StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Film scores on iTunes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you like the idea of buying film music by the track?
Sure, it's great and saves money!
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
No way! Must have stacks and stacks of discs!!
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
I don't know / I don't care
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 29

USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:06 pm   Post subject: Film scores on iTunes Reply with quote

Hi SST! Smile

I have found that the number of film scores available for purchase on iTunes has increased dramatically in the last year or so. OK, you still won't find many of the classics, i.e. pre-1990s. However, a large number of new scores by the most popular composers are available for download there.

Now, the purists out there are going to get all up in arms, but I have found buying film music by the song can be a potentially great way of obtaining great music on a budget.** It will be different for everyone, of course, but while some scores definitely warrant (demand!) purchase of the whole score, others only contain three or four real outstanding cues, while the rest are mostly incidental or atmospheric music. I think iTunes is a great way to spend, say, $3 or $4 to get the great cues and not spend $15 on a disc, of which you might skip the majority of the tracks. What do you think? Question[Poll]

Of course iTunes has the annoying habit of making some of the longer (and better) tracks available only by purchase of the WHOLE ALBUM. Mad (That kind of wrecks the whole point!) Also, there are simply many, many scores that just are not available on iTunes, which brings me to the point:

Idea If you are interested in buying soundtracks on iTunes, either for the whole album, or specific tracks, you can go to their feedback page and request an augmentation of a genre (Soundtracks!), or request to add a particular album or composer. It may be just a coincidence, but on two occasions now, I have made such requests and found a couple of months later that my requested artist or album was now available! Surprised

So let's flood that request page and get our favorite STs available!

**Disclaimer: I am not an employee of, nor affiliated in any way with, Apple Computers, Inc; iTunes; or any record label or distributor, corporate or independent.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing where they make you buy the whole album is stinky, but it may not be iTunes's fault. I think the label decides what to offer, and how. Seriously, why would iTunes mess with our heads on a few albums and not others? What frosts my cookies is that some Broadway albums are only sold by the song. And we're talking about a lot of tracks on some of them.

I agree with you, Luther, about the economy of it. Even used, I will not find a recent CD for less than what I would pay at iTunes for the tracks I want, if I only want a few. If I want more than a few, well, I'd rather have the phyiscal CD, because I'm old-fashioned, and I don't always trust electronic music to be there in the future.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Music services must get permission to offer individual tracks for sale. Also, internet Juke Box services must also get permission to play complete tracks from albums. Many film scores are are not made available to Juke Box services, whether the music can be burned for a fee or not....

As to puchasing indiviual tracks, I can certainly see doing that, particualary for "songs" fom Musicals, and title tracks. But for the other "shorter" tracks... like one to 1 1/2 minutes, etc.... there, that would be a losing propostition.

What I'd rather purchase instead, are "Suites" of music from films. That would be acceptable, and economical.

Of course, for my most favorite films.... I would spring for the CD, just to have it, with the packaging, etc.

But it would be nice to purchase favorite individual trakcs from time to time, rahter than laying down $15 for a CD that could have only one or two really great tracks.....

Last edited by Sound_Track on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound_Track wrote:

What I'd rather purchase instead, are "Suites" of music from films. That would acceptable, and economical.

It sounds like you would enjoy many of the compilation discs that are out there. Some of these are even available on iTunes, like The Great Fantasy Adventure Album, The Fantasy Album, and Cinema Choral Classics. (I'm not sure how to link to iTunes.) You could also purchase end titles, which often are suites containing most of the themes in a film.

Wink
Belgium jazzthieve
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14542

jazzthieve is offline View user's profile Send private message jazzthieve's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

9 out of 10 compilation albums use inferior orchestras a nd don't sound as good as the original. I have never met a compilation album that uses the original tracks from the soundtracks. Of course there are exceptions.
I like Sound_track's idea about suites, that would be nice.
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzthieve wrote:
9 out of 10 compilation albums use inferior orchestras a nd don't sound as good as the original. I have never met a compilation album that uses the original tracks from the soundtracks. Of course there are exceptions.

Hey jazz, I agree with you about compilations. I have also never heard a recording on one that I like as much as the original. I just thought they would be the most likely source for the suites S_T is looking for. Smile
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
jazzthieve wrote:

Hey jazz, I agree with you about compilations. I have also never heard a recording on one that I like as much as the original. I just thought they would be the most likely source for the suites S_T is looking for. Smile

Of the relatively few soundtracks that I have ever purchased (under 30 overall), some of the ones that I like the best are:

CINEMA PARADISO : THE CLASSIC ENNIO MORRICONE (City of Prague Philharmonic)

JOHN WILLIAMS CONDUCTS JOHN WILLIAMS -- THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra)

THE FANTASY FILM WORLD OF BERNARD HERRMANN (The National Philharmonic Orchestra)

These re-recordings, while not the "Originals", give me great pleasure to listen to.

So I search for the exception to the general rule, that 9 out of 10 compilation albums use inferior orchestras and don't sound as good as the original ! Very Happy Very Happy
Ruka
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14735

Ruka is offline View user's profile Send private message Ruka's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to go is CD. 128kbps recordings can't replicate the quality necessary for good sound; if you're going to pay for it, why pay for an inferior product? Plus all that DRM crap Apple puts on the tracks forces you to use itunes.
paulw
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14314

paulw is offline View user's profile Send private message paulw's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "Don't Know , don't care" as we still can't get access to itunes in the country where I live.. So it's buy the CD from the US or download MP3s from news groups. However 128Kbs doesn’t really fill me with excitement..

Paul W
USA Lieserl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 9262

Lieserl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Lieserl's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:51 am   Post subject: soundtracks on itunes Reply with quote

iTunes store is a good way to get cheaper music. That way i dont have to spend (insert ridiculous price) on some epic Zimmer that's just been released, I can pick and choose favorites from the ST, (after careful research here on SST Wink) and save my real moneys to go find the older, rarer ones in real-life cd form.

It's good stuff!

And that's my small cents.
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, having files instead of an actual disc doesn't work for me, but I'm anal retentive like that.

What I really need is a bigger bookcase!

"A Puritan is a person who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having a good time."
-- H.L. Mencken
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, Diane26.

I can't really make the argument about preferring the high quality of CDs and hating iTunes, because all of my scores and most of my music has been ripped to my computer, where I listen to it almost exclusively on iTunes. This is how I hear most of my music. So clearly the sound quality doesn't bother me. I have such adorable tiny speakers on my computer that it probably doesn't make any real difference.

But I just don't trust the electonic files to be there always. That's why, in the end, I'd rather have the CD, tangible, in my hand. On my shelf, anyway. Besides, that's the only way you get the cool liner notes, with the director saying he or she always wanted this score (forget the three composers who got fired) and the words in Elvish and the name of the second violin and the glorious pictures of Marton Csokas (to name the highlights of some of the inserts for CDs I own).

But I'm not buying a whole CD for one track I like. So the compromise that is the iTunes store mostly works for me there.
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 10387

MikeTheRaptor is offline View user's profile Send private message MikeTheRaptor's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I rarely purchase music by the track on iTunes, I must say that I am grateful for iTunes' popularity and selection of music.

Videogame soundtracks, an increasing number of which are being recorded in superior quality, are more easily accessible.

Film score composer Michael Giacchino started in gaming, and now all of his early orchestral work with the Medal of Honor game series is available for purchase and download. For a long time, these CD's were tough to find - Electronic Arts (major gaming co.) wanted a more affordable way to distribute game music. For many companies, iTunes provides this.

In fact, the insanely popular game company Square-Enix (Final Fantasy Series) recently signed a deal with iTunes to have their soundtracks made available, as well. Previously, fans were forced to pay ridiculous amounts for imported CD's that were often bootleg and allowed the original composer no royalties.

For better or worse, iTunes makes rare CD's easily accesible and cheap. As far as this quality arguement goes, I suppose you could say you get what you pay for.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't really know which option suits me best.

On the principle, I like the idea of buying a track or an album without having a physical CD. I rip all my music to my computer using the FLAC (lossless) format and usually forget about the CD. Except when the CD case is really nice Smile

Now, being bound to one DRM / player system sounds bad to me. I want to use free players such as FooBar or Winamp. I dislike Windows Media Player, iTunes and RealPlayer.

I think I'll keep my stack of CDs for now Wink
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i-tunes is a FABULOUS way to buy ST's...... What REALLY annoys me though is the fact that there is SOOOO much more available on the American site than the British one, which is just completley STUPID!!!!

I don't buy single tracks (though there is one that I would like to get) And the reason that some tracks make you pay for the whole album is to do with the length of the track. Because all the singles on i-tunes are the same price they have to put a cap on the length of track you can buy as a single. Otherwise it aint fair that a 1 min track could cost the same as a 20min one!

I do have quite a few bought cd's.....but they just take up space now cos all I end up doing with them is upload them onto my i-tunes and play them on that! So I generally don't buy cd's any more if I can help it!

Morph Smile
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: