StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

arlingirl wrote:
One thing I totally abhore is when a movie comes out and then they replace the book's original cover with the movie poster cover.

ViolaLover wrote:
Arlin- I agree on the whole book-cover-movie-poster thing. I can't stand that.

While I have the same feeling as you concerning the book cover replacement, I also think that this is a chance for the book to reach a wider audience -- of course, the book doesn't deserve it all the time, but sometimes does. I'm thinking of I, Robot and Minority Report as recent examples...

Well, that was my two cents Smile

Lot of great reading ideas in this thread, thanks everyone Smile
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 10439

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:

While I have the same feeling as you concerning the book cover replacement, I also think that this is a chance for the book to reach a wider audience -- of course, the book doesn't deserve it all the time, but sometimes does. I'm thinking of I, Robot and Minority Report as recent examples...

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people reading. If my students see a movie and want to read the book, that's great. I'm just usually disappointed by the movie versions and it's irritating that people don't know where movie ideas came from in the first place.

Am I making any sense whatsoever?? Smile

Keep reading guys...
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pride & Prejudice was really good, though...(movie)
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

arlingirl wrote:

Smile of course! I agree with you on the average quality of book adaptations. BTW I also read and saw Memoirs of a Geisha and both were ok but not great... What surprised me the most is that the book's author is a man Smile
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:

This book is No. 10 in a series of science fiction classics published under the SF Masterworks brand. Orion keep pumping them out and I'm trying to catch up. I've read about half of the 60-odd titles released so far.

Is A Fall Of Moondust one of those SF Masterworks that you have read Snowy? That's one of my favourite SF books of all time. Not particularly out of this world for concept or ideas but a great 'disaster' novel.

You can find the whole list here
To my considerable chagrin I find that I've only read five (!!!) of the 69 listed. And I thought I was a sci-fi fan... clearly not.

The other ones being Eon which is another of my favourite books ever, and the ingenious Blood Music. Although I prefer Eon as a book the concept of Blood Music is brilliant and I certainly won't give anything away here but it is well, well worth checking out!

And also Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Ringworld by Larry Niven.

I guess I have a mission to get through these SF Masterworks myself now, too, Snowy. Thanks Rolling Eyes Wink

Edit: Updated link
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheSnowLeopard"]
Quote:
You will be the same person in five years as you are today, except for the people you meet and the books you read. - Charles Jones

I love that statement.

I am currently reading an Elizabeth Peters mystery and I have to say that I really did like Memoirs of a Geisha. I thought is was so different from anything I had read before.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

arlingirl wrote:
Alchemist wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people reading. If my students see a movie and want to read the book, that's great. I'm just usually disappointed by the movie versions and it's irritating that people don't know where movie ideas came from in the first place.

Keep reading guys...

I have to agree about bad movie adaptations of books. I often will not see a movie if I haven't read the book(s) first. I want to know what has been changed, what is missing and what has stayed the same in the movie.

edit: I just thought of the best movie adaptation I have seen so far: The Langoliers by Stephen King. Produced as a TV mini-series from the book Four Past Midnight. Another mini-series, The Night Flier, came from that book as well. It also was a good adaptation, but not as good as The Langoliers.

On the flip side though, the book adaptations of movies are usually just as ghastly. It's not that the stories are changed- although sometimes you do get a better sense of what a character was thinking - it's that the book adaptations are essetially the same. Same goes for comic book adaptations. But it does get people to read so I won't bash (comic)book adaptations of movies too hard.

As for what I'm reading now?

The Book of the Breast by Robert Anton Wilson. It's a fascinating read of why society/civilization is obsessed with b00bs. I'm only reading it for the articles of course. Wink btw Robert Anton Wilson is the same writer of Schrödenger's Cat and the Illuminati Trilogy.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mellow

I'm delighted you are a fan of the SF Masterwork series.

I enjoyed reading A Fall of Moondust last year. I was impressed by how Clarke was able to create so much drama out of a slim premise without it being far-fetched or contrived.

I read Eon years and years ago, so I can't remember much about the plot, but I know I liked it. I will be re-reading the new Masterwork edition soon. I agree with you about Blood Music. If you are a fan of Greg Bear, try The Forge of God.

My favourites from the SF Masterwork series so far would be:

Timescape by Gregory Benford
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
I am Legend by Richard Matheson
Gateway by Frederick Pohl
Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss
Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore

Snowy
Ensign

Member#: 12319

fett870 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail fett870's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Triple Zero yesterday, now I am reading The Stand by Stephen King. Pretty good so far, although I'm only 45 pages in. I have 1100 pages left
Vode an.

And glory, eternal glory,
We shall bear its weight together.
Forged like the saber in the fires of death,
Brothers all.
- Mandalorian war chant
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

fett870 wrote:
I finished Triple Zero yesterday, now I am reading The Stand by Stephen King. Pretty good so far, although I'm only 45 pages in. I have 1100 pages left

The Stand is probably my favorite Stephen King book. It is awesome. Too bad the movie was horrible. I have to say I'm usually disappointed with the Stephen King movies-from-books. The only one I enjoyed was Rose Red and the Diary of Ellen Rimbauer and that's because I didn't read those! Wink

Misery is an awesome King book, too. Ooh and Thinner. Ok...I better stop. haha
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Shawshank Redemption, arlin. Great movie, in my opinion.

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal, all-time favorite King book is The Dead Zone. I hereby recommend it to everyone, including people who don't usually read his stuff. It's such a sad, beautiful story. The movie is okay. The TV series is, well, I watched the first episode and never bothered with the rest. Feh!

In other news, I just read the first volume of She-Hulk, issues 1-6. Very funny, but probably only because I'm married to a lawyer. (Shulk is an attorney, sometimes as DA)
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite King book - Christine. I like the movie too even though I know it's very cheesy Rolling Eyes
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
Don't forget Shawshank Redemption, arlin. Great movie, in my opinion.

jeff
sdg

Very true Jeff...awesome movie. Most ppl don't realize it's King. Wink It was in a 3-parter w/ "The Body" which is the movie "Stand by Me" (right?). I've actually never seen the movie. Is it any good?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You've never seen Shawshank? Go see it. Right now. Just buy it, you won't regret it.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 6 of 54

Jump to: