StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Should duplicate tracks be removed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should duplicate tracks be dropped?
Yes.
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
No.
80%
 80%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 47

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:10 am   Post subject: Should duplicate tracks be removed? Reply with quote

There are some duplications in the playlist. For example, "Wedding" from "Bliss" is represented twice in the playlist, once on the Bliss soundtrack, and once on a compilation (Varese Sarabande 25th anniversary.) I know this, because both were requested today, and will be heard within 2.5 hours of each other.

This is not the only track to be so doubled. "Klendathu Drop" comes to mind, as does that Phil Collins song about the edge of night.

Might not these doubles be removed or somehow linked, so that they don't repeat during the same week (or the same day?)

What do you think, true believers?
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Can/Should duplicate tracks be removed? Reply with quote

Two things come to mind about the duplicates.

1. Something is different about each recording. For example the conductor or orchestra is different. I don't know off hand which tracks may have different conductors or orchestras, I am guessing that they are there.

2. The duplicate is a mix of several tracks from the album. For example the Batman track on Danny Elfman's Music For A Darkened Theater is a combination of 2 (or 3) tracks from the original score. Batman is the only example I have, there may be more.

I think it is good to keep the duplicates on the playlist. And I agree to linking the duplicates that are identical, but not the ones that offer something different. That said... it seems to me that it would be an extremely large project to implement and may not be worth the time.

LadyInque wrote:
What do you think, true believers?

True believers? Didn't Stan Lee trademark that? Wink Very Happy

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously some of the tracks, especially on retrospective albums, are montages or different arrangements. And I can see your point about different orchestras and conductors, though with something like the VS 25th Anniversary collection I don't think that's the case.

And seriously, what benefits do we derive from having two copies of the same recording of "Edge of Night."

Well, whatever. I'm obviously in the minority here. But seriously, if something was just played, don't go looking to play it again the same day, even if you can. It kind of makes the lady who says "no repeats all week" sound silly.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I say too much trouble for the admins. I can spend my rare spare time better at SST.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, this isn't a major problem. It's not as though there are huge numbers of duplicated tracks. Besides, I happen to like "Klendathu Drop." Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, fair enough. Forget I said anything.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:05 am   Post subject: Re: Can/Should duplicate tracks be removed? Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
There are some duplications in the playlist.

This is one reason Jeric isn't fond of compilation albums.

Fortunately though, duplications in the queue don't happen very often.

Thanks, LadyI, for all your great posts. Keep 'em coming!
Dragon, excellent points, too. Thanks!
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Okay, fair enough. Forget I said anything.

I can't forget that you said anything. You had a question and a concern LadyInque and you brought it up.

The fact that we, as a community, can discuss issues like this is what makes Streaming Soundtracks such an awesome place on the internet.

So, even if many people are against the idea, you had the courage to express that thought and I, and I'm sure others, thank you for doing so. Otherwise this question would still be floating in the realm of unasked questions, unrealized ideas, and missing socks. Smile

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
The fact that we, as a community, can discuss issues like this is what makes Streaming Soundtracks such an awesome place on the internet.

Cheers to that... you couldn't be more right, Dragon. Places where you can have reasonable discussions are rare on the Internet... and SST is a great one. Smile
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think exact duplicates should be removed. As Lady pointed out, it contradicts the "8-day no repeats" rule. However, identical tracks with different styles or lengths should be kept as they are.

Just my opinion.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeats should be reported to me. If they are similar in track length and are sound almost identical I will remove the track that sounds worse or if they are exactly the same I will remove the one that is on a compilation CD.

*Stickied this post so you can submit redundant tracks here*

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Eye of the Tiger" - Rocky III and Rocky IV
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."

Last edited by Johnny_Cage on Tue May 23, 2006 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No not the two EotTs!

Those two bring back memories :-/
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ottman, Cruel Intentions, "Pussy."

On both VS 25th anniversary vol.2, and Cruel Intentions albums in the playlist.

The song is about a cat, right?

(J/K. I've seen this movie. And I LIKE it!)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get rid of Mini Driver's song at the end of Phantom Of The Opera.... not a double, but it should still burn!Smile
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: