StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, I would have given Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit 10/10... Razz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Avengers (2000) 72min

I saw this: On basic cable (YTV)
I didn't mean to watch this, I mean, I was actually expecting to catch another episode of Inuyasha. I guess it was some kind of Labour Day weekend surprise of some sort. For those of you unfamiliar with these superheroes, Ultimate Avengers is based upon the Marvel Comics series The Ultimates, where a group of superheroes is brought together by Nick Fury (who is meant to look and act like Samuel L. Jackson, and NOT David Hasselhoff). After being based upon a comic book series, it deviates heavily - The Ultimates was meant to be a tad more mature in theme than what readers of the regular Marvel universe were accustomed to. Not enough adult situations. It would seem that this work is aimed at a younger audience, but then it seems certain scenes are a little more violent than what you'd want to expose young children to. The dialogue is sporadically witty, the artwork could have stood to be more elaborate. Nonetheless it was entertaining for an hour an a half (as there were the commercials), but it made me wish I was 12 years old for that brief period to enjoy it a bit more. For Marvel fans, it's an interesting slight turn to much beloved characters, but if you want to appreciate a much better story in full flavour, try reading The Ultimates. That's right. Making sense of the words inside the thought and speech bubbles still counts as reading. Call it "No Comic Fan Left Behind."

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bukowksi: Born Into This (2003)

This is an interesting portrait of an American artist, Charles Bukowski, underground poet and novelist who became a cult figure late in his career. His life was a difficult one: beaten by his father as a child, disfigured by acne during his youth, drifting aimlessly through Amercian towns in seedy motels and flophouses, struggling with his own demons and hardwon gains. His ultimate growth and stature as artist is a surprising and unlikely one, yet he is reknown as being a voice for the everyman. He hated Walt Disney's America, and there is a funny scene when New York Quarterly editor William Packard tells everything that is wrong with Mickey Mouse. The film shows archival footage and old and recent interviews with Bukowski and those who knew him, to try and deconstruct the man from the artist and the myth. Not having heard of him or any of his work before seeing this documentary, my impression is that while he may have been a boorish, difficult, hard-drinking womaniser, there are enough glimpses of his gentler side to suggest here was a very complex man. I love his response to an interview question about the definition of love: "Love is the morning fog that burns away, quickly". There are other moments of eloquence and wisdom spoken throughout the film that show his intelligence and sensitivity, though he may have been hard to like. He reminds me of Ernest Hemingway: a rugged, masculine rogue from a bygone era who played and worked hard and whose art is infused with the places and times he lived in. The poems used in the documentary, with words written on the screen and read by Bukowski in a slow, resonant voice, are powerful. It is interesting that Bukowski said that being beaten was a good experience for a writer because it taught him to tell the truth. One particular poem, Bluebird, offers a glimpse of the man behind the myth. 7/10

BLUEBIRD
there’s a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I’m too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I’m not going
to let anybody see
you.
wants to get out
but I pour whiskey on him and inhale
cigarette smoke
and the whores and the bartenders
and the grocery clerks
never know that
he’s
in there.
wants to get out
but I’m too tough for him,
I say,
stay down, do you want to mess
me up?
you want to screw up the
works?
you want to blow my book sales in
Europe?
wants to get out
but I’m too clever, I only let him out
at night sometimes
when everybody’s asleep.
I say, I know that you’re there,
so don’t be
sad.
then I put him back,
but he’s singing a little
in there, I haven’t quite let him
die
and we sleep together like
that
with our
secret pact
and it’s nice enough to
make a man
weep, but I don’t
weep, do
you?

Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I just wached RV. It was about what I expected, a light fun comedy. As with most "family" movies today it drifted a bit toward toilet humor. Certainly not an award winner or a movie to exercise your brain, of course, but also not a movie that made me think "There's two hours of my life wasted" either.

jeff
sgd
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to see The Illusionist! It was a fantastic movie, very well scripted. The illusions are amazing to watch, and the cast did a phenominal job. The music is by Phillip Glass, which is a bit lacking in my book. If you see this movie in your area, you should take the time to see this film. You won't be disappointed.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight Below (2006) 120 min

I saw this: on DVD

I wonder if AK-Mal_Owner has seen this. Anyhow, what can I say? I like dogs. Woof woof woof. I also like seeing people that I can relate to beat unsurmountable odds and survive despite the misgivings of others. In this movie, the people happen to be dogs. Woof.

It's a Disney movie, but a pleasant one at that. It's good for the kids, but be warned it's the better part of thrilling, more than the usual nature film fare. It keeps a decent pace but might seem a bit lengthy for this sort at 2 hours. It's a good amount of time to realize the struggle between life and death from the point of view of dogs. Woof woof woof.

One question: Why did Paul Walker have to talk so much in this movie? I mean, read, but don't SOUND like you're reading. Might as well have Vin Diesel in that role...

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera Drake (2004)

Living in London in 1950, Vera Drake is a loving wife and devoted mother, volunteering her time to care for relatives and neighbours, while working as a cleaner in the houses of upper middle class families. Her life is busy, but she is tireless, and retains a cheerful, rosy outlook. Unbeknownst to her family and friends, Vera also visits women to help them induce miscarriages for unwanted pregnancies. Abortion in England at the time was illegal, and when one of her patients becomes ill, the police soon learn of her clandestine activites and her secret is revealed. This is the first Mike Leigh film I have seen, but I know he has a reputation for showing his hatred for the middle class in his films. There is a slight intimation of that here: Vera Drake's altruism borders on saintliness. However, this would serve the film an injustice. It is a well-structured, nuanced look at a difficult subject, and people are shown to be capable of cruelty and kindness on both sides of the class divide. What really impresses though is the production design and impeccable cast, particularly Imelda Staunton as Vera (who received an Oscar nomination) and Phil Davis as her husband. These elements ground the film in a gritty reality and I was moved by the plight of this kind-hearted, selfless woman. 8/10
Commander

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wicker Man - I went to this with high expectations given that I love Nic Cage. This movie was a huge disappointment. It starts off slow and it drags most of the movie, and it's so blatently predictable. The acting in it has a lot to be desired, even from Nic Confused . I can't compare it to the original, but all I can say is save your money and wait for this to be on TV.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fearless - This film tells the story of Chinese Martial Arts Master Huo Yuanjia (1869-1910). Huo Yuanjia was the founder and spiritual guru of the Jin Wu Sports Federation. Jet Li does a phenominal job in this film, and sadly as the previews have said, this is his last epic martial arts film. I'm sure this will not be the last we'll see of him. If you get an opportunity to see this, I should warn you it is in subtitles (I know that is a turn-off for some people), but the film is definently worth the money we spent!
Cadet 3

Member#: 15739

ninja_otter is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ninja_otter's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This past week I had to watch Days of Heaven for film class.

Visually, I thought it was well done. Some weird fade-out editing in some places, but most of it was gorgeous to look at. I just wish I had the same respect for the plot (or lack thereof). Things dragged a lot and there was a bunch of seemingly random stuff thrown in - like the shot of the garden gnome... what? It was only a 90-minute-or-so movie, but it felt like three hours. I almost fell asleep two seperate times, and didn't care about any of the main characters. Only person I felt any sympathy for was the farmer, and he was technically the antagonist.

I'm sure this would be better on a rewatch, but I don't think I have the stomach to risk it.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja_otter wrote:
I'm sure this would be better on a rewatch, but I don't think I have the stomach to risk it.

Welcome, Ninja_Otter! Glad you found SST. Is your major Film, or is this just a fun course you're taking?

LOL! I like your choice of words... "had to watch..."

No doubt 99.9% of the people who have seen this movie would agree with you on every point. It was front page news during filming, and a box office disaster in 1978 when it was finally released.

All I can say in its defense is:
1) If you are a student filmmaker, this is a must-see movie if not just for the cinematography alone. Its desaturaed, sepia tones fill the screen like a huge painting - and transport you to another place and another time.

2) Even though the score is by Ennio Morricone with incidental music from Doug Kershaw and Leo Kottke, it is the music of Camille Saint-Saens' "The Aquarium" from Carnival of the Animals that will haunt you long afterwards.
USA ninja_otter
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

ninja_otter is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ninja_otter's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My major is actually Animation, but that requires some film classes. For this one, we watch a film every week, and each week has a theme/concept the movie exemplifies - this week was "tragedy." (The Iron Giant was last week - just simple linear structure. MAN, I love that movie.)

And I agree - just about every frame would look good by itself. A little faster pace (or maybe a bit more plot substance) would have made the film easier to watch overall.

I like "The Aquarium" music, and felt geeky because I knew what it was called. Great song.

I adore movie scores, so when I found this site... I couldn't ignore it. Smile
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question and then I'll stop derailing this topic...
Ninja, which mountaintop are you high on?
USA ninja_otter
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasatch Front. Very Happy Not technically on the mountain, but whatever.

And to prevent off-topicness... I'll add that Iron Giant is the perfect example of a not-just-for-kids animated movie, when arguing with someone who thinks animation = kiddie fodder. It doesn't insult your intelligence, nor does it rely on innuendo to make it "adult-friendly." And that's ignoring the gorgeous animation.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, ninja_otter!

I do like Iron Giant very much as well, much more than the Incredibles to be honest Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 7 of 66

Jump to: