StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Parental Advisory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba wrote:
..censoring or bipping those words only makes people paying more attention to them!

Unless a person is very familiar with a particular track or song, I bet 99.9% of our listeners are completely unaware of the parts JERIC and I have edited out. We do our best to make the radio edits seamless.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Boba wrote:
..censoring or bipping those words only makes people paying more attention to them!

Unless a person is very familiar with a particular track or song, I bet 99.9% of our listeners are completely unaware of the parts JERIC and I have edited out. We do our best to make the radio edits seamless.

Just imagine if there were no vocal tracks on the station at all Shocked , then this wouldn't even be an issue Wink just saying..... Laughing
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
j2brown wrote:
There was once a time when people often gave thought to what they were saying rather than just let loose with a string of profanity to fill the space.

Cow pies! That general statement is what I call a Golden Age myth, and is no more or less true than it was 50, 100, or 1000 years ago. Some people have always used profanity. Some people have always been lazy about speech.

First, bonus points for use of "Cow pies!". Second, I never said, or meant to imply that this applied to everybody. However, there was a time when people would be more likely, especially in public situations, to have given more thought to their choice of words. You'll have a hard time convincing me that people on average aren't a lot more coarse than they used to be. Take TV as a (very limited, I know) example. It's gone from a very formal setting with fairly high social standards to today's anything goes. Remember when people used to dress up to go out? Now it seems that they don't care enough about themselves to put any thought into their appearance.

As to your use of profanity for expression, at least you put some thought into it, and decide on using that to express your feelings. You also imply that you give thought to your surroundings ("time and place") as part of that process. By your own admission you don't qualify as a target of my statement. I had in mind people who are "going to the f-n store to get some f-n milk and some f-n bread" and the like. Completely pointless use of profanity, in my opinion. I can't even take my daughter to the playground anymore because of all the 12 year olds playing f-n basketball with their f-n friends. Sad.

jeff
sdg
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:

Just imagine if there were no vocal tracks on the station at all Shocked , then this wouldn't even be an issue Wink just saying..... Laughing

hehe. i'm pro instrumental. that's why i'm here cause its the music not the lyrics that count.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
I had in mind people who are "going to the f-n store to get some f-n milk and some f-n bread" and the like. Completely pointless use of profanity, in my opinion. I can't even take my daughter to the playground anymore because of all the 12 year olds playing f-n basketball with their f-n friends.

I agree that such usage is completely unneccessary.
On the other hand it illustrates that the word in question has pretty much lost its meaning and its badness. At least it does to me.
Unless it is actually used as a direct insult it's nothing more than a fairly unimaginative filler word, and I just can't make myself care about it.

Labelling words as bad just adds to their allure. If there was no disapproval associated with the f-word, I rather doubt that kids would feel the need to play "f-n" basketball.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how this topic rears its head in the forums every now and then.

Anyway, I don't really see it as 'protecting our children from those bad, bad words'...

Its just about standards of conduct in public discourse. Alien, even though you don't see the word as 'bad' anymore, would you use it while having dinner with a head of state?... Heck, even in France where Boba can enjoy all the cursing over the airwaves he can get, I'll bet if invited over to Sarkozy's for a soiree, no one would speak like that.

You see? Whether we like to admit it or not, there are certain unwritten codes of conduct deemed appropriate for any given situation. The controversy arises when there's disagreement about what the unwritten (or in the case of TV in America, written, by the FCC) codes of conduct ought to be.

SST has decided upon a certain level of politeness in its stream, message boards, and chat room. No big deal. If you want to fill the forums with curse words visit DFM, where a rather different code of conduct has been decided upon.

So, now we can all calm down and wait another year to talk about this again...

Mr. Green

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
It’s just about standards of conduct in public discourse….there are certain unwritten codes of conduct deemed appropriate for any given situation.

Well said. Thank you for adding this, Luther.

It is not about censorship. It's about standards. Each of the five 24Seven stations has a set of guidelines for its music and chatroom that are simply a subjective decision by the owner. (Somewhere around here there is a ratings list: like PG for SST, PG-13 for 1980s, R (X?) for DFM, etc.)

Come to think of it, I can't remember hearing profanity on any other soundtrack stations on the radio or internet either. (Broadway Musicals are another story.) But SST is so much better - where else can you hear almost every track from the score album?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that anybody (in this round) had any issues with what SST is doing, at least not to the level of filing a complaint about it. I just wanted to provide some personal insight as to why I appreciate the policy.

jeff
sdg
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
Its just about standards of conduct in public discourse. Alien, even though you don't see the word as 'bad' anymore, would you use it while having dinner with a head of state?... Heck, even in France where Boba can enjoy all the cursing over the airwaves he can get, I'll bet if invited over to Sarkozy's for a soiree, no one would speak like that.

You mean, except Sarkozy himself?

Just kidding, just kidding... Wink
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, Boba may think the non-censorship is great, but laicité is not a problem-free system, either. (Look it up.)
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graphjam.com/2009/05/27/song-chart-memes-maturity-cursing/
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect graph j2! I am sad to say I am in that "OMG Hardcore" age group and I'm surrounded by the f-bomb. But you know what? Even though I've heard it every day of my life (thanks dad!) I am still not immune to it and I cringe every time I hear it (or read it).

So thank you SST for giving me a place to go where I can escape the dreaded f-bomb. Smile
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nice j2. Zgurl you didnt learn from watching BSG about the F-bomb?
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...I've never seen BSG. *hides* Very Happy
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A Parental Advisory warning — visual, this time.

I'm sure it comes as no surprise, but the cover for Histoire d'O features (I believe the scientific term is) "exposed sweater bunnies."

Again, perfectly in character with the Story of O. Check out 1:50 to 2:05 here. (It's SFW, I just didn't want to post the video.)

I personally am not offended, but mayhap someone would be, and it would be downright unAmerican of me not to bring it their attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: