StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

aacPlus Streaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoidburg wrote:
I've installed the Orban aacPlus plugin to test out how well it works with Windows Media Player 10 on my system

Many people are running Windows 98 SE, Me, or 2000. As I understand it, you must have Windows XP to be able to download WMP 10. "Windows Media Player 10 is the all-in-one media player that provides the best experience for discovering, playing, and taking your digital entertainment anywhere--on Windows XP-based PCs and the widest choice of portable devices."

Is WMP 9 series essentially the same thing? Is the plug-in compatible with 9, too?

Zoid, I really appreciate all your helpful technical advice. Keep it coming.
JJ2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9724

JJ2005 is offline View user's profile Send private message JJ2005's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Zoidburg wrote:
I've installed the Orban aacPlus plugin to test out how well it works with Windows Media Player 10 on my system

Many people are running Windows 98 SE, Me, or 2000. As I understand it, you must have Windows XP to be able to download WMP 10. "Windows Media Player 10 is the all-in-one media player that provides the best experience for discovering, playing, and taking your digital entertainment anywhere--on Windows XP-based PCs and the widest choice of portable devices."

Is WMP 9 series essentially the same thing? Is the plug-in compatible with 9, too?

Zoid, I really appreciate all your helpful technical advice. Keep it coming.

Thank for pointing that out. My Windows Media Player at work is still 9 b/c we do not update. I am going to see if I can download 10 since I am running on XP. The pluggin did not work for WMP 9 for me.
Mollymauk
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14213

Mollymauk is offline View user's profile Send private message Mollymauk's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told by our "resident geek" (his choice of words!) that, based on what I'm allowed to access and what is available for me to use (from SST), the technical term for my situation is "you're fooked."

I guess I'm back to the audio tapes of Harry Potter for the gazillionth time. But I'll keep looking in to see if things have been added that will allow me to wiggle wround our restrictions here.

Keep on playin'!

Cat (Mollymauk)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 10518

Rhubarb_Runner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Rhubarb_Runner's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have (on home PC) Windows XP and all updates, plus latest WMP with all updates, and the sound I get is choppy & unlistenable.

Not many options available for folks on work PCs would aren't allowed to updated anything.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is a beta plugin. Hopefully things will improve quickly based on the input they get from users. There is a readme located here, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. Still worth reading over just in case though. It does say WMP9 under the minimum system requirements, so you shouldn't have to upgrade to WMP10 to make it work. For now I'm trying different streams on Tuner2, then I'm going to head to ShoutCast to see if I can't make it break for me lol. There has been concern from other folks over at HydrogenAudio over this plugin regarding the same things folks are complaining about here (no sound, crashing, etc). Might be worth heading over there as you get a more direct line to the developers possibly (or so it appears). If all else fails it might be worth trying some of the other programs Jeric listed. Not a 100% sure but I think all of them can be made to run self contained off of a USB key or similar device. Worth looking into anyways. Sure wish I could be more helpful than I am being, but it's hard when there is nothing to troubleshoot at my end lol. I'll keep my eyes open and post here if I come across anything useful. I wouldn't worry too much about it either. aacPlus is pretty popular, and now that this plugin is available we're going to see a lot of stations switch to it I'm sure. I'm pretty sure I've seen Jeric mention that the majority of his listeners use WMP, and I think I've read that at another station as well. The bugs should get ironed out pretty quickly. I hope so anyways. Wink

Edit: @Rhubarb_Runner, have you tried going into the options for WMP and increasing the buffer? In WMP10 it's under the performance tab.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

At home I am using Winamp as WMP kept crashing my computer. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the buffer time in Winamp cause it runs well for a while and then gets really choppy as the stream continually rebuffers? Would be curious to know if there is a way to fix this as this seems to be the only way to play the stream at home effectively. Thanks in advance for any help.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
At home I am using Winamp as WMP kept crashing my computer. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the buffer time in Winamp cause it runs well for a while and then gets really choppy as the stream continually rebuffers? Would be curious to know if there is a way to fix this as this seems to be the only way to play the stream at home effectively. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are using directsound output in Winamp, the buffering option should be in it's properties. Or maybe it was the MPEG component under input or something like that. It's been a really long time since I've used Winamp 2/5 so my memory is likely to be pretty faulty. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it is in there somewhere and is user configurable. Wink
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, Nate! (and your memory is not that bad Zoidburg Wink)

In the Winamp Menu, you have to choose Options -> Preferences. Then, in the left tab: Plugins -> Input.

Choose Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder 3.5 (in_mp3.dll) and Configure.

And then, last tab, 'Streaming'.

I usually set the data buffer to 512 KB, prebuffer to 50% and rebuffer to 50% as well. It's actually very dependent on your internet connection.

Last thing you have to do is close & restart Winamp.

If it keeps buffering, you can also try to switch streams (there are 4 different connections for the 64k aacPlus stream). For that, click on Playlist (PL) or press ALT+E. You should have the following:

You can then double-click on one of the links. Links 2, 3 or 4 may work better than link 1.

Enjoy! Smile

*edited to add the 'switch streams trick'. Thank you Albi!*

Last edited by Alchemist on Sat May 06, 2006 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
paulw
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14314

paulw is offline View user's profile Send private message paulw's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
Here it is, Nate! (and your memory is not that bad Zoidburg Wink)

In the Winamp Menu, you have to choose Options -> Preferences. Then, in the left tab: Plugins -> Input.

Choose Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder 3.5 (in_mp3.dll) and Configure.

And then, last tab, 'Streaming'.

I usually set the data buffer to 512 KB, prebuffer to 50% and rebuffer to 50% as well. It's actually very dependent on your internet connection.

Enjoy! Smile

Thanx heaps for the info. I was having the same problem of buffer underun even though the required band width is OK at my end.

Paul W
Sweden phireangel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13973

phireangel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View phireangel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist you and albi are the best!! thanks to you I can now listen to the stream again!

And today it was tricky again and wanted to buffer all the time,, so I did it all over again , and now its working .. (dunno what happend but never mind, now I know where to look and what to choose)
HUGS!
Phire
Cadet 1

Member#: 13899

JediMickey is offline View user's profile Send private message JediMickey's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:30 pm   Post subject: **A helpful tip for those who have installation restrictions Reply with quote

**A helpful tip for those who have installation restrictions at work.**

If you have a shared drive that you can use for your own personal files, try downloading winamp and installing it to that shared drive. Then you'll be able to listen with the new encoding.

I do have a question though, the stream sometimes keeps trying to buffer and it skips like a CD skipping.

Any idea what may cause this? It is not the network traffic because I can listen to any other online radio stream and it will work just fine.

Thanks!

EDIT -
Nevermind, I saw the post above. Thanks!
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer issues will always be dependent on your connection to the server you've connected to. Altering the settings in the program you are using (Winamp, WMP, and foobar2000 all allow you to) might help, but sometimes things are simply beyond our control. Even I encounter buffering issues occasionally despite having a really good connection. It's just the nature of the beast. I have noticed most of the time that it definitely depends on the load of the server doing the streaming, like when a lot of people are connected. When I tune in during non-busy times, my playback is generally perfect. Anyways, the aacPlus link for Winamp is usually the best since at the moment you get a choice of four servers to choose from. Sometimes it helps to try the other ones, which may have a lower load or are physically closer and thus have less latency.

Regarding actually connecting at all, it is possible that this is due to the security protocols in place at where you work. I know the place where my wife works is extremely strict, sometimes blocking even the most harmless content. If you're having trouble with just getting connected, your best bet will probably be to have a chat with your IT department. There is a good chance that this is where your trouble lies. Some block very simply by port, and should not be too much of a problem to get by since I think port 80, the most common port for accessing web content (like web pages) is the same port used for streaming here at SST. Then there is the more advanced filtering, where they block by site name or IP ranges, and then the highest level, where software actually analyzes all the packets flowing through their network. If you suspect this is the problem, then your IT department is definitely the first stop you should make if you are having trouble listening to any SST at all. Especially telling is if you cannot access any streams at all from anywhere, and not just SST. If you can't listen to anything, then the trouble is very likely at your end.

If you're at home and can't connect at all, then I suppose the problem might indeed lie with your ISP. Some have started implementing programs that inspect packets as well. They do this in an attempt to control the flow of traffic like that involving Bittorrent. I've often wondered what kind of impact this has on peoples connections and overall throughput. Especially when it comes to false positives, which they surely must encounter fairly often. Beyond that, the only things I can think that should also be checked are your software firewall should you be using one (Windows XP's own is on by default I believe), or your hardware router should you be behind one.

That is about all I can think of when it comes to streams playing poorly, or not playing at all. I hope it helps. For what it's worth, I've tried to break the plug-in for Windows Media Player. I haven't been very successful though. As far as my system is concerned, it's rock stable and handles aacPlus great. Oh, the other thing that I can think of, if you're experiencing crashing for example, would be to check if you have one of those codec packs installed that you can find around the web. I know these can lead to system instability, especially with WMP, or so I've heard. Sometimes they don't play nice with each other. I've always avoided them personally, mainly because you don't know their true origin. The only other thing I have installed codec-wise is XViD. I try to install only the codecs I need as I encounter them. So far so good.

Take care all. Wink
JJ2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9724

JJ2005 is offline View user's profile Send private message JJ2005's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer freezes and slows down (99 to 100 System Idle Process) after the plugin is download. I am using Windows Media Player 10 and listen to 64k or 32k. All my processors etc. match with the recommendations that the plugin recommends on it's webpage. I did reboot my computer after I installed the plugin. I have to reboot or wait for the computer to catch up every 4-6hours of listening. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ2005 wrote:
My computer freezes and slows down (99 to 100 System Idle Process) after the plugin is download. I am using Windows Media Player 10 and listen to 64k or 32k. All my processors etc. match with the recommendations that the plugin recommends on it's webpage. I did reboot my computer after I installed the plugin. I have to reboot or wait for the computer to catch up every 4-6hours of listening. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.

99% to 100% on the system idle process in Windows is completely normal, and is what a PC should idealy be at when it's just sitting there doing nothing. It helps keep the CPU cool when not needed.

What kind of PC do you have? Perhaps giving your specs might help with a diagnosis. I think aacPlus is system intensive to process, though I might be wrong about that too. Not my field of expertise. Maybe I'm thinking of MP4 video lol. Ah well, I'll do my best to help if I can. Also, how long have you been running your current installation of Windows XP, and do you think you have anything else installed that might be conflicting with WMP and the accPlus codec, such as other codecs, and perhaps drivers even? People don't like to hear it, particularly since Microsoft says it quite often, but a lot of issues can indeed be traced to faulty hardware drivers. Worth looking into anyways, maybe make sure they are all up to date.
Mollymauk
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14213

Mollymauk is offline View user's profile Send private message Mollymauk's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

**A helpful tip for those who have installation restrictions
**A helpful tip for those who have installation restrictions at work.**

If you have a shared drive that you can use for your own personal files, try downloading winamp and installing it to that shared drive. Then you'll be able to listen with the new encoding.

Aye, there's the rub. Where I work, Thou Shalt Not Download New Programs. We have RealPlayer, Windows Media and ITunes. iTunes is virtually worthless, except for playing CDs. Windows Media Player does fine for video clips, but for music--pfffft. I relied heavily on RealPlayer.

I'll keep poking my nose in; one of these days, we (royal we!) will get the RealPlayer problem fixed, and I'll be able to listen again. Boyyyyy, do I miss my soundtrack music!

To all who are trying to solve the problems: many thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: