StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Poland Tonks
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15754

Tonks is offline View user's profile Send private message View Tonks's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm reading:
"Love Stories" by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt. A gift from Santa.

I recommend this author for all who like a very compact stories. Few pieces, much of the content ..
"Love Stories" is a sweet - bitter and beautiful stories. For everyone - girls and boys. Smile
Commander

Member#: 13601

anya is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View anya's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
and I've got the movie to judge the adaptation right after
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I know, I know, it's been out for years. I enjoyed them. It got a little long in some places and some story lines I thought were superfluous, but they were a good read.

BQ
Commander

Member#: 13601

anya is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View anya's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have liked to read the book before wacthing the Fincher movie ; but that's not gonna happen... (I don't even know if they've got it at my library)
It's nice to have your advices about it, though
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished book 10, 11, and 12 of the Janet Evanovich series and while I was waiting for the next novella to become available I started SERIOUSLY...I'M KIDDING by Ellen Degeneres. It's her latest "memoir" and while it is funny, it's definitely not what I was expecting. The chapters are 3-4 pages long, the ideas bounce around like crazy and when she makes a good point about something, she ruins it with a dumb joke. So far it's only a 5/10.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to and finished Human Nature,, a Doctor Who novel by Paul Cornell, from which they adapted an episode of the same name. The official site was giving away the pdf, but until I got my kindle, it was too straining to read. Still don't like the kindle. Didn't much care for the novel. I mean, it was good, but too many dead children (and injured cats!) for me to enjoy. Much gorier than the television episode, too.
USA Class
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 23309

Class is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Class's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading the 'Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster'. Its very funny read about religion.
http://www.goodreads.com/class
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

After too many comics...I'm reading Boardwalk Empire now and it is a great read so far! I'll admit that I started the HBO show via Netflix last week and enjoyed the first few episodes that I wanted to read the real history behind Atlantic City. Though I have just got to the point where the city is finally established (!) and the HBO show is more in the middle of the book, I have no doubts the rest of it will be enjoyable (both tv show and book).
Captain

Member#: 15754

Tonks is offline View user's profile Send private message View Tonks's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, after failed attempt eight years ago, I returned to the beautiful book about a doctor from the medieval times (year 1030). Beautifully described background and customs of foreign cultures and the Far East - if you like. I recommend!

Medicus - Noah Gordon
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished "Pure" by Julianna Baggott. It's a young adult novel about the aftermath of a bomb that separates society into two classes, the "Pures" who survived inside a protected Dome, and the "Wretches", people caught outside the Dome who merged with inanimate objects or animals. Pressia, a teenager with a doll fused to her hand, discovers an underground society trying to overthrow the Dome. She's torn between Bradwell, the son of revolutionaries, and Partridge, a Pure leader's son who escapes the Dome to search for his mother. It's a rather conflict-driven and violent book; not as haunting or poetic as "Matched."
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "True Strength" by Kevin Sorbo, which was pretty inspiring considering that he recovered from a series of life threatening strokes and went back to work on Hercules. He mentions his faith as part of his recovery, but it's well integrated in the book. I can see why he did a film like "Soul Surfer" because he was able to relate to recovering from a traumatic event.

I also enjoyed "Fated" by Benedict Jacka. It's very similar to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, except it doesn't have the crime/mystery bent. Alex Verus is a divination mage in London who runs a small magic shop. He gets caught up in a power struggle between dark and light mages searching for a special artifact that can tip the balance.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the last book in the Janet Evanovich series last night. After 22 books of amateur action, sex and complete fluff I am so happy to be done! I did enjoy the books by my brain is begging for more substance.

Up next (after a few days break) will be Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

At last I started Umberto Eco's "The Prague Cemetery" (Italian: Il cimitero di Praga). Only something like 20 pages behind me so it's too early for any opinions, but it's obvious right from the start that you deal with extraordinary Eco's erudition and his unique, full of many contexts, language skills here.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of Good Catholic Girls: How Women Are Leading the Fight to Change the Church by Angela Bonavoglia. Some of the stories she relates are downright heart-crushing, so I confess to skimming them. Some of the rest is inspiring.

I'm also re-reading The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson. But only when the sun is up, and I'm not alone in the house.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading Cold Vengeance by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I've been reading their books for quite some time now and quite enjoy them. Totally escapist entertainment but nice to read. So no great literary values here but sometimes interesting plots, although this second book of the so called Helen trilogy is leaving me bit cold...

I also have George R R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" on the night stand. I watched the show and quite enjoyed it so I'm trying to get into books, too, but I'm not really sure if I like them that much. I think I'll read through the first two books and then decide if I should go on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 40 of 54

Jump to: