StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it could be boring but I watched:
COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Yep, with Schwarzenegger, nuff said
3/10

But straight after that a french arthouse movie started on another channel:
LA GRAINE ET LE MULET
It tells the story of the struggle of a first generation of immigrant in a southern France harbourtown who gets fired at age 61.
As he desires to have a restaurant once he and his daughters start on a dramatic quest for hapiness.
6.5/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

Grown-up movie. Owen Wilson plays a writer on vacation in Paris with his obnoxious fiancée (wow, we never get tired of that trope, do we) and her parents. He wishes he could live in Paris during the 20s, and magically he is whisked back in time every night to party with Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds. I watched this because it got good reviews, but in the end, it didn't really do it for me. And after The Dark Knight Rises I just can't trust Marion Cotillard.

THE BIBLE
This is a 5-part miniseries that tries to cram most of the Bible into 10 hours' television. To give you an idea of how well that works, imagine going from Adam and Eve to Exodus in one two-hour episode. It's not good. It's popular, but that's not the same thing. Basically, this is a movie that could have been made 40 years ago: lots of white people dressed up in blankets and funny accents. The special effects are the best 1997 has to offer. Just obvious and boring and there's no clear thesis. And while I know that there aren't that many female characters in the Bible, this movie seems to be going out of its way to include as few as possible, and cut them all from the same cloth. Enough of Delilah, where's Deborah?
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

After being locked up in the office for two weeks I found a way into the cinema again:

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK:
Entertaining movie about an easy-tempered guy who comes out of psychic treatment (a tad to early) to live by his parents again. plot mixes him up with a young troubleminded widow to get structure back into their lives. Elfman's score is overwhelmed by temp tracks.
7/10

MOVIE 43
Use as many classy actors as you can get, ask several directors to make a goofy plot and let them do things they never would be allowed by their producers. Put it on celluloid and see what happens.
Funny part is that it sometimes is actually funny, what can't be said about regular comedies with the same actors/directors.
The fun of making this mix-up pays off.
6.5/10

BROKEN CITY:
Average thriller co-produced by lead actor Mark Wahlberg. Cop-turned-P.I. is hired by mayor for alleged adultry of his wife. Proof of it turns out to make more damage than predicted.
Various and sometimes outstanding score by Atticus Ross.
6.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CROODS 3D
Taking the jokes of the Ice Age series one step further but the rest is merely the same. Fantasyworld and creatures give ground for 3D-animation but has been done already too much. Thin storyline and not entirely convincing score by Silvestri.
5/10

HANSEL & GRETEL; WITCH HUNTERS 3D
Ultrathin storyline based on the fairytale gives way for over the top fighting scenes and SFX. Good to see Famke Janssen again on screen but helas in a disappointing role.
Score from the Zimmer Factory by Atli Örvarsson.
3/10

USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS 40

Hubby and I have been wanting to watch this movie for awhile and we splurged on the Unedited version Wink

It was funny but not as funny as we expected it to be. The best part was the couple - they were so realistic in the way they raised their family and interacted with each other. I'd give it a 7/10 only because the humor was at times lacking - or maybe just not my kind of humor.
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

PROMETHEUS

I wanted to see this when it came out. I have no idea why. Some people really liked this movie, but I don't think it was very good. It's so obviously a prequel to Alien, and in fact it sometimes seems almost like a remake, except with more phony sci-fi theology thrown in. Nothing I hadn't seen before, plot beats I totally saw coming, and some really gross scary stuff that I didn't need to see. (I'm aware of the logical inconsistency in that sentence, so don't bother pointing it out.) Sigh. At least I had a discount at Redbox for it.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS
The 2010 version with Jack Black, and that pretty much covers it all. Sometimes funny but merely over the top script to the personage of Jack Black.
Score by Jackman (what gave the reason to watch it)
5.5/10

USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ZERO DARK THIRTY

The hubby and I watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. I know it was based on real events (duh) but I also know some of it was fiction. However, I really enjoyed the main character and how involved and dedicated she became to this mission. The director did a wonderful job telling this story and I even had a few tears at the end just imagining the joy and feeling of accomplishment all those involved felt.

Again, I know its not all fact but I still feel it is a great movie for the history of the war.
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched two (well, one and a half) pilots that didn't in any way sell me on the series they represent. The first is SyFy's Defiance, which was just compiled from cliches, had an unconvincing (and unexplained) short battle at its climax, and mostly reminded me of Firefly. Some will agree with the last point, calling Defiance an inferior copy. But I hated Firefly, so it's a wash for me.

The other pilot was Starz's Da Vinci's Demons. Young Da Vinci does... something... okay, honestly, I fell asleep halfway through. I considered rewatching it from where I left off, and then just said the heck with it. It's off my DVR. Nothing interesting or exciting, unless you think gratuitous middle-aged dudity counts as either. Feh.

On another note, as most of us know, Roger Ebert died last week. This has hit me kind of hard. I didn't know him personally, but he was the one critic I've been reading with any regularity for many years. Every time a new film came out, I would head to Ebert's page on Friday (or Thursday, if I just couldn't wait) to get his take on it. I'm about to do that now, where I'll read what is probably the last new Ebert review ever. Sigh. I miss that guy.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it has been a while again: Are you ready?

ALEXANDER
The huge production about the legendary Macedonian king with the beautiful score by Vangelis.
And latter is the only reason you should watch it.
Poorly directed and alleged gayness of Alexander is way overdone in movie.
5.5/10 for the music mainly

SAFE HAVEN
The new movie by Lasse Halström (Cider house rules). Nice acting and story line about young blonde on the run and finding a shelter and a new love in small coastal village. But the past can not be outrun. Nice twist in the end. Based on the book (and produced by) Nicholas Sparks.
Nice score too.
7.5/10

STOKER
Now this was a weird but helas unsatisfactory movie. Lead character meets her uncle Charlie just after her father died in a mysterious car accident.
They turn out to have a shared but morbid hobby.
6/10

On tuesday I saw three movies which somehow all had to do with foriegn occupation.

APP
A Dutch thriller and world's first movie with a second screen, namely your smartphone.
New technique allows you to run an app, simultaneously with the movie, which shows you extra information, second cameraposition or the textmessages send in the movie.
A nice gadget that is not at all too disturbing but not adds that much, but not bad for a first.
Story is about a girl who finds a strange app installed on her cellphone after a party at her ex's place. This app is starting to change her life, endangers her friend's and brother's life and is not exactly willing to leave easily.
8/10

OBLIVION:
I was warned, Cruise was playing, but it actually wasn't too bad. Entertaining SciFi movie about earth destroyed during a battle with invaders. When Jack Harper discovers surviving humans and his memories are revealing more of his past the story gets a different perspective.
7/10

THE HOST
This time more succesful invaders have placed their 'souls' in remaining humans. If one of this 'souls' gets implanted in a rebellous girl the struggle from inside begins. Kinda schizofrenic movie with the lead character playing and doing the overdubbed voice of the 'human' girl.
Nice score by Antonio Pinto.
7,5/10

UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:

THE HOST
This time more succesful invaders have placed their 'souls' in remaining humans. If one of this 'souls' gets implanted in a rebellous girl the struggle from inside begins. Kinda schizofrenic movie with the lead character playing and doing the overdubbed voice of the 'human' girl.
Nice score by Antonio Pinto.
7,5/10

Off topic but have you read the book, Dutch? If so, which did you prefer? I really enjoyed the book.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOK OF MORMON

I finally got to see this, via the touring company in Boston, and I loved it! I think this is a really excellent show, and much deeper than some people may think. (Or maybe I just take it too seriously. Wouldn't be the first time.) I got to hear all my favorite songs done by a great cast. I even preferred the Elder Cunningham I saw to the one on the Broadway cast recording. Though I do think there is one joke in the second act that is in really questionable taste. Given the irreverent, even offensive, nature of some of the stuff in the show, I guess that sounds weird, but almost all the other stuff was funny, and this was just... too far. Anyway. Great show, had a fabulous time. I'll leave you with an animatic someone did of one of the best tunes.

Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

THOR
Patrick Doyle scored this SFX mythical story without any pretention to tell a decent story. Even Portman and Hopkins failed due to bad directing (?)
Wellshaped body of lead character (didn't even get his name, says nuff) is only positive thing I could come up with.
3/10

DAS WEISSE BAND
Oscar nominated (and won?) foreign language movie from Michael Haneke (Amour) tells story about the strange things that happen in pre-WW1 German village where youngsters stand up against the twisted moral of the elders and the narrowminded bourgeoisie in that period.
7.5/10

HER NAME WAS SARAH
Read the book and therefore the movie disappointed somewhat, although it still was well directed and played. But the depth of the story had been left on the cutting room floor.
7/10

USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend Mr. ZG and I watched

THE HOBBIT
Really enjoyed this! I'm ashamed to admit I've never read the book (Or LoTR Sad) but I plan to! I was worried I would be bored during this movie because it was long and I don't remember loving LoTR but I actually loved the Hobbit! It was funny, action packed, and moved at a great pace. About 10 minutes before the end I looked at Mr. ZG and said - "Geez will they ever make it to the mountain?!" and he had the pleasure of reminding me it was a 3 part movie. Pissed and devastated were the two emotions I immediately felt ha! Needless to say, I can't wait for the next installment.

We also watched

GUILT TRIP
This was pretty funny - but not great. Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand. It was an enjoyable movie to watch while you do something else. Only $1.50 from Redbox so I'm not complaining too much but definitely wouldn't buy it.
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once made to feel guilty by a high school teacher for not reading The Hobbit or LOTR. "You are a poseur in the world of fantasy!" he said to me. Really, he did. (Of course, the word should be poseuse.)

So ten years ago I picked up a movie-tie-in copy of LOTR and got halfway through The Return of the King before I quit, skimmed to the end and the appendices, and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I love the story. But the writing puts me in a coma.

Same thing with The Hobbit, through which I dutifully slogged last summer to get a medal from the public library. It was even more dull than LOTR, and I'm glad it's over.

My point, zgurl, is that you don't have to have read the books to enjoy the stories, and maybe the movies. I haven't seen The Hobbit because, well, the book was uninteresting to me on a plot level, and I kinda want to punish the filmmakers for turning that puff piece into a trilogy by withholding 10 dollars from them. Petty, I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 52 of 66

Jump to: