StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got The Hobbit for my birthday and watched it also yesterday.
To answer ladyInque's interrogation about making a trilogy about this single book : they took lot of stories who aren't on the book, or only suggested, to : first have enough materials, but also make it a direct link with the Lord of the rings (which isn't the case in the book).
I find it a very good movie, even if they sometimes go too much into the epic thing. There are also too much similarities with the fellowship of the rings in the way of filming.
But I enjoyed it very much and my wife had the same reaction than zgurl in the end.
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:

Off topic but have you read the book, Dutch? If so, which did you prefer? I really enjoyed the book.

No haven't read the book, but the movie was OK.

During busy workweeks I just saw a little open spot on the agenda while I was in Rotterdam and I could see:

YOKO
As Klaus Badelt's protégé Mark Anthony Jaeger scored this youth movie,
I still was interested in this picture.
Story is about a girl who has lost her father and a Yeti, who turns out to be
very friendly but can't stand the heat. So when the yeti ends up in the States, of course, the girl must save him/her.
Score was even better with the movie. 7/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

masked_platypus wrote:
To answer ladyInque's interrogation

Interrogation? I'm gonna assume that was the wrong word. I was skeptical when the Hobbit was going to be two films. Three sounds like an out-and-out cash grab. So I still feel like punishing them in my own, petty, fashion.

My husband and I watched our first Blu-Ray yesternight. It was an edited-together version of "The Best of Both Worlds," one of the best episodes Star Trek: The Next Generation had to offer.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Interrogation? I'm gonna assume that was the wrong word.

You know the words better than me, mylady *bows*
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

This weekend my husband and I watched Underworld: Awakening. This is the 4th film in the Underworld series, and as such is posed as something of a reboot. New world, new enemy, same chick in impractical leather, and I think the series finally no longer takes place in a thinly-disguised Hungary, which is a shame.

The movie is a sodden mess. So much telling, not showing. So much plot happening in dialogue, not action. Some emotional stuff that could have been pretty potent, even wrenching, but nobody seemed to think it through. And at the core we have the perennial problem: the heroine shows no emotion other than steely resolve. She's not fun. She's never sad. Or happy. She's like Batman without any comic relief. I get the feeling that women leads in action movies take themselves so seriously lest anyone NOT take them seriously.

There are some real B, B+ actors in this movie. But don't bother to see it. Its only virtue is that it's short.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TRON

I saw the sequel to this movie first, and hated it. Having seen the original, I still think the sequel is mindless and pointless. BUT! I do kinda like the original movie. As my husband said, it was forced by the technology of the time to do some things much more creatively. The whole virtual reality world is, as a result, more interesting. It's not a great movie. It's very much 1980s Disney sci-fi. But there's nothing wrong with that. I do have to ask... was David Warner EVER young?

THE MUPPETS
This was the movie from 2011 that sought to revive the Muppets for a generation that has never heard of them. Again I shall risk being "that guy" and say that the Muppets were never THAT good to begin with. I have some fond memories of them, to be sure, but it's not like their movies were perfect. Too often they featured limp songs and lame plotting. Something just aggressively B-movie about the whole enterprise. Maybe I'm just old and bitter.

This movie is interesting in that human characters, not muppets, are the real focus of the plot. But the songs are still just okay. And Frank Oz isn't a part of this production, which makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place. Some funny lines, though.
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first day of weekend this week (that's tuesday in this case) I ended up in the cinema for watching:

AFTER EARTH:
Another Smith family ego-trip. I wonder why companies allow them to do so, after Karate Kid (remake) it was already known that Jaden Smith can't act. it's not necessarily in the genes.
This movie was about the father-son relation based around a very, very thin scifi storyline.
Will Smith had better made a homeshot movie and kept it for himself.
3/10

DE ROUILLE ET D'OS:
Belgian entry for the Oscar for Foreign Language, won lots of prizes and was nominated 2x for Golden Globe. US title: Rust and bones.
It's the latest Jacques Audiard movie (and therefore music by Alexandre Desplat) about a lowlife that has to rebuild his life for him and his 5y old son. Marion Cotillard (Dark Knight rises) plays counterpart who, by means of a severe accident loses her legs, but builds up a relationship with the hard shelled lead character.
Amazing directing and production by using stand ins and CGA to replace the legs with prosthetics (like in Forrest Gump but much more sophisticated.)
8.5/10

TRANCE:
New Danny Boyle movie about a set up art theft. But the painting turns out to be missing and the only one who knows where it could be has sudden amnesia. A therapist is forced to get his memory back by hypnosis.
Sometimes confusing plot is not helped by fast and shaky style of editing.
6.5/10

Last edited by Dutchbat on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:

AFTER EARTH:
Another Smith family ego-trip. I wonder why companies allow them to do so, after Karate Kid (remake) it was already known that Jaden Smith can't act. it's not necessarily in the genes.
This movie was about the father-son relation based around a very, very thin scifi storyline.
Will Smith had better made a homeshot movie and kept it for himself.
5/10

I'm just wondering. With such a bad review, you still give 5 to this movie. How bad should it be to have a 2?
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

MP you were right, 5/10 was too high a rating for that vehicle, I adjusted it to 3/10 merely for the music by James Newton Howard that had some interested tracks at the end. and the sometimes laughable scenes.

Picked two movies on TV:

KNIGHT AND DAY:
Diaz and Cruise in a movie that holds between an actionmovie and a bad
spoof of its own, mainly because they probably had no clue what to do with this dumb storyline. If you can't handle it (or the director can't) just make a laugh about it. John Powell's music score is nice but strangely not fitting the scenes, perhaps due to above mentioned.
Hilaric Diaz could sometimes raise a grin on my face.
5/10 Listened to Powell's score as stand alone and liked it better that way.

PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID
Classic Coburn portrait of Pat Garrett, the sheriiff who shot Billy the Kid (Kris Kristofferson). Although filmed as all classic western from the '70's
it gave enough space for Coburn to excell. Film also became known by the fact that Bob Dylan wrote the score and songs (Knockin' on heaven's door) who had a small part as well.
7/10
fun fact: one of the editors was Roger Spottiswoode who now is a celebrated director.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS

This is an Aardman (Wallace and Grommit) movie about, well, Pirates. Pirate Captain wants to win the Pirate of the Year trophy, and with his luxuriant beard and loyal crew, how could he lose? Also, Charles Darwin. I watched this movie because why not, and was charmed and entertained throughout. I recommend it. The voice cast is excellent.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Lady, as I'm still struggling through Darwin's
"Origin of species" I really am interested to see the movie and find out more about his life and travels.

I saw just one movie in the period since my last posting. (Had SST obligations in Spain Wink )

1408:
Not very satisfying thriller about an author (J.Cusack) who writes about haunted mansions and hotelrooms ends up in room 1408 of the Dolphin Hotel in New York which, according to the manager (L.Jackson) is a killing room. There the room starts to confront him with his own past driving him insane. Telling more would mean spoilers. Music by Gabriel Yared which I will need to listen to separately since it was not very prominent present in the movie.
5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dutch NHS has given advise to avoid going out in the heat. OK, cinema is cool

THE INTERNSHIP:
A Google ad made (and played) by Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Quick running gags in a predictable storyline. Movie was made to point out the different sights by generations towards the IT era.
Vaughn and Wilson play two fired salesman with hardly any education who aply for an internship at Google.
Because the thingsVaughn wanted to tell came out in the movie well it's a 6/10 for me.

ET SI ON VIVAIT TOUS ENSEMBLE
French movie starring Geraldine Chaplin and Jane Fonda in the women leads. 5 friends decide to live together to avoid ending up in an elderly home.
This gave the benefits of being with each other but also made it hard to keep their secrets.
8/10 Music by young french composer Jean Philippe Verdin. Beautiful movie, US title: All together

NOW YOU SEE ME
Brian Tyler scored movie (good score) in this entertaining 'perfect crime' movie.
4 illusionist are working together bringing spectacular shows in which they rob a bank or steal from rich people to give it to the audience.
Due to the fact that it is also action- and effects packed it has quite some movie mistakes in it but you start realising that only after the movie.
Finally some good Hollywood entertainment.
7.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday Gf and I went to a screening from the local filmclub:

THE BROKEN CIRCLE BREAKDOWN:
Belgian competitor for the Oscars, emotional drama which won't let you unmoved in the end.
Bluegrass singer and tattoo artist find each other through bluegrass music (great score, pity we can't have it on SST for some foggy reason)
Their daughter dies from leukemia at age 6. And then the struggle to overcome that drama also inflicts their relation.
8.5/10

for the people who were in Gent last year at the World Soundtrack Awards: This was the movie about the bluegrass group that performed on stage that night.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday we (Gf and I) saw the new movie directed by Billy Bob Thornton:

"Jayne Mansfield's Car" is about the ever returning conflict of generations with 4 children and a father, who has never overcome the splitting with his wife. Great role by Robert Duvall amongst other great actors incl. Billy Bob Thornton himself. Relationships are being exposed when the re-married wife dies and her British husband and children come to burry her in the USA.
Situated in the late '60's adds to the production and way of thinking from that period. Tipped if you want to see a non-action and sfx.packed Hollywood movie that is good.
7.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching up:

SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN:
I had seen no trailers or read anything about it, only knowing about it's existence through the Marianelli score we have on SST.
Reason enough to see it in a re-run in cinema two cities furter away.
Bit of a fantastic story that comes away with it through good direction and acting. Only mishap is the role of Kirsten Scott-Thomas who was overacting too much.
7/10

BLANCANIEVES:
Made in the way "the Artist" was done, so in razorsharp black and white and no dialogue.
This made the music of Alfonso de Vilallonga, whom I met in Tenerife, even more important to carry the movie. And successfully: 10 Goya's (Spanish Oscars) and the Critics Award for the score.
Latter will be donated to SST asap.
Modern version of the Snowwhite drama set in pre-war Spain.
8/10

PACIFIC RIM (IMAX 3D):
The new Guillermo del Toro movie and that's probably the rescue. Action and sfx packed "Transformers vs. Giga Godzillas" who resemble a lot the creature from "Pan's Labyrint" Smile
In IMAX screening it's really overwhelming what is I think necessary for the movie.
Ramin Djawadi's score is at least even so good as the one he wrote for: Clash of the Titans
7/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 53 of 66

Jump to: