StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

When and where do you go to the movies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

When and where do you go to the movies?
Cinema: Same day as release
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Cinema: 1-5 days after release
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Cinema: 1-4 weeks after release
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Cinema: 1-3 months after release
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Cinema: 3-6 months after release
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DVD - shop rental: 6-12 months after release
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
DVD - online rental: 6-12 months after release
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Video On Demand (download): 6-12 months after release
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Cable/Pay TV: >12 months after release
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Free-To-Air TV: >12 months after release
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Rent Free from Library: >12 months after release
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:38 am   Post subject: When and where do you go to the movies? Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this topic for a while and when I saw utep's question I thought now was as good a time as any to post it.

The poll question basically asks: where do you go to watch a movie for the first time, and how soon after its release?

I realise that some people vary their moviegoing habits, so I am asking when and where do you go most often, or more often than any other time. To help further narrow down the scope of this question, I based the options on:
1. The current 'waterfall' release pattern for most mainstream movies i.e. Studio -> Cinema -> DVD -> Cable -> Free-to-Air TV
2. Those major studio movies that are given a wide release (e.g. this summer's Mission Impossible 3, X-Men 3, The Da Vinci Code, Superman Returns, Cars, Pirates of The Caribbean 2, etc).
3. Those award-seeking prestige movies that are released at year's end. (e.g. last year's nominees Brokerback Mountain, Crash, Goodnight and Good Luck, Capote, Munich, etc)
I am assuming most people would have seen or will see these movies because they are high profile and I predict that any future change in moviegoing habits will have the biggest impact on the film industry if they effect where and when you see these types of movies.

For those who still couldn't chose one option, I have included the forum options here so you can copy them to your post and rank them or assign a value to better reflect your choices:

1. Cinema: Same day as release
2. Cinema: 1-5 days after release
3. Cinema: 1-4 weeks
4. Cinema: 1-3 months
5. Cinema: 3-6 months
6. DVD shop rental: 6-12 months
7. DVD online rental: 6-12 months
8. Video on Demand (download): 6-12 months
9. Cable/Pay TV: >12 months
10. Free-To-Air TV: >12 months
11. Rent free from Library: > 12 months

The last movie I went to see at the cinema was X-Men 2 in 2003. Since then I have watched all new movies on DVD, so I would pick Option 7. I rarely watch films on TV now, except when they are shown on channels that don't have ad breaks. I can't see myself ever going back to the cinema. It stopped being a social experience after I left Univesity, and now that I am working, time, money and convenience play a big part in where I see movies. But I was curious to see if I am the only one who has taken this path.

There is also a wider issue at stake here. When Steven Soderbergh released Bubble in cinemas and on DVD in the same week earlier this year, it raised murmurings in the film industry about the future of cinema, particularly as the 'release window' between the theatrical and DVD release of movies gets narrower each year. So I thought it would be interesting to also ask this question: If this year's summer movies were release simultaneously in cinemas and on DVD, Cable and the Internet, would you change your moviegoing habits?

I am really interested to hear your thoughts.
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply couldn't answer that question. Some movies I go to on the first night, some I go to in the cinema after a few days or few weeks, some I rent on DVD, some I see on TV. Occasionally I even get them from the library for free.

BUT

I'm more likely to rent a movie if I noticed it running in theatres. I tend to assume that a movie is less likely to entertain me if it never had a theatrical release.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

About 99% of the time, we see movies opening day at the theatre. It's very rare that we miss a weekend.

edit: sorry I missed the 2nd part of the question.

If movies were released on DVD and in the theatre, I'd still go to the theatre. Nothing beats seeing a movie on the big screen and surround sound. Wink
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what the film is - if it's Harry Potter or something I'm really excited about, I preorder tickets to see opening weekend. If I'm not dying to see it, then I might catch it as a matinee a week later. After that, I kind of lose steam and wait for it on Netflix.

If releases were simultaneous, I'd still see it in the theater first. You can catch more details on a larger screen and it's more fun to see a film with an appreciative crowd.
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We are about 50-50. If we can't wait, we will go to the theatre right away, other than that, we wait until it comes out on direct tv and buy it. I don't like going to the rental store and our local discount movie house is digusting and dirty inside
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare for me to go to the theater as of late (at least for the past three years), unless someone I like asks me out. I think I've grown tired of screaming audiences, chit-chatters, cell phones, you get the idea.

There's nothing more precious for me than sit in my own space and watch the new stuff on DVD's (and just got the new blue rays discs, can't wait!).

I guess you could say I'm addicted to movies in general but I'm quite weird when it comes to the actual watching. Film for me is sort of a very private thing and I usually do not enjoy watching movies with other people (unless it's someone I really like and enjoy his/her company), plus I think not many people stand watching a film with me, because I tend to crank up the volume REAL good.

For me it's not only fun, it's almost religious.

"A Puritan is a person who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having a good time."
-- H.L. Mencken
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow....you didn't give an option for going to cinema before release!!! lol
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to frequent the theater once a week or so, usually to see the previous week's release (unless it was something really special, like Star Wars, in which case I would brave the lines to see it opening night). Cool

After having one and now two children, however, it's online rentals almost exclusively. We almost never make it to the theater anymore. Sad

If movies were released on all formats at once? I doubt my habits would change, but:

Hurr78 wrote:
I'm more likely to rent a movie if I noticed it running in theatres. I tend to assume that a movie is less likely to entertain me if it never had a theatrical release.

Hurr makes a good point.

If I had more time, I'd still go to the cinema, even with concurrent release on DVD. For me, there's just something magical in the air with the crowds, the big screens and big sound, the popcorn... Jeez, I need to find a sitter this weekend!
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It differs a lot for me.

For example all three LotR movies I saw in the cinema before the opening weekend (release day or day after that).
Some movies I see in the first two months, but I see most on (Free-to-Air) TV.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it Depends. the last one i was it was like a week after it came out. I've kind of been ticked about paying abunch of money and have to watch 10mins
of tv ads before the movie starts so i go only if
i think it's a must to see i guess.
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as my wife and I can get rid of all 3 kids we usually go on the Sat or Sun after the release. Of course that's only if it is movie worth going through all that effort.
Ensign

Member#: 4630

krissles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website krissles's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most times I go on the first Sunday after it's released. If I'm completely obsessed - then I go the day it comes out, which is usually a Thursday (is that when movies come out for everyone else?)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually released on Friday in the US, but for big releases you'll get a 12:01am showing, which is effectively Thursday for most folks.

jeff
sgd
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the movie. I could choose almost any of those options.
Some movies don't matter if it's big screen or not.
Some I can't wait for, others my kids can't wait for.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it is a movie I REALLY want to see I no longer see movies in the theatre. Just a pain nowadays it seems and the prices always seem to be going up. By the time I pay for everything I could have bought the DVD Shocked .

So, most movies I just rent and I have one of the online programs where I get three movies at a time. For the most part I rent all of the movies unless it is a movie I really want to own. I used to buy movies all the time rather than rent but these online programs make it so much easier to rent and it is more cost effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: