StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had time for 1 movie this week:
I picked the last screening of " the Drop" as I was curious to see the Belgian director Michaël Roskam doing an American movie after his Oscar nominated Belgian debut ' Rundskop' and because it's the last movie starring James Gandolfini.

Based on the short story " Animal Rescue" it is a beautiful, tension building story of a low profiled bartender (great Hardy) in Brooklyn that is drawn into shimmy money laundering by means of rescuing a beaten dog from a weirdo (brilliant Schoenaerts) and his uncle (Gandolfini)
Marco Beltrami did a professional job in scoring this great crime drama.
8/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:06 am   Post subject: Stardust (2007) Reply with quote

I agree with dutch on the last one. Hardy was great in the drop.

My movie of the Weekend was Stardust:

Why? Because of the wonderful DeNiro gif Ola and Nath keep using:
http://media.giphy.com/media/kzG46XI2CTfoc/giphy.gif

Plot: Fairytale. You know the Stuff. Chasing stars, witches, magic, unicorns, true love.

My impression: I am quite sure, that opinions about this movie vary. I personally quite liked it because it was exactly the kind of humor i needed on a friday evening. The Story had a few plotholes that i was disinclined to overlook by saying "magic" and I won't nominate the acting for any oscars (except maybe DeNiro Very Happy) but it was mostly convincing and as i already said rather entertaining.
7/10
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up for Stardust!

Nice fairytale and a film I enjoyed. I liked Michelle Pfeiffer's performance. It was fun to watch a star famous (among other things) for her beauty, in this particular role.

Also very good score by Ilan Eshkeri whom I had a pleasure to meet in Prague couple of years ago.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

See, Stardust didn't really do it for me. I like fairy tales, but I felt like this one was trying to hard to be the next Princess Bride. I liked the film even less than the book, which always left me a little cold, except Spoiler:
the bit at the end where the king dies and Yvain, being a star, is left alone and immortal.
That got me.

I saw Rise of the Guardians this weekend. I liked it. I thought it was well-animated, the characters were neat, and I liked the bad guy. The plot didn't always make sense, but I've got to hand it to them -- starting a movie with the main character, a young man, dying, takes guts.
USA SportsFan800 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Nolan's Interstellar:

Probably Nolan's most spectacular looking film to date and longest as well. I saw this in regular digital format and cannot imagine how this looked in XD or IMAX. This is also a film you will love or hate. If you seen most of Nolan's films you know he loves to make you think and Interstellar is another one, but on a grander scale that lived up to my expectations. McConaughey, Hathaway, and Michael Caine highlight a great ensemble cast in this sci-fi, which it is! I know a lot of people are complaining of the logistics of the film including the ending but I thought it was just fine. Again this sci-fi we're talking about. Just enjoy the movie! (of course I wont spoil it Razz) Anyway I expect at least a few Oscar nods for its special effects when its all said and done and maybe a best director nomination for Nolan. Nolan continues to build his resume as one of the major power directors in Hollywood and I look forward to his next project.

As for Hans Zimmer's score, again you will either love or hate it. In this case he incorporates a pipe organ onto the work that he is best known for. He creates a score that captures the film's sense of epicness, majesticity, and mysterious feeling of outer space and thats what this film needed. What other kind of theme could he possibly have made for this movie? Come on this is Hans Zimmer we're talking about.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there even a 3D version of this movie? Or cinema only had it in 'normal' 2D.

Hurray for us 2D fans!
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

nope... there is no 3D version. Last I heared it was because Nolan wanted to make a "proper movie" and not something made entirely with computers.

I prefer 2D myself Smile
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Even then I won't go see it. Apparently Nolan came to the conclusion he made a monster by tightening up all the loose ends in the movie with SFX.
Wiping it all under the carpet of being SciFi is contrary to what he himself believed the movie is/should be: a film about the relation between father and daughter.
Feel free to like this kind of movies, no hard feelings there, but if this should get any Oscar nominations than the last string of hope for the Oscars is cut.

Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaaaa... indifferent movie-goer here:

INTERSTELLAR was both awesome and boring.

The sci-fi part was very well done, IMO, but the 'relationship' bits were either too much or too little, depending upon your expectations.

Apparently I'm mentally no older than 16 or so, therefore all of the father/daughter emoting had me rolling my eyes and checking my watch.

On the other hand I loved the Sci-Fi bits... both the space and the dystopian/utopian future bits.

Rating: 6/10.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two movies I saw are:

LE CROCODILE DU BOTSWANGA

Funny movie about a soccer player who comes back into his homeland and the dictator wants to make him stay in the soccer team.
Not everything is good in the gags, but I was amazed how the movie talks about big problems, like AIDS, dictatorship, colonization and others tough subjects as if they were laughable ones.
I put it in the "watchable" category

LES GARCONS ET GUILLAUME A TABLE

The story of a young man who is asking himself if he's gay or not while everyone else is treating him like one.
The movie is the transcription of a show, and part of it are the filming of the show. A very good way to go into the head of the character and the way he feels about all this, but with part of the movies that are too long. The fact that the same actor plays the main character and his mother is quite revealing.
I put it in the "good movies" category
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:58 am   Post subject: The Hobbit - battle of the five armies Reply with quote

Yaaaay! I have seen the Hobbit!

I'm not sure, what exactly to write here without spoilering anything. We all probably know the plot - lots of dwarfs and orks and humans and elves killing eachother. Nice.

Okay. I liked it anyway. And i was under the impression, that the movie was only half as long as the previous Hobbits. It did not feel as artificially drawn out as the second part. I didn't like that you were thrown right into the deep water even before the Title.
Spoiler:
Killing off Smaug before the official start of the movie felt a bit like they just wanted to get it over with.
And as usual I needed about half an hour to get used to the hyperrealistic, everyone-is-moving-a-bit-too-fast feeling that HFR usually gives me. And that kind of ruined the first part of the movie for me.
I really liked Richard Armitages performance. Not because he is insanely hot (I am more of a Fili girl anyway...) but because he actually managed to make me both like and hate him in a matter of 20 seconds.
Spoiler:
The way his face went from "You, Bilbo Baggins, are my only friend and true love lets get out of here and live happily ever after" to "everyone is against me, i shall kill them all" in a Heartbeat was impressive and completely convincing imho. Oh... and i don't ship Bilbo and Thorin, but i couldn't help getting the vibes from time to time... not sure if that was intentional...

Other then that. Well the batteling was as epic as everyone expected, all the extended storylines were neatly wrapped up and prepared for a neat transition to the lord of the rings.
And I really liked the ending song Smile

Still i would rate the movie at 7/10. I shall ramble about what bothered me in the long spoiler below. Feel free to skip it.

Oh...and maybe i will rewatch it (in german this time) and change my opinion Very Happy i'll edit this post then.

Spoiler:

Okay... I usually don't find all that much material to go off about when watching a movie for the first time, but here are some things that really bothered me:

1. Sandworms! I mean really. You are kind of 15 Years too late for the set of Dune. Orcs don't need Sandworms to build tunnles in mountains... they kinda live there.

2. Thorins awakening scene had a bit too much of light in the face and wind in the hair for my tastes... could have been an advertisment for hairproducts.

2. Conveniently placed Mountain Goats: Thorin did not have mountain goats last time i checked. The Iron dwarfs had exactly one mount for their boss (who was meridas dad Very Happy) which was a pig and slaughtered on screen. Elves don't ride Goats, and they were nice and white and fluffy and dwarfish amoured so the orks probably didn't bring them along. SO WHERE DID THEY COME FROM? Did Gandalf summon them via black magic, or did Balin hide them below his beard the whole time? we'll probably never know. But it's a good thing they were there... otherwise Peter Jackson would have had to make a fourth movie about Thorin and crew climbing up that mountain to get to the bbo (big bad orc).

3. Tauriel - was kind of awesome in the second movie. Even though her romance with Kili destroys the uniqueness of Gimlis and Legolas friendship, but since she was kick@ss i did not mind. But in the new movie i got the feeling that all she did was whine and get beaten up. So she rushes in to help her love in battle and is useless enough to be at least partially responsible for Kilis death.

4. Which leads me to my bigest problem: The deaths of Fili and Kili. Of course i knew they would die. And with Thorin I was even kind of glad he dies (due to great acting of Mr Armitage). In the Books their death had meaning. It was about family and loyality and all that stuff. In the movie, Kilis death was all about jerking a few tears for the tragic end of his romance with Tauriel and Fili just got stabbed and trown off a cliff AND NOBODEY CARED! Not even Kili was convincingly mad about it. He just went and killed some orcs. But really... he would have done that anyway.

Okay... i'll stop ranting now. Just had to get this off my chest.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice review, DTF, I completely agree.
I saw the movie in IMAX 3D and even then the movements go to fast to see them. But, as you stated, this movie was so much better cut than the previous one. And although the battle scenes were large it wasn't overwhelming as in LOTR3 e.g. Peter Jackson had probably learned from the critics. The spoiler hidden remarks were not an objection for me (where there love scenes? not in my point of view) and the dumb elf who had feelings for the dwarf isn't doing it for me, but maybe that's probably because a little bit of my first ex. Big chapeau for Mr.Shore who did revive his thematic approach on this score and got away from soundscaping in the battle scene.
Agree on the 7/10 Entertaining movie and score.

Beside the Hobbit I have seen some new and some older:

Taken one against many actionflic with Liam Neeson in a storyline with Luc Besson influences. Nathaniel Méchaly scored. 5/10
Limitless What if? Scifi around a pill that makes you able to use full braincapacity with Bradley Cooper and Robert de Niro. Entertaining and visually very strong 7/10
Horrible Bosses 2 Had no options left in cinema. On page ±47 there's a review of the first which is exactly the same. Bloopers were the best part.
2/10 Christopher Lennertz scored the vehicle.
Big miracle True environmental movie over grey whale family trapped in ice. With Drew Barrymore.Music by Cliff Eidelman 6/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dutch, did you get my PM? I'm surprised you gave the high a rating to Taken. I hated that movie.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know the title of this thread refers to movies you have watched recently. But I hope you will forgive me this little exception.

A movie I want to mention was screened in Poland more than a year ago so I can't tell I've just seen it.

The title is "Ida"
and I decided to write about this film right now, because it has been nominated to Golden Globe award recently and it seems to be quite a strong Oscar contender.

The movie is Polish and Danish co-production directed by Paweł Pawlikowski and it's been one of the best Polish movies I've seen in recent years. Probably my personal Top 3 of recent years in Poland.

It's definitely not a blockbuster. It's nicely shot black & white film telling us a story of a young orphan girl who aspires to become a catholic nun in Poland of early 1960s but discovers her parents were Jewish (murdered during the Nazi occupation).

Nothing is obvious in this flick. I also liked the fact that the film touches very complexed matter but in the same time shows the story thru very simple, subtle and quiet way of filming. I like this kind of storytelling in movies.

The movie has special flavor and special atmosphere for sure. Partly thanks to Scandinavian co-producers I guess. It's worth watching, especially when you get a craving for something else than a movie with a lot of CGI, FX and explosions.

Edit:
Here you can see an official international trailer of the movie (a litlle bit spoilerish in my opinion but probably can be helpful to decide if that's your kind of cinema or not): http://youtu.be/oXhCaVqB0x0

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After work at home I had time to do two movies:

Elle s'en va with Catherine Deneuve, who's beauty may be fading but still is a great actress. Roadmovie where she plays a 60y old that along the way encounters what she has been missing after her husband died. 6,5/10

Birlesen Gönüller (int.title A touch of us)
Turkish lovestory interrupted by war in the Northern Caucas region where the Nazi's deported whole villages to detention camps.
Great drama, bit slow in editing, but with high 'tissues'level. Even got me some watery eyes, merely due to the fabulous score of Greek composer Evtania Reboutsika 8/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 59 of 66

Jump to: