StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Worst Film Accents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:30 pm   Post subject: Worst Film Accents Reply with quote

This thread is split from Playlist> Mary Poppins. - Twopop

And, by the way, Dick Van Dyke's fake London accent makes the song "Shtep in time". Laughing
USA MissJubilee
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 11503

MissJubilee is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MissJubilee's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, by the way, Dick Van Dyke's fake London accent makes the song "Shtep in time".

Does anybody remember the "Worst Film Accents" list a few years ago? Not having been to London, I can't tell if Dick Van Dyke's is realistic or not (he got #2), but when I saw Charlton Heston on the list I said, "What accent?!" He plays a cop from Mexico in "Touch of Evil," but he didn't seem to even attempt an accent, just sounded average-American (ie, USA-America). Came close to ruining the movie for me.

1. Sean Connery, "The Untouchables" (1987)
2. Dick Van Dyke, "Mary Poppins" (1964)
3. Brad Pitt, "Seven Years In Tibet" (1997)
4. Charlton Heston, "Touch of Evil" (1958)
5. Heather Graham, "From Hell" (2001)
6. Keanu Reeves, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (1992)
7. Julia Roberts, "Mary Reilly" (1996)
8. Laurence Olivier, "The Jazz Singer" (1980)
9. Peter Postlewaite, "The Usual Suspects" (1995)
10. Meryl Streep, "Out of Africa" (1985)
-- Source: Empire Magazine
Captain

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
What a great list! I love the one about Sean Connery in Untouchables... but where on earth is Kevin Costner in Robin Hood? Not a good English accent...

And by the way, as a Londoner myself I can safely say that Dick Van Dyke's London accent was horrendous!

Bless him!
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for mentioning Kevin Costner in Robin Hood. We watched that again recently and noticed that.
Wow, this topic deserves it's own thread. Smile

(Indeed. Split from Playlist> Mary Poppins. - Twopop)

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend always contended that in the time of Robin Hood the English accent that we know today didn't exist yet, so Mr Costner wasn't too far off (althought I'd guess that was by accident). I'm sure somebody here either knows the facts or can find them on their favorite search engine.

jeff
sdg
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, j2, you're saying everyone else in the film had the wrong accent? Wink The film with the most bad accents in history? What an accolade! Laughing

And Jeric, perhaps you ought to move this to it's own thread - I have a feeling it might go on and on.... Very Happy
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian friends have told us that Sean Connery's accent in The Hunt for Red October is so poor, it's sometimes almost impossible to understand.
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Connery in Hunt for Red October too... it was funny hearing him trying to sound Russian.

In the commentary, the director mentioned that it was no secret that Connery was no linguist and that they re-worked the script to give him as few lines in Russian as possible. Very Happy
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just came up with another one I hadn't thought about - Tom Cruise in Far And Away. I remember that being downright embarassing. What was Nicole Kidman's like in the same film? Can't remember her.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
but where on earth is Kevin Costner in Robin Hood? Not a good English accent...

Mel Brooks made a joke about Costner's bad accent in Robin Hood: Men in Tights... the quote is from IMDb

Prince John (Richard Lewis): And why would the people listen to you?
Robin Hood (Cary Elwes): Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.
[referring to the then recent blockbuster Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, in which Kevin Costner played the role with an American accent]

Laughing

Frankly I cringe every time Costner try any accent... all of his attempts sound the same to me.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I actually met someone who had such a weird Cockney accent that it was more cartoonish than Dick Van Dyke.

As for Sean Connery, I pretty much accept that he's playing a character well, despite his inability to speak in any other accent than his own. I tried to wrap my head around the concept that Jim Malone was Irish, and Sean Connery was doing a bad Irish accent. It helps when you're seeing something where he's speaking Japanese. Domi arigato, lass.

Now, can someone tell me what kind of accent Halle Berry is attempting in X-Men?

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta?

I haven't seen it yet but it's quite bad in the trailers...
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fave soundtracks is Fenton's Anna and the King, but imho the casting of Jody Foster as Anna was a disaster. Wrong look and -yikes- her forced English accent made it impossible to get into the story.
crystalstare
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 10891

crystalstare is offline View user's profile Send private message crystalstare's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Young Guns. Charlie Sheen had the worst southern cowboy accent I've ever heard.
Cadet 3

Member#: 13999

Maxpovver is offline View user's profile Send private message Maxpovver's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget kate beckinsale in van helsing, that was pretty bad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: