StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are only few members watching movies these days (?) here are my latest reviews:

GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO:
First: If you haven't seen the original swedish version it is a reasonable good movie (besides from the loud and irritating IMHO opening titles). Just like the original it sticks pretty close to the bestselling book. Even the locations are mostly the same. BUT If you did have seen the 'original' you automatically will compare the two versions and then this one falls behind at some points: All known actors and english language don't add to the thrustworthyness. Daniel Craig is not convincing as Mikael Blomqvist (sorry, Nessy) Rooney Mara did a slendid job but has just a little bit to smooth face to reach the level of the swedish Salander-character.
Fincher's approach didn't add something for me.

INTERNATIONAL FILMFESTIVAL ROTTERDAM is on at the moment and has a retrospective program on brazilian exploitation movies that origined in the Sao Paolo suburb "Boca de Lixo"(Mouth of Garbage)
I took this chance to watch two exclusive movies from the '70's.:
ORGIA! OU O HOMEM DEU CREA (translates as "the man who gave birth) The first and only movie by novellist Trevisan who had his film directly forbidden for the societycritic content. A very surrealistic movie with all kinds of weirdos heading for the city. Bunuel would have been proud. An emotional Trevisan was present at the screening and gave some insight on the way he made the movie. Weird but special to have seen it.
O CONVITE AO PRAZER (translates as Invitation to pleasure)
An exploitation movie by Brazilian 'Antonioni" Walter Khouri. Sexy portrait on the desillusionism of the new middle class in brazilian cities. A dentist is being pulled into decadence by rich friend but his wife takes measurements to get him out. Jazzy bossanova soundtrack added to the '70's atmosphere. Good and entertaining even when outdated.

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, give us a break there, Dutch. Sometimes life makes it darn hard to see new movies. And some movies make it darn hard to want to waste time writing about them. I honestly can't remember the last movie I watched, new or old. Sigh.

I will say that I'm 75% through the second season of Community on DVD, and I love it.
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to the pre-premiere of War Horse (today in cinemas here the Netherlands)

A typical Spielberg movie with of course the nice music by John Williams. Overall I like the movie, although I think the story could be better told when it was a miniserie. My opnion is that it the movie was too short (140 minutes) to tell the complete story.
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 21914

NessySheep is offline View user's profile Send private message View NessySheep's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:
Daniel Craig is not convincing as Mikael Blomqvist (sorry, Nessy)

Razz Razz Razz
Well i saw the original (swedish) movie and i feel no need to see a remake so soon. That has nothing to do with the point that i like Daniel Craig, i think it just wasn't a good idea to make that movie.

Al & Me just saw the Muppets. Al liked a lot, i thought it was kinda funny. I like the songs in english , but in german it was horrible Rolling Eyes
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A BETTER LIFE

Simple but affecting story about a Mexican gardener and single father struggling to make a better life for himself and his son in L.A. The son has to make some difficult choices about his future, whether to continue associating with his girlfriend's gangster relatives or follow his father's wishes that he succeed and keep out of trouble. Towards the end it gets a little preachy about the need for immigration reform, but up until that point the film is very naturalistic and gripping. Demian Bichir did a remarkable job inhabiting his character and nailed a monologue expressing his love for his son. I can see why he got nominated for an Oscar.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

MONEYBALL

Enjoyed watching this film about Billy Beane, the Oakland A's general manager, and his clashes with the baseball establishment and coach when attempting to use statistics to recruit, sign, and trade players. Brad Pitt definitely anchored the film with Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman, expressing both frustration and exhilaration, but think he was more impressive in past roles.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE FOR THE MONEY

Went to the theater this weekend with my sister-in-law to see this movie based on Janet Evanovich's first Stephanie Plum novel of the same name. It was pretty good! Cute movie about a bounty hunter just getting started at her new job and tracking down an old flame who skipped bail. We both loved how close to the book the movie followed but we were disappointed with the actor they got for the character Ranger. In our minds, Ranger is much more mysterious and frankly, sexy, then the actor they chose. Oh well!

I'd give it a 7/10 stars. Keep in mind (if you do decide to watch it) it's complete fluff, zero substance and just all out fun.
Commander

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE VOW

Saw this with the hubby this weekend for early Valentine's Day. I enjoyed it but I was left wanting more. Both Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams can act - I bawled at The Notebook and Dear John but for some reason this love story (that you think would produce some tears) had me yawning throughout the movie. I just didn't get the chemistry between the two and I was kinda disappointed. We were surrounded by women crying so maybe it was just me that didn't get it.

Since it was based on true events I might check out the book about the original couple and see how that is.
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN, PART I

Okay, between this and my most recent non-soundtrack CD, it's been a pretty Mormon weekend.

As an early Valentine's gift, my husband and I split a bottle of wine and watched this little number. You've already seen it, or you know why you haven't, so I won't bore you with the plot, such as it is. You know, the beginning of the movie isn't that bad. There are human characters, whose scenes have always been the best in this entire mopefest. During the wedding, I think you're actually supposed to laugh with the movie. But then the movie just... keeps... going. I was disappointed a lot, by the sex scene, by the birth scene, by the taunting glimpses of Michael Sheen, whose character I don't even like.

But my husband and I had fun watching it, and yelling at it, and it was way more engaging than the penultimate Harry Potter flick was.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

three new additions on the review front:

THE DESCENDANTS:
Clooney in his Oscar-worthy role as trustee of a beautiful, authentic part of Hawaïi. At a point where he is on the verge of losing everything he and his teen daughters have to make decisions to get their family back on his feet again. Nice political undertone but the book might be more detailed on that part. Hawaiian musicscore is a relief. 7.5/10

WAR HORSE:
Siri's review pretty much described the omission I felt too. Too much a movie for Spielberg's horses-loving daughter, that will certainly satisfy that targeted audience.
John Williams score is OK, and a good entry for the Oscars.

THE MUPPETS:
First let me express I was a huge Muppet-fan. But as the characters are in Disney-hands now, they made a rubbish movie with the Disney-signature to it. Man, sorry, but this was NOT a fun movie. Only a handful of jokes could form a smile on my face.
Add to that the most shabby storyline you can imagine and a cast (incl. cameo's) that could not convince and this movie is exactly why the Muppets will be forgotten (like in the movie). 3/10

UK Slartibafast
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 32482

Slartibafast is offline View user's profile Send private message View Slartibafast's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am   Post subject: SOB ***** Reply with quote

Like you Dutch I am (Still) a big Muppets Fan .....(Even in my Twilight years) and I am sad to hear that the film was a bust , was looking forward to watching it ...but shall still go see anywho's , I suppose the Muppets without Mr Oz are a shadow of their former selves
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Muppets, too, but I'm going to go ahead and say that none of their movies are really that good. The writing has always been fairly loose, not all the jokes hit the mark, and frequently the songs are just okay at best. There's something plodding and B-level about the lot (maybe it's the forced cameos), and I haven't even seen the most recent one. So if you say that one's not very good, it doesn't really tell me anything.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Carp. Some error message I got made me post twice. So what do I have to say...

Oh, what the heck, I'll do it. Been wanting to for a while. Highlight only if my grammar authoritarianism doesn't offend you.

Spoiler:
"Fun" is not an adjective. It's a noun.

Only the nerdiest grammarians agree with me, but that doesn't mean we're not right.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Carp. Some error message I got made me post twice. So what do I have to say...

Oh, what the heck, I'll do it. Been wanting to for a while. Highlight only if my grammar authoritarianism doesn't offend you.

Spoiler:
"Fun" is not an adjective. It's a noun.

Only the nerdiest grammarians agree with me, but that doesn't mean we're not right.

Hmm. Now that you've said it I realize how often I use fun as an adjective. Never thought of it before but you are right! I don't take offense, I actually appreciate the information because I do try to speak and type correctly if I can. Smile
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnaval came inbetween but before those festivities I saw two more movies:

JOURNEY 2; THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND
Didn't see the first 'Journey"-vehicle with Brendan Fraser but good guess it might be just about the same. You take a teen hero, a stepfather who has brains AND muscles and a nice boobed love-interest with a Lara Croft outfit, oh, and don't forget the dumb character to make it funny somewhere, 'cause you got to have a character that messes things up. Mix that with an adventure story combined of Verne's fantasy tales, Atlantis and Gulliver's Travels and you'll end up pretty much here. But only when you know how to fly jumbo-bees and how to quickstart a 140 year old, non-used submarine. Only entertaining for a small group of teenagers or unexperienced movie-goers.

THE DEVIL INSIDE:
Wow! Long time ago since I saw a good horror movie.
If someone has seen "the Blair Witch Project": this one has the same creepyness that gets under your skin because the story is told in the form of a documentary in the making, so the camera is always close to the action.
Story is about a girl who is trying to find out what happened with her mother who is hospitalized by the Vatican after she murdered 3 people during an excorcism performed on her. 8/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 45 of 66

Jump to: