking and the actors' efforts, the film's forced sentimentality and simplicity made it hard for me to enjoy fully.

Joey, a remarkable horse, and his teenage owner, Albert, are separated by WWI preparations. Albert decides to go in search of Joey as he's passed around to different owners on both sides of the conflict.

I think War Horse is aimed more at teens and their families since little kids would be very disturbed by seeing dead horses strewn around the WWI battlefields. I enjoyed seeing the historical details of how the horses were used as cavalry and to haul artillery. I would probably catch this on video if I had the choice.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN:SECRET OF THE UNICORN.
First of all ,which says already a lot, it's a Spielberg movie. So well-directed action and a high level of detail. Especially in the way new techniques were perfectioned to let the actors really look like cartoonfigurines. Splendid role by Andy Serkis, portraying Captain Haddock. Really looked as a stripalbum came to live, the 3D-version contributing to this as well.
In fact this storyline was based on 3 TinTin stories.
Very entertaining IMHO. Williams' begin and end tune stood out, but the rest of the score is mainly supportive.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
WAR HORSE
This was a bit of a disappointment, so I would temper your expectations if you want to see it.

I tempered my expectations for this movie once I found out it would use real horses.
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally on tuesdays I go play snooker with a colleague of mine. But he was unable to play yesterday. So for me an opportunity to go to the Sneak Preview in my hometown. You will not know which movie is played only it is a movie that will be released in the near future.

The movie was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Good movie not much action, so some left the theater in the beginning of the movie. It is a movie where you have to stay focussed, else you can not follow it. So if you are in such kind of movie, go see it!
Nice music by Alberto Iglesias
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this forum is generally for movies, but I cannot get over the most recent episode of Community, which streams for a limited time at hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/306862/community-regional-holiday-music#s-p1-so-i0

Community is a show about a study group at a local community college. In this episode, they take over the Christmas pageant for the school's glee club, who barely survived a run-in with ASCAP. Hijinks and Glee parodies ensue.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but I love it. I've watched it something like 4 times already and I know all the words to "Baby Boomer Santa." It's not fair that I finally find a show to replace my beloved Scrubs, and it goes on hiatus, possibly never to return.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Next series of reviews of movies I've seen this week inbetween jobs or while waiting for that.

UNITED 93:
Docudrama about the 9/11-plane that was planned to hit the White House but was retrieved by passengers from hijackers. Well documented infotainment but some characters could have had more depth or background. Powell did a supporting score, what was appropriate with this subject.

IN TIME:
Vague sci-fi thriller where time is the money you need to stay alive.
Some scenes are directly stolen from "the Getaway" , "Convoy"and "Bonny and Clyde"
Justin Timberlake plays a modern Robin Hood/Bonny and Clyde character who steels time back from the persons who control the system.
Social-critical warnings are there but very hard to filter out.
Unsatisfying ending.

THE ARTIST:
Black and white silent movie in old Hollywood setting (french movie though). Old style needs a while to adapt to but is a necessity to tell the story of a silentmovie star who helps a starlet to fame but is then surpassed by same girl who is the newborn star in the 'talkies'. Nice supporting roles by James Cromwell and John Goodman.
Due to the silentmovie-style the music is a character an sich and is fantastic composed by Bource, earning him a European Film Award for Best Score. Some fantastic scenes like the one with the glass of water which brings the first sound in. Oscars!!!

NEW YEAR'S EVE:
Flick from the producers of "Valentine's day" and made in the same way, having different storylines telling about the struggle for life, love or career in the verge of nearing New Year's Eve. Large number of filmstars playing can't save the poor script. Some grins with some lines doesn't make it a true comedy IMO. De Niro is convincing as a patient postponing his moment to die till after the 'Ball drop' of Times Square.
Score by John Debney is being scrambled inbetween all the source music.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE INTERNATIONAL:
Clive Owen stars as an Interpol agent in a years-long quest to get a bank that's into weapontrade to justice. The fact that his research is being blocked by the authorities who are involved makes him go beyond his jurisdiction. This makes it trustworthy to accept the storyline and makes you wonder at the same time that reall life could see the same corruption. Good actionmovie. Music by director Tom Tykwer with his companions Heil and Klimek.
(Lola rennt, Perfume)

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

FRIGHT NIGHT (2011 remake)

I was so looking forward to seeing this in theaters, but they only had 3D, and after getting into a nasty fight with customer service... well, let's just say it didn't happen. So I rented this to watch New Year's Eve.

What a waste. A waste of one dollar, two hours, and opportunity. A criminal waste of David Tennant, whose character was only starting to get interesting as the movie wound to a close. Somewhat less a waste of Chris Sarandon.

I could have done without the foul language. I mean, I'm a grownup, and I do use certain words from time to time, but in this movie the swearing just got in the way, especially when it was used instead of creative dialogue or character development.

And the misogyny! Women in this movie are useless at best, slutty monster bait at worst. And as the final credits begin to roll, the song they play has the refrain, "99 problems and the b**** ain't one." Seriously? That's what you're going out with?

The original film was so much fun. Scary, but fun. This one is unpleasant. People die in horrible ways. The monster is a CGI nightmare, and not in a good way. There's no humor, women are treated like objects, and when you think Tennant is going to liven up the proceedings, all he does is exchange obscenities with another female character.

Feh.

Meanwhile, my husband and I just finished watching the first season of Community. Loved it. Can't wait to start season two, which he got me for Christmas.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

WARRIOR

I think this film has been extremely underrated during the awards season so far. I was impressed by the Oscar-level quality of the acting, staging of the fight scenes, and well-constructed story. This was my second favorite film of the year, behind the Descendants.

Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy play two brothers driven to compete in a mixed martial arts tournament with a large cash prize. One is motivated by desperation and love for his family, and the other by guilt and honor. Their father (Nick Nolte), a recovering alcoholic, tries to reconcile with both of his sons and agrees to train Hardy's character. Frank Grillo portrays Edgerton's friend and reluctant trainer (Grillo looked kind of familiar from his soap opera days - lol).

Although it was no surprise who ended up in the title match, I was sympathetic towards both of the characters and couldn't decide who to root for. The resolution was handled beautifully and couldn't have been pulled off without tremendous performances by Edgerton and Hardy.

Some may be put off by the violence, but others may be pleasantly surprised by how emotionally raw and powerful this film is. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by zirael on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw:

PUSS IN BOOTS (3D):
I found the character of PiB already hilarious in Shrek so this one could not go wrong. Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek marvel in getting all the fun out of their characters. Storyline went sometimes a bit besirk and was kind of messy with the Humpty Dumpty sideline story but that couldn't spoil it cause there was enough detail to keep you entertained. Henry Jackman's fitted the movie even more as I suspected. Oscarcandidate.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL.
Over the top actionflic produced partly by Tom Cruise himself (any other wouldn't burn his fingers again on him). Usual mistakes and stupidities that already topped MI 1 in the ranks of movie-mistakes.com . Giacchino did the score that was surprisingly mixed with arabian and indian influences fitting the locations, what makes it interesting. Youngsters will adore this movie I guess.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of low in work this month so I can get the max out of my "Unlimited"-card for the cinema;

J.EDGAR:
The ageingeffect is sometimes distracting from the actual story. Also, the flashbacks were not always effective. I think it's an interesting story to be told but using just DiCaprio for a young and an old version of Hoover is too much asked.

THE HELP:
A housemaid's story. Black housemaids that is, in Southern USA in the '60's. Nice and sometimes funny adaption of the novel which sees some marvellous supporting roles (GoldenGlobe-winning)
Nice blend of Thomas Newman's score with period's source music.

THE IRON LADY:
Opposite my remark of DiCaprio in "J.Edgar" stands the portraying of Margaret Thatcher by Meryl Streep. Her character is much more trustworthy and also GoldenGlobe rewarded. The ageing through make-up is in this biopic much better than in "J.Edgar" Flashbacks however, are equally disturbing but much better worked out. Jim Broadbent is very good as her late husband Dennis.

TINKER,TAILOR,SOLDIER,SPY
Wonderful adaptation of LeCarré's novel. Luckily the producers did not choose for an action packed movie but let a splendid Gary Oldman do all the tale telling and transition the plot through his quiet role. This means of course that all young visitors who didn't read the reviews leave the theatre within the first half hour. Smile which again contributes to the understanding of the storyline.
Alberto Iglesias (score) let his father sing the last song (La Mer by Julio Iglesias) Long time ago I saw such a good spymovie. Whodunit till the very last scene!! I'd give it a 9.

SHERLOCK HOLMES; GAME OF SHADOWS
Point is however that it doesn't come out of the shadow of the (quite entertaining) first movie.
It's just more of the same ingredients. That also counts for the Zimmer-score.

Brazil eduardofpl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 10333

eduardofpl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website eduardofpl's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched the last episode of Star Wars: Clone Wars. For he fans, I think its a nice way to keep the story alive. This last episode was focused on the padawan Ahsoka Tano and "some" of her feelings for a young separatist. A very nice episode. Not a Top 10, but a very nice one.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE LADY:
Biopic #3 in just two weeks.
But this one is absolutely the top. Michelle Yeoh portrays in a most convincing way Nobelprizewinner Aung San Suu Kyi. Beautiful photography too and a superb role for David Thewlis as her husband. Yeoh met with Suu in preparation for this Luc Besson-movie and learned Birmese.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

this weeks reviews:

BLACKOUT:
A dutch crimemovie by a group of young filmmakers. it starts as the Hangover and follows the storyline of Memento with the lead character Jos Vreeswijk having a blackout on what happened the night before and why the dead body was laying in his bed. It turned out that cocaine was involved i.e. stolen stuff from a Russian mobster. Funny lyrics with some black humor in it and a nice role for Alex van Warmerdam (director himself) as the quirky old Police Inspector tired of sticking to the rules. Not a highflyer but entertaining enough.

A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY:
I must admit I had quite a lot of prejudice on yet another Hollywood movie on a sexsubject. Most of that was correct however the producers did their best to have some indepth storyline about the barriers to organize such a thing and convince your friends to perform. As they struggled so hard doing that it kind of stands aside from the rest. Again a fatty "Jack Black"-figure is used for the funlines. Stop that!!! I'm curious for some US reviews on this one.

THE LIBRARIAN;QUEST FOR THE SPEAR.
B-movie (can't find a better description) about a librarian chosen to be the finder of the third piece of the Spear of Destiny. Everything that can be bad on a movie was there. Jaded had warned me in advance but still it was awful. Even LoDuca's music was sometimes fitting but sometimes completely misplaced.

EASTERN PROMISES:
Tough crimestory with again Russian mob. David Cronenberg directed and that's a big plus. Viggo Mortensen was amongst the all star lead characters
(and for the female fans: all nekked) Music had some traditional russian songs and Howard Shore's score.(that is actually being aired as I write this)
Good movie/music.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 44 of 66

Jump to: