StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Remove: 32 min track from Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Orator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

cut or delete Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio - Part I: Offertorium
cut it for all fans of the track
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
delete the track
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
let it be 32 min
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
don´t know
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit ironic though. POD wants to have long tracks removed.

He is also the one with the highest average requesting time of a whooping 7 minutes of our top 100 requesters.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

payableondeath wrote:
mellowman wrote:

Also, I kind of get the feeling POD wanted this thread to bring up other tracks that are "too long" for the playlist (correct me if I'm mistaken, POD).

yes right mellow (discuss we like it? maybe cut it?) and that this goldenthal track, cut in several tracks or cleared from the playlist...
but jeric renamed the topic with appropriate title.... Mad Evil or Very Mad

but nice to see that this go with cut we should make this with "alabama - crimson tide" Mr. Green

I think each long track should be dealt with in its own way. If there is another track you would like removed try to use the same title format I used and form it into a poll.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Germany payableondeath
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12372

payableondeath is offline View user's profile Send private message View payableondeath's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thats an argument jeric i make this when i have one....

and CAL but i dont request over 10 min and leave... and when it´s go over 10 i ask if its ok for the rest of listeners....

thats a fact...

and i´m under the top 100 requesters cool can i see the list????? Mr. Green

PS: i have insert an vote... and i have vote for cut...
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Irulan wrote:
Maybe this is an stupid idea but if there would be some form to annul requests if the one that has requested leaves, this would not solve the problem of the long tracks, but it would avoid the bad intentions at least.

For example, if I request a song and I leave, my request automatically would be eliminated.

This has been suggested before. I don't think it works, for the reaons that lastdomino said above. Sometimes people request and have to sign out, for work reasons. I know I've done it because the chat can be very distracting and only by signing out can I keep my eye on the queue and not see the chat. But if I have a request in the queue, I'm listening. Even if you can't see me.

I can understand that this piece has fans. Passionate fans. And that's good. But it can be hard to warm up to something you only hear here, once in a blue moon. Cutting it up may be a viable option.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of this particular cue but my vote is: let it be 32

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Irulan wrote:
Maybe this is an stupid idea but if there would be some form to annul requests if the one that has requested leaves, this would not solve the problem of the long tracks, but it would avoid the bad intentions at least.

For example, if I request a song and I leave, my request automatically would be eliminated.At least, when somebody requests long tracks or "little popular", that is because wants to listen to it.

I dunno if it´s tecnically possible or not, it´s only an idea (and probably not very well expressed, but... Smile )

while an interesting idea.... how do we know if some one left? I constantly request something then shut the browser down... effectively leaving the site... but I still have my player locked on SST... so that isn't going to work....

As for the topic on hand.... I'm torn...on one hand I can see the bene of trimming some selections.... as long as they aren't ones I want... Wink and there's the rub.... NIMBYism at it's best... hack everyone else's stuff, as long as it isn't one of my favorites. I don't think there is a good answer. Certanly not a one size fits all. And at what point does something becomes too long? Only as long as it takes to be annoying. There are 4 min songs that I think are "too long" ... but I ususaly pull my headphones off at that point. On the other hand, I enjoy some 10 min songs too.

Dunno....

-tg
OptimisprimalX
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 13611

OptimisprimalX is offline View user's profile Send private message OptimisprimalX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's very appropriate to cut the piece completely due to length, because there are lots of people that like it (I for one haven't heard it yet). I think it is somewhat odd to slice it up, but it's not the end of the world. In fact I think there can be some benifits to cutting it up.

Alabama from Crimson Tide is one of my favorite tracks on that album, but only because of the last 8 minutes or so. In other words, if that 18 minute piece was cut in half, I'd only request the second half, which would save everyone that doesn't like it a huge hassle and would make me get to the good part better.

Cutting it up is probably a pretty good idea.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a wet blanket, especially one that contradicts her previous statements, but...

Cutting the piece up and presenting it as many tracks may not be legal. Specifically, creating excerpts would be creating derivative works, which technically you are not allowed to do with works still under copyright. Do it all you like with Gilbert and Sullivan, but not with recent recordings.

I say this not because my husband is an IP lawyer (though he is) and not because I think cutting the pieces up is a bad idea (which it isn't, necessarily). Basically, I don't want JERIC getting into any trouble with the RIAA over something like this. (For those of you keeping score, they're the ones really enforcing rules like this, not the federal government, as was suggested on chat yesterday.)

Then again, I don't know how the radio license JERIC has obtained is worded, so maybe he can cut tracks apart and fear nothing. Obviously, this is for him to know and find out.

But I wanted to mention it, because we know the RIAA has been leaning on internet radio of late, and we don't want them leaning on us.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Frog Dreaming and Wild Duck has
been successfully separated, while
keeping ALL of the music.

Each suite will have 9 tracks.

THE MUSIC HAS BEEN SAVED! Wink
good as good. Herein lies evil.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful, Pete. Even if all the music is still there, it might not be %100 kosher.
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lastdomino wrote:
Being a listener of SST I have to expect that to be able to request songs I like, I have to and must be able to accept the tastes of others as well. In fact, I would prefer it that way. I have been introduced to some great music through this wonderful station.

Well said lastdomino, my sentiments exactly. I don't really care for that track (Offertorium). I have never requested it and quite frankly never will. I also took the oppurtunity to make some jokes at it's expense in the chat when it played.

That having been said, I think the whole idea of deleting tracks due to length is offensive. Nobody is being forced to listen to anything. No SST listeners are under any compulsion to request something that they don't like. If someone doesn't care to hear something, then don't listen. It's that simple.

What I have learned from my time at SST is that listening to my own requests is not the highlight of my day here, but being exposed to things that I never would have known about is what I take away from my listening experience. Hearing new music is why I come here now. Do I hear songs that I would rather not from time to time? Of course, but I wouldn't limit myself (or worse yet have someone else limit what I can listen to) just to avoid those very few peices. I like to expand my artistic and musical horizons, not shrink them. But, that's just me. Keep it.
USA PeteC VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just separated the En-
chanted April Suite, as well
as the Lady Carolyn Lamb
tracks, for Jeric.

This is beautiful music, which
will now be enjoyed by more of
us, during the day! I know you
will like how it came out!

Cynthia Millar's work, on En-
chanted April is just simply,
enchanting! Wink
good as good. Herein lies evil.

Last edited by PeteC on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Pete thx:)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Pete, nicely done. Thank you.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the best Pete! Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: