StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seleene wrote:
Could you elaborate, LadyI? That got me curious!

I can. Mostly, it's the score for Pirates of the Caribbean. Originally Alan Silvestri, but the director and producer had a disagreement, and Zimmer was wanted. Zimmer couldn't do it, because he was in an exclusive contract for another film. But he wrote the themes, and then Klaus Badelt and something like twenty flunkies from Media Ventures did the rest.

I'm not totally against the idea of composers having flunkies. I figure it's an apprenticeship, helps the new girls and guys learn the ropes. But the thing is, Zimmer DID violate his contract, just not in any explicit written way. And the end product is lame, 45 minutes of one theme, which I have trouble liking on my most charitable days. The whole thing feels like musical Velveeta. I used to like Zimmer. Then, 15 years ago, he fell in love with this minimalist electronic muck and churns it out over and over again. Feh.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

During the longterm SST-blackouts I found some time to do some extra reading apart for solving cryptogrammes and reading magazines.

I finally ended the Gogol I mentioned x-pages ago.
With phonebook thick paper and over 600 pages that was quite an enterprise. But it was worth it.

Latter is being published in America under the title: Operation Bernhard, by Wilhelm Hoettl, author's real name. It reveals a lot on the large scale of counterfeiting banknotes in Nazi-Germany on which the author himself was partially involved as SS-officer. The movie "the Counterfeiters" is related to this operation.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

after finishing the non-fiction as mentioned here above, I now started in "the Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. As Girlfriend had bought it I will have to read it in Dutch:

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that title was easy to read, even in Dutch. I wonder if the text is the same way.

I somehow found times between feedings to read The Ice Dragon, George R.R. Martin's long-awaited (not without trepidation, I'm sure) foray into children's fiction. It was okay. At least he didn't kill any babies in this story.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and it was an easy read as well, so it's finished within 2 days Smile
I now started in "Boy" a novel (2000) by reknown Dutch author J.Bernlef

It's about a journalist who investigates the early death of a promising actress, he adored. The suspect who was arrested turned out to be a young mute boy.
Bernlef (real name H.J.Marsman) had died in October last year and was famous for his novel "Hersenschimmen", which is about dementia.
He often wrote about psychological illnesses or blindness, hence his pseudonyme Bernlef which he took from a blind Frisian poet from the 8th century.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On iPad it started on:

Origin of Species (illustrated edition) by Charles Darwin.

I had downloaded this a while ago but not yet found the time to start in this lively part of history.
Non-fiction of course but I'm vey curious about it

Last edited by Dutchbat on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After I mentioned a book that is a bestseller in Spain and is being translated in 13 languages already in it's first year of release, Gf decided to try that one and bought the new Dutch translation.
As I wanted to read it in the original Spanish language I now find myself reading the same book simultaneously on iPad (spanish) and print (Dutch)

USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I last updated, I haven't read much of anything, at least nothing with substance. I started to read Les Mis but got stuck about half ways through Very Happy

I read a few cheesy romance novels, 3 books from 3 different series, and recently I've been working my way through a stack of magazines that I've been hoarding for 9 months.

Hopefully soon I'll start His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, or maybe I'll wait until May when Dan Brown's new book comes out.
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started reading The Jupiter Theft by Donald Moffitt. it starts with an object approachifng the solar system at an immense speed and spewing deadly x-rays but is written at a time when humans have only just spawned a moonbase and satellites around other planets to triangulate deep space measurements. The problem is, it will arrive in 6 months and destroy life as we know it. Familiar plot I know but I'm intrigued by the title.

The Jupiter Theft at Amazon
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of two books. The first is a novel called This Is Not A Game, by Walter John Williams. It's a thriller about the blurring between reality and fiction during a real-time online strategy game. Or something like that. I'm doing a lousy job describing it, but it's fast-paced, I'm enjoying it, and it kinda reminds me of SST.

The other book I'm reading is 'Til Faith Do Us Part: How Interfaith Marriage is Transforming America, by Naomi Schaefer Riley. Being in an interfaith marriage myself, I'm finding a lot of this book interesting and relevant. Not much of a thriller, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put away all my books.

Newest Dan Brown is out :-)
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:

Newest Dan Brown is out Smile

Yes, I bought it in English.
But I will finish my lively Darwin non-fiction on i-Pad first.
I did finish all spanish language books I was reading but picked up in the
library an original language Voltaire classic:

CANDIDE, OU L'OPTIMISME

Nice to read, even in french, about the philosophical journey the young and fresh Candide makes in his quest for Cunégonde aka Happiness.
8/10

On the shelf are Inferno (Dan Brown) and the biography of Joop van den Ende. More info on those as I start/finish on those.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on "Inferno" by Dan Brown. (in English)
Another pageturner with Robert Langdon as lead character ( Da Vinci Code, the Lost symbol)

As I thought this turned to be a page turner just like the others. Finished it and can recommend it to all Brown adepts. some people will be overwhelmed by all the historical input but all these facts make it so appealing to me.

Last edited by Dutchbat on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:37 am; edited 2 times in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me tell you that I highly recommend This is Not a Game. I finished it, I really liked it, and part of it involves an online community that kinda reminds me of the folks here at SST. I will concede that in light of the Boston Marathon bombings, some parts of it are a little too close to home.

I also finished the sequel, Deep State. That was less fun. Less recommended. It's about fomenting an uprising in Turkey. Given recent events, that's less fun, too. Sigh.

I'm currently (finally) reading Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's about punctuation and, as a grammar nazi stickler, I'm enjoying it.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Started off in a biography about the man who grew up as a little rascal in an Amsterdam neighborhood and made it to the top in entertainment land. He is known for much talked over TV-programs as "Big Brother", all kind of Dutch soaps and his love for musical. He took the risks of getting big Broadway productions to the Netherlands and produced several dutch productions.
His name: Joop van den Ende

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 44 of 54

Jump to: