StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

First video you ever watched?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:05 pm   Post subject: First video you ever watched? Reply with quote

We were talking abour VCR vs Betamax in chat the other day and I wondered what video you saw first on your VCR.

I guess for some of us it might be children's programs our parents put on! For others it might be: "what's a VCR?"

Me, I was about 8 or 9 when we got our first VCR and we watched Star Wars. At that time I hadn't seen it in the cinema and all my friends were talking about it. I thought it was awesome. You could just pause it and go to the toilet! How cool was that!

I used to lovethose huge finger like buttons you had to pull down too, remember those? Boy when you pressed stop or play, boy did you know it! Laughing
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the video I saw first on my VCR, it was "Independence Day". This was also the first VCR in our house at that time. Yes, I have parents that are technologically challenged, but my sister and I have started to loosen them up Wink
If it's the video I saw first on VCR regardless, it's either "Empire Strikes Back", or "An American Tail". I don't really remember stuff from when I was young Smile
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really can't remember the answer to that question. My family got a VCR in about 1984 or so, but I don't have a clue which movie we watched first. I do remember seeing the Return of the Jedi on VHS quite early on, though.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember our first VCR. BetaMAX, with a wired remote. We stopped at Erol's Video (now an ISP) on the way home and joined. The first video we rented was "The Dark Crystal".

jeff
sdg
Belgium Irulan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13572

Irulan is offline View user's profile Send private message View Irulan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The first video I saw was "The neverending story",my parents rented it. I was 4 years old and the wolf scared me so much, that´s why I can remember it Smile
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This really made me think. I'd have to say my first VHS movie was the movie Legend with Tom Cruise. My parents couldn't afford to buy a VHS so we would go and rent one and it would come with 5 movies. They'd usually get a variety of movies, something for Mom, something for Dad and something for the family. I had to call them this morning and ask if they could remember hahahaha. Very Happy

Neat Thread idea Mellow Wink
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was the first thing we rented for our newly bought VCR (when I was a kid). Very Happy How wonderful is that?
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

jeff
sdg
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao J2! I love that skit. Smile

my first was on one of those big, heavy, top loading JVC VCRs from the late 70s (big paddle levers for the functions and a wired remote!)

the movie was Star Trek: The Motion Picture or The War of the Worlds (1953) or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954). I really can't remember which one was first, but these are on two of my oldest tapes.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
UK Mroche70
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12437

Mroche70 is offline View user's profile Send private message Mroche70's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:27 pm   Post subject: Rocky..... Reply with quote

The first movie i saw on video was Rocky.....
USA vader_76
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 10227

vader_76 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View vader_76's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a VCR (with cool wired remote) in about 1982. The first two rentals my Dad brought home with it were "Zorro - the Gay Blade" and "The Pink Panther"

Great question!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a bit too young to remember the very first VCRs and such...but the earliest video I can remember watching was The Land Before Time. I remember it because the thought of sliding a little black box into a slot and having Littlefoot show up on the TV amazed me to no end. Guess I'm just jaded now Razz
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
My first was on one of those big, heavy, top loading JVC VCRs from the late 70s (big paddle levers for the functions and a wired remote!)

Being one of those parents you're all talking about... our first VCR cost $1200 and weighed about 10 lbs!
Man, that thing was built like a tank.

We still have boxes full of tapes of cartoons and the kids' favorite shows. What a scream to look at some of them now and see the hair-dos and clothes people were wearing in the commercials & news breaks.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
genericdragon wrote:
My first was on one of those big, heavy, top loading JVC VCRs from the late 70s (big paddle levers for the functions and a wired remote!)

Being one of those parents you're all talking about... our first VCR cost $1200 and weighed about 10 lbs!
Man, that thing was built like a tank.

We still have boxes full of tapes of cartoons and the kids' favorite shows. What a scream to look at some of them now and see the hair-dos and clothes people were wearing in the commercials & news breaks.

I'm not sure of the price, I was in my single digits when my parents bought it. Ours is definately heavy and sturdy and it still works!! Shocked Not to mention noisy with clicks, clunks and sproings as it operates.

I know what you mean about hair-dos. I still have the 50th anniversary celebration for the Golden Gate Bridge on tape (1987). The newcasters hair is so "poofed" with hairspray you can see right through it. Laughing

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a pic of the VCR somewhere. I think I'll just have to go and take a picture of it.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my brother popping in The Terminator when it first came out on VHS. When he got a place of his own, he put in his copy of Pink Flamingos. Yes, fine exercises in exposing children to violence and depravity. These days he puts the same care in the stuff his little girls watch. Outstanding! Laughing

I remember my uncle had a Betamax/VHS machine switch on his TV. Memories... First Betamax video seen: Ladyhawke

Remember the Laser Disc? You'd have this disc the size of a large pizza, and it would cost $100 or $200. One scratch, and it's history. First Laser Disc: Yanks

When I finally got my own VCR, someone gave me a copy of Batman.

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: