StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

aacPlus Streaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:02 pm   Post subject: aacPlus Streaming Reply with quote

All of SST's MP3/mp3PRO streams have been converted to aacPlus. aacPlus offers better sound quality than mp3PRO at the same bitrate. I will continue to update this post as I know more.

Troubleshooting Checklist
    Winamp: Make sure "Enable (use mp3PRO Decoder for all .mp3 files) is off. (Winamp Preferences > Plugins > Input > THOMSON)
    Windows Media Player: Install this plugin, reboot, then click the listen icon.
List of Supported Players
    Winamp 5.2x (Windows)
    foobar2000 (Windows)
    VLC media player (Cross Platform)
For those of you listening via iTunes you can find SST in the iTunes radio directory. You also may be able to listen through iTunes via Live365. Either way, the sound quality will not be as good as regular Live365 or the other streams.

RealAudio users can listen through Live365.

For people that listen to SST at work with WMP and have restrictions on their PCs that prohibit them from installing the plug-in or Winamp I am working on a solution for that.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
limeychick
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 13685

limeychick is offline View user's profile Send private message limeychick's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of unhappy with the change... I listen with iTunes, and before the change, it would list the track as Film Name - Composer - Track Name. Now it is Composer- Track Name - Film Name.

Which means that when I use Front Row, I can't tell what film it is from.

I miss the old way... Sad wish there was a different way the track info could be displayed.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's at my end or something other people have found but since the changes I can't listen to SST on WMP, Real or Live365 anymore. I'll keep trying.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent! Cool

SST rules!

(I took this opportunity to finally upgrade from winamp 2.9 to winamp 5.2 lite Smile)
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

AACPlus encoding for the win Very Happy

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

limeychick:
If you have been listening with iTunes this whole time you were hearing poor quality. If possible use another player to listen. I think you will be happy that you did.

mellowman:
Make sure the WMP plugin is installed and you have to reboot. Let me know the details of your problems and I will help.

USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need one thing clarified. Has the Itunes sound quality decreased since this change or has it remained the same?
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
limeychick
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 13685

limeychick is offline View user's profile Send private message limeychick's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really no big deal... actually this is a limitation of the program I use, Front Row, in conjunction with iTunes. Front Row doesn't scroll the track information, so all you get is the first part. It's quite annoying but not SST's fault. Although with the old iTunes stream, the track info was displayed Film-Composer-Trackname, so I could see what film the track was from even though the trackname was cut off. But Live365 (which is the only option for iTunes now) displays it as Composer-Trackname-Film, which is less informative because the film name gets cut off.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure!

(Front Row is a program for the Mac which, among other things, displays track info in huge letters you can read from across the room, if you want to loaf around in bed and listen to SST with a remote control...which I have been enjoying doing lately! FrontRow needs some improvement.)

I'll stick to iTunes, thanks... the sound quality really doesn't matter that much to me in the long run.
I don't want to have to have a whole different audio program running just so I can listen to SST. (don't y'all have any other Mac listeners besides me though?)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_Cage wrote:
I just need one thing clarified. Has the Itunes sound quality decreased since this change or has it remained the same?

Whenever listening though iTunes you were only hearing 22kHz instead of 44kHz. This has always been the case and still is. mp3PRO is pretty much a dead format. We should see more support for aacPlus soon. Maybe even iTunes since it already supports plain ole AAC.

USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's good to know, since ITunes is my only option at work and I've always been well-satisfied with it.

Now I just have my home stream to worry about.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
limeychick:
If you have been listening with iTunes this whole time you were hearing poor quality. If possible use another player to listen. I think you will be happy that you did.

Shocked Wow, you learn something new every day!

I've listened with iTunes from day 1, and I've never been bothered by the sound quality. So actually, I didn't believe Jeric when he said iTunes will have poor quality. Confused But then I checked my player, and sure enough: 22 kHz! Sad Embarassed

I guess the reason I never noticed is because I always listen at work with cruddy old multimedia speakers and the volume turned way down. Maybe I should bring my headphones from home and try WMP...... Wink

As always, thanks Jeric for keeping the site so up-to-date and for helping us all along with it! Mr. Green
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm searching for solutions for the Linux side (when I have time). I suspect that VLC will work but I don't run it. For now I'm running XMMS with the OGG stream, and I'm looking into the beep-media-player as well.

I'll probably have more time to find a solution if/when Verizon gets around to installing my FiOS service. (woohoo)

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that explains why my usual streams through iTunes weren't working. That's annoying, because now I have to listen through the Radio feature. Although this morning, it didn't begin with an advert, which was why I usually don't listen that way. Does anyone know if I got lucky, or if the Radio version of SST will no longer play Live365 adverts? 'Cause if that's the case, then I'll stick with iTunes radio, because with these tiny, tinny speakers it don't make no nevermind what the sound quality is.

Thanks for the clarifying thread!
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14213

Mollymauk is offline View user's profile Send private message Mollymauk's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of those poor schlubs who listens to SST while at work, my access to audio is very limited. (I'm surprised I've gotten away with listening at all, to be honest.) Even though iTunes is loaded on the computer, almost none of the radio stations work, including SST. The only thing I've gotten to work is RealPlayer.

I'm already going through withdrawl! Until I get something figured out, this is going to be a long, hard row to hoe.

Cat (Mollymauk)
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

http://winamp.com/
http://www.foobar2000.org/
http://www.videolan.org/

and

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.mspx

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: