StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Mac users and the new streams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:11 am   Post subject: Mac users and the new streams Reply with quote

I thought I'd set up a topic for us Mac people. There have to be more of them out there, stymied by the new streams. Okay, not stymied, just sighing a lot. I was hoping we could discuss our streaming options and help each other out a little.

So far, I have only been able to get the streams to work in two ways:

1) iTunes. Specifically, iTunes radio. I haven't tried the new downloadable streams to the left on iTunes. The radio works well, but is irritating because the stream is of less high quality, which means we can't hear all that new Lossless ripping JERIC's been doing. Plus, you have to listen to an advert before it starts. However, it does show track name, CD name, and artist in a scrolling window.

2) VLC player. I have been able to get the Ogg stream (somebody tell me what the heck Ogg is?) to work with this. The sound quality is good, but there is always a half-second pause between songs. Is this normal? Can it be fixed?

Also, it only gives me artist and track name, which is less helpful when I'm not familiar with the soundtrack.

I welcome any comments or suggestions here, please.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks, j2. That was more information than I know how to understand, and thus, I'm afraid, not very helpful.

Does anyone know why the stream hiccups between songs? And please don't suggest a glass of water; I've already been through that in the chat.
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you are having so many troubles Ladyinqueue but unfortunately I do not us Mac. I know it is frustrating when you cannot get the thing working.

I will do my best to recruit people in the chat to help answer your questions. Good Luck and hope you get SST back up and running smoothly soon.

Nate
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Mac users and the new streams Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is helpful since I don't have any experience on a Mac, but here goes Smile

1) All I know is that AAC is the default format for iTunes and iPod nowadays. If anything should be able to play those streams, it's iTunes. I don't know any other players for Mac so I can't help you there...

2) OGG is basically the same as MP3: a way to compress sound. Its characteristics differ a bit from MP3 and it's usually said to produce better audio quality in the higher frequency ranges. Overall it's considered to be superior to MP3 (better sound quality in the same amount of data). I hope this makes sense, otherwise please ask me Smile

I tried my VLC player (version 0.8.4a) and it is also able to play the aacPlus streams. I suggest you install the latest version of VLC player if you don't already have it (assuming you know how this can be done) and then you can at least use other streams (which doesn't guarantee the pause issue will be gone Confused)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you j2, nate, and albi for answering my post, even though you don't swing that way. (Mac-way, I mean.)

I will continue to fiddle with my players. Going to be a bit of an adjustment.

For the record, the 64k ogg stream shows up in iTunes after I drag and drop it there, but cannot be played. Maybe my iTunes needs updating, but I feed very cranky and old right now.
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1009

DT76 is offline View user's profile Send private message DT76's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use mac, and here's my take:
iTunes still works with the mp3 stream, though I was dissapointed about the lower quality. You can get realone player to work as well. I did this by copying the url from itunes and having realplayer connect to it. If you set it as a favorite, this only needs to be done once, but there's no track info and I can't be sure it's not also playing at just 22 kHz. I've never really used realone so I have no idea about the pausing and other features I've heard people mention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: