StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA SportsFan800 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by SportsFan800 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I have a right to like and dislike whatever I want. I don't think I deserve to be called names, even if I choose to consider that comparison a compliment.

Instead of just arguing, why not construct an argument? Tell me why you think Brave was so good.

TOPSY-TURVY

Caught this a few weeks ago, and got sucked into it again this afternoon when I was supposed to be taking a nap. My experience with Gilbert and Sullivan is limited. I was in a production of Pirates of Penzance my sophomore year in high school, which was the most dramatic summer I think I've ever had, but I'm not as familiar with The Mikado, the operetta which is the subject of this movie.

Anyway, I think the film takes forever to get going. Most of the scenes in the first hour and change are necessary to establish the history and relationship of G&S, but not all of them. Once Gilbert's wife suggested they go to see the Japanese exhibition at Knightsbrigde, with hindsight being 20/20, I yelled at the screen, "Just go, already!"

Oh, but the movie is such fun once he does get off his tuchus and go to Knightsbridge, which inspired the writing of The Mikado. I love seeing the scenes from the operetta, and all the backstage let's-put-on-a-show made me chuckle, because I feel like I've been in those scenes so many times.

So a lot of fun, especially once you know what's happening and can skip parts of the first hour.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyI - I agree on Brave. Beautiful animation, but the story was 'meh'. Brother Bear meets Freaky Friday. I was terribly disappointed.

I netflixed "SHAME". I liked it. It did move slowly, but it's one of those movies that you, as the watcher, have to infer or assume a lot about what is going on. It doesn't explain everything for you. JERIC didn't like it. I would probably watch it again. I like Michael Fassbender, he plays a truly torn up, confused man who should have some "shame", but doesn't, and probably that's what he's ashamed of.

I saw Magic Mike - it wasn't as fun as I though it would be. Should have been more dancing and less real life. It was supposed to be an escape and got too heavy at times.

BQ
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

The movie was decent entertainment. That's both the best and the worst thing that can be said about it.
IMDb tells me it's 136 minutes long... and it actually feels longer. Would've been nice if they'd devoted somewhat less time to the "I HAVE BECOME SPIDER-MAN, SEE ME LEARN HOW TO CRAWL UP WALLS!!!" stuff.

Spoiler:
Though the short scene where he slams his alarm clock into smoking shards due to his newfound Spiderpowers is priceless. At least it is when you're easily amused, like I am.

Since I never really liked Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst all that much, it's no great surprise that I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone better. But then, everbody except those two would've been an improvement, IMO.
I also enjoyed Rhys Ifans' performance. While the story of how he turned into the bad guy wasn't terribly original, it was at least vaguely moving.
Oh.. and just in case anybody else spent their wondering where the heck they've seen him before... he was Luna Lovegood's father in one of the Harry Potter movies. Wink

All in all, I'd say go and watch it whenever you're in the mood for some light entertainment.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Last week I finally got to saw the conclusion to Christopher Nolan's epic saga of Batman. 2008's The Dark Knight was a memorable sequel to Nolan's first Batman film and was highly acclaimed for Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker which was nothing short of amazing. Flash forward four years later, we are now presented with the final film in Nolan's epic trilogy of the Caped Crusader. The big questions that I had coming into this film was would it exceed all of my expectations and satisfaction as a great Batman film as The Dark Knight was. The answer was a resounding yes!!

I didn't get to see it in IMAX but it didn't really matter because Nolan shot this film beautifully mixed with some amazing action sequences that will leave your jaw dropping to the floor. Add Hans Zimmer's talent and The Dark Knight Rises is an Epic film on all levels. The all around cast was great, from Christian Bale to Tom hardy as Bane, and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman who was one of the better surprises in this movie. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Marion Cotillard are just superb as the supporting cast as well. This film thrives on many things relating back to the previous two installments and also throws out some surprises.

As for the conclusion, well I cant just blab out what happens, but it ends with a bang and satisfies my expectations of how this Batman story should end. I know a lot of people enjoyed The Avengers, including myself, but in terms of depth, characters, and story arc, The Dark Knight Rises far exceeds it in those aspects and would not be a bit surprised to see nominations at the next Academy Awards Cermony, including Best Picture. So with that said, Thank You Mr. Nolan, thank you very much for giving Batman the lift he needed to the big screen! 5 out of 5 stars!!
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE HUNGER GAMES

Rented this from Redbox since I missed it in theaters. I've read the books. I didn't like the sequels very much, but I find myself returning to the first book on my Kindle when I'm bored. It's like that movie that was okay, but it's always on TV, so you wind up watching it like 20 times. Anyway, the movie.

I think the second half, once the main character gets into the arena, was better than the first. The first half felt like a PowerPoint presentation: a lot of short scenes to dump a lot of data on the audience. *Slide* Here we see that Katniss can hunt. *Slide* Here we see that there is a giant parade, and her costume is on fire. *Slide* Here we see she's wearing a new red dress.

The second half is better. I liked using Stanley Tucci's character (the heck was his name?) in sportscaster mode with Claudius Templesmith, as it gave information to the audience that, in the books, we just gleaned from Katniss's head. I liked seeing the Gamemaker control room, but then, control rooms in movies like this always tickle me. I liked seeing Haymitch schmooze sponsors. A lot of those details were nice.

Overall, it was okay. I don't feel the need to see the movie again, and I'm not holding my breath for the sequels.
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 10788

fullmoonfever is offline View user's profile Send private message fullmoonfever's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:35 am   Post subject: Hell on Wheels Reply with quote

Just finished watching Season one of Hell on Wheels (on AMC) I am not much of a western show watcher, I liked , Bonanza and the third Back to the Future but the Big Valley and others were just ok.
Hell on wheels is gritty, pretty intense violence, no denying, but the story is great. Love the music. Available on iTunes.
Maybe it's the fact that it's broadcasted on HD...photography is amazing.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
The first half felt like a PowerPoint presentation: a lot of short scenes to dump a lot of data on the audience. *Slide* Here we see that Katniss can hunt. *Slide* Here we see that there is a giant parade, and her costume is on fire. *Slide* Here we see she's wearing a new red dress.

Overall, it was okay. I don't feel the need to see the movie again, and I'm not holding my breath for the sequels.

Although LadyI makes this remark on the Hunger Games, I think she has a point that inflicts IMHO on the majority of Hollywood Blockbusters.
I feel it is not about telling a story (right) but how can we come to the actionscenes with explosions and sfx the quickest way possible.

I saw Total Recall and The Dark Knight Rises yesterday and they were
not an exception tp that rule.
It's -meh- entertaining and luckilly Total Recall was, as also stated by Paul Verhoeven, the director of the original, far,far off the original idea.
But of course a short story upon it is based gives that possibility.
I liked Total Recall better than TDKR because the storyline drew me more to attention. The fact that it was more SF/fantasy gave room to a much better Art Production than the idiocracy to let New York dub for Gotham City. I think that was really taking a wrong move.
I had more time with TDKR to listen to Zimmer's industrial score but it didn't stand out to me, alhough the non-action scenes had a nice themeline.
Total Recall score was haunting and electric so not my cup of tea, albeit that it fitted the movie but was sometimes disattracting in the scenes.

Total Recall: 6,5/10
The Dark Knight Rises: 5/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LE FILS DE L'ÉPICIER:
Small but well received French movie which tells the story of a young man who is forced back to his roots to help his mother run their grocery store now his father suffered a heartattack.
Bringing a collegegirl and loveinterest with him sets thing in progress in the old Southern Rhone area.
Underlaying theme is the flow of young people out of the countryside. 6,5/10
Score by Christophe Boutin.

TO ROME WITH LOVE:
After his movies of Barcelona and Paris Woody Allen now turns to Rome with an ode that would even embarras the Italian Bureau of Tourism.
Luckilly he plays a role himself again this time.
(As he plays another neurotic, he merely plays himself Smile )
The soundtrack is again made of source music perfectly fitting to the movie atmosphere (like in Vicky,Christina,Barcelona)
The movie has different storylines with new and old stars contributing to Allen's view on Italian Culture and behaviour. I think the part of Alec Baldwin was not the best but most others are nice, what make it a funny Allen again. Roberto Begnini's story is Allen's look on reality-TV .
7/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The original and brillant post written by LadyInque was accidentally erased by a mod who won't say his name cause he's ashamed and becoming red behind his beak.

Here's the summary:
LadyInque finds that Dutchbat is harsch on his judgement about The Dark Kngiht Rises, even from someone without any entusiasm with the whole franchise.

She then talks about Jean de Florette, that she has seen recently and describes the plot with her unique style. Next week, she'll see the sequel Manon des Sources.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Next weekend we'll watch the sequel, in which Manon is gonna Kill Bill. More or less.

Wow, ladyInque! I never thought of making the parallel between Manon des Sources and Kill Bill. Laughing
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks to the unnamed moderator who accidentally deleted my post. While I'm disappointed to have lost what I wrote, 'cause I can't remember it well enough to recreate it, I'm tickled by the recap provided by unnamed moderator. May he hold that beak high.

But I will say that I didn't think Dutch was harsh, but hardcore. The difference? Harsh implies "unfair." I kinda agreed with him and admired his willingness to give the film a negative review, since I have not yet found the courage to post what I thought of it.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

BATTLESHIP

The movie wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be, although I really don't understand why they thought they needed to license the game from Hasbro. Somehow the concept of two sets of ships having difficulties hitting each other because they can't see their opponent doesn't seem licensing-worthy. *shrug*

You can forget the story... what there is of it. The recipe is like this:
    One big heap of unfriendly aliens who blow stuff up
    One smaller heap of brave Navy personnel who also blow stuff up
    One tiny semi-romantic subplot
    Lots and lots of EXPLOSIONS!!!!!
If you like explosions as much as I do, the movie might appeal to you, because the effects aren't bad at all.
The look of the alien tech reminded me a little of Decepticons from the Transformers movies, but maybe that's just me.

All in all it's not the worst movie I've watched this year. It goes well with a large bucket of popcorn. Wink
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
But I will say that I didn't think Dutch was harsh, but hardcore. The difference? Harsh implies "unfair." I kinda agreed with him and admired his willingness to give the film a negative review, since I have not yet found the courage to post what I thought of it.

Of course all my reviews are from my own (humble) point of view regardless of the excitement that occurs when a new blockbuster-to-be is released.
And according to a large number of professional critics I was not far off with my criticism.
I do have to state that LadyI's remark of me not being a fan of the Batman-franchise is not true.
I liked the Batman TV-series for which I stayed at home in my teens, loved the very first movie (Nelson Riddle score !!) and the first two of the Batman movies were OK to me too.
Batman forever started to raise my eyebrows.
Then loved "Batman begins" again but had my doubts (albeit not hardcore critics) with the "Dark Night" which had a mild review as you can read
in previous posts. (loved the "Joker" by Ledger)
The fact that this new DKR is merely over the top action instead of an authentic, comic-based Batman, has fueled my criticism.
But unfortunately, as stated in my remark on LadyI's Hunger Games review, that seems to be the new way to please large crowds. Hence: not me.
So I really would like to read LadyI's comment on TDKR.

But let's stick to this topic's original idea:
* THE FIXER (1968)
A classic movie about a jewish handyman who roams the russian/ukranian
areas and is being falsely sentenced for a crime he did not commit.
Even the tortures and bad treatments can't make him confess.
Alan Bates playing the leadrole, a young Ian Holm doing a nice part as well. Score by Maurice Jarre. Reasonable good movie merely by the direction (Frankenheimer) and good character acting.
7/10

*SHAFT
Another classic, especially the score by Isaac Hayes.
Crimi by mainly black cast. Shaft being a detective with his own way of
handling and dealing with things.
7/10

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:

*SHAFT
Another classic, especially the score by Isaac Hayes.

Well, then I suppose it will be a good news for you Dutch: I've just sent that score to JERIC couple of days ago.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 49 of 66

Jump to: