StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ice Age VS Ice Age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you agree David Newman should have been given the chance to score Ice Age: The Meltdown?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Don't care
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kiddo_24
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12459

Kiddo_24 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Kiddo_24's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:20 pm   Post subject: Ice Age VS Ice Age Reply with quote

I know FOX isn’t Disney/Pixar. Whereas the composer of choice for Pixar’s animation is Randy Newman, I wouldn’t have expected Blue Sky Studios to keep one composer for returning projects . . . with the only exception of a franchise.

ICE AGE by David Newman was a great score on its own with an OK release by Varese Sarabande. Four years after the first movie we get Ice Age: The Meltdown (IA2) by John Powell. Before there’s any confusion on my comments, let me say that I’m a big Newman AND Powell fan. My favorite Newman score is THE PHANTOM. My favorite Powell scores are RAT RACE and THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.

With that out of the way, I strongly believe Powell should not have done (IA2). I wanted to hear more Newman and his expansion on his original themes. Powell didn’t revisit any of the themes. Sure, both composers have done great animated scores. Newman’s done THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER, ANASTASIA and ICE AGE. Powell’s done SHREK 1, CHICKEN RUN, ROBOTS and ANTZ.

My gripe is that David Newman is a composer whose talents are not used to his full potential. The guy is mainly assigned comedies! Of all the Newmans out there – Thomas, Randy, Alfred (deceased) – David is overlooked! His scores don’t get wide releases or are released as promos. Again, his talent is not fully used by the director and/or producers. Sounds like the same manner in which John Debney was treated and look what he did! Now everyone wants him!

Powell is widely popular. In fact, try counting the scores he’s doing this year: ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN, UNITED 93, X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, HAPPY FEET. What’s Newman doing? [Crickets chirping]

Powell’s score for IA2 is growing on me but I do find the opening song annoying. The mammoth theme is my favorite but I miss Manny’s, Sid’s and Diego’s themes from the first film! There’s much “SHREK” in IA2. That gets under my skin a bit. (Yes, I own both SHREK works and the other animation works.) Can any of you imagine TOY STORY 2 without Randy Newman?!

Well, what’s done is done. No going back. All I can do is sit back and wait for the Oscar score by Newman. No, I didn’t mean IA2 could’ve been Oscar-worthy. Still, more Newman would have been nice. I just wonder if Varese Sarabande would’ve released much of the score for Newman like they did for Powell’s.

-Kiddo_24
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: