StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been thinking about getting one of those... is there an app?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were already on goodreads?

And yes it has an app see http://www.goodreads.com/
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I went and signed up with LibraryThing all those years ago and skipped goodreads. Wrong side of history, me.

I just finished a book called Mr. Fox, by Helen Oyeyemi. I almost didn't finish it. I picked it up, because some article I read said that this author was just awesome, and she has a couple novels, and this one is connected to fairy tales, which everyone knows is my jam. In the end, I simply could not care less. The story is about an author and his muse and his wife, or at least, that's what the copy on the back of the book tells me. But I didn't care about any of them, and there wasn't enough plot, and by the end, I couldn't even see the connection to the fairy tale "Mr. Fox" any more. Feh. I'm sorry, but feh.

I'm almost done with Legenda Maris, a Tanith Lee collection. She makes me despair of my own writing, but that's not her fault. After I finish this, I move on to the third volume of Birthgrave. The last one was unpleasant (think "Khal Drogo, the Early Years"), but I'm a completist.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

From the list of 4 books that Gf had won, mentioned in a previous post, I picked another Simone v.d. Vlugt historical novel to read.
Perfect timing as it describes the two years of the aftermath of the Rotterdam bombing in WWII.
Not her best novel but still a good read. 6.5/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Tom Lockwood's The Summer Dragon out of the library because I heard good things. He's an illustrator (he worked on D&D) who always wanted to be a writer, so now he has a contribution to the ever-expanding "dragon rider" genre. To be honest, any book that boasts "Book One of the [ponderous series title here]" is a turn-off to me, and the book itself isn't holding my interest. I'm a quarter through, and I don't see myself finishing it.

On the same trip to the library I picked up The Paper Menagerie, a collection of short stories written by Kevin Liu. This is much better. He's a great writer, and so far I've liked all the stories I've read. So I'll stick with this one.
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm parellel reading 3 books at the moment (you know... to accomodate different moods)

I can see what the fuzz is all about with this book, but it's not exactly fun to read.

I'm reading this for my book challenge this year.... but i'm really not happy with this. All the word-scrambelling is disturbing my reading flow. Maybe that is just because i'm not a native english speaker.

and still working on

Yennefer is so awfully annoying that i have to stop reading after a couple of pages when she is there, for fear of having a rage-induced heart attack... But everything that does not include Yennefer is supremely AWESOME!
Poland Pit3r
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 33226

Pit3r is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pit3r's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting with Andrzej Pilipiuk Deer`s eye series and reading now "The Way to Nidaros".

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing"
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DieTeeFee, I can't imagine what reading the BFG must be like for non-native English speakers. My hat's off to you.

Now I need to find me a good book in German...
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the wake of recent (and less recent) 'shocking' news facts I picked up two books that research journalists have written on different subjects.
I am still reading about de Spinoza, but it's a volumineus book that I can't take with me in my working bag.
So I started in:

Undercover in Klein-Marokko (2006) by Hind Fraihi
An overlooked, with painful result, warning through undercover research journalism by Belgian-Moroccan moslima. Her story from inside the radicalising neighborhood of Molenbeek,Brussels

followed by:
Panama Papers by Obermayer & Obermaier
The official release of the result and the research around the Fonsecka scandal.

Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pythons: Autobiography by the Pythons
Yeah, some people know, I am a big fan of Monty Python. I 've got this book as a gift. It is really big and heavy, so I am reading it at home. In fact this is a compilation of excerpts from interviews with the members of the most famous comedy troupe or with their families (Graham Chapman died in 1989). The stories are very detailed and presented from each Python's point of view. I find this book a quite interesting, especially anecdotes. I am in the middle now: the movie 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' was successful and they 're thinking about a next one (Life of Brian).
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Jane Eyre. Because why not?
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a hot topic because in Germany this is a bestseller arm.
Fits nicely behind the Hind about the Brussels neighborhood.

"Deutschland im Blaulicht"
By Tania Kambouri
German police officer tells about integration in her neighborhood and how little there is to do against radicalism.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me. This is one of those books I read because it's not what I usually read. Eventually, I guess, those books might become what I usually read, and then I don't know what to do. Anyway, I'm glad I read it, but I can't say I liked it. I don't know that I was supposed to.

I have now started The Natural Way of Things, by Charlotte Wood. This sounds more up my alley, but we'll see as I go on.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the BFG (meeh) and 1984 lately. 1984 was in equal parts interesting/captivating and afwul. But I suppose thats what makes the book so memorable.

Anyways. For my reading challenge i started the "rabbit-proof fence". The category is: A book about a culture i am not familiar with. The first 15 pages i have read did already do a good job in destroying my faith in humanity (...again).
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Monstress, by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda. It's beautiful, I guess, but dark and dense and not always in a good way. Plus there is violence against children, which is not something I enjoy in my fiction. Glad I can send it back to the library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 50 of 54

Jump to: