StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Film scores on iTunes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you like the idea of buying film music by the track?
Sure, it's great and saves money!
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
No way! Must have stacks and stacks of discs!!
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
I don't know / I don't care
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 29

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A month ago I would have said "I don't care" about this issue. I've only ever bought CD's. That was until I heard about four albums in the last week which I would have snapped up yesterday, until I found out they could only be purchased at iTunes:

Evil (Francis Shaw) is lovely, and I also found the track samples of Half-light (Brett Rosenberg) very impressive. The suite I heard from The Sisters (Thomas Morse) is simply gorgeous, and ranks just behind Mother of Mine as my favourite music heard so far this year IMHO! You can hear track samples at Movie Score Media.

I have only heard good reviews about Eight Below. At movie-wave, James Southall ends his review with a tirade about this particular soundtrack being available only at iTunes.

There is also a real ding-dong battle about this same issue at both the Film Score Monthly and Movie Music UK forums.

The four soundtracks I have listed here symbolise the dilemma at the heart of this issue: direct-download music allows lesser known composers and scores a chance to be heard and purchased by music lovers, but at the same time, are we ready for scores distributed by Disney and/or by high-profile composers like Mark Isham to be sold in this way, in what is arguably inferior quality?

The other negative is that I don't think SST can put these scores on it's website(?)

I had decided not to get the iTunes software because I heard it uses a lot of computer resources and the system requirements would push my 6-year old computer to the limit. My hard drive has already crashed once. Now, I'm not so sure. I MUST have The Sisters soundtrack! Razz

I can only say my position on this issue is now "I don't know".
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that if JERIC is a legitimate owner of a track, even downloaded from iTunes, that "he" (i.e. SST) can broadcast it.

Comments, admins?
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
I'm fairly certain that if JERIC is a legitimate owner of a track, even downloaded from iTunes, that "he" (i.e. SST) can broadcast it.

Comments, admins?

That would be cool, but I wonder if JERIC would want to upload 128k AAC audio files. He may prefer a higher compression rate or uncompressed audio files. Either way I imagine he would want them to be the same as the quality of the audio files that come from CD's.
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think it all depends on how you feel about it, what you find acceptable and what works best for you. i have downloaded a bunch on itunes but id prefer to have the physical cd in my collection over downloading.

itunes: Advantages

1. Instant purchase/listening hassel free (don't have to go to the store, wait on lines or wait for it to come in the mail etc)
2. No shipping and No tax
3. Have the ability to burn on CD
4. Usually cheaper than in store prices

itunes Disadvantages:

1. Set audio quality (128kbps AAC)
2. No physical booklet/ artwork etc.
3. May not have all albums available for download or only have partial albums.
4. May not be able to download single tracks

CD Advantages:

1. Can import at any bitrate (16kbps - 320kbps)
2. Can import in different formats ACC, MP3, WAV, Apple Lossless, AIFF
3. Always have the physical official CD for back up.
4. Physical booklet/ inserts/ case and artwork

CD Disadvantages:

1. Albums may be more expensive
2. May not always be convienent to go to the store
3. More time consuming/ wait for shipping or wait on store lines etc.
4. Takes up more self space
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We can accept iTunes albums only if they are exclusive to iTunes. If the album is available at other merchants then we need to have the hard copy. Please contact me if you plan on contributing an iTunes album.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JERIC. I have sent you an email.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why some people insist that a 128kbps 'recording' is so very much inferior to a CD quality recording. Quite frankly, I don't hear a difference. Of course, that may be because I own truly crappy PC loudspeakers or because I ruined my ears some way or another, but I discussed this with some other people and most of them can't really hear a difference either.

I voted for "Sure, it's great..." but I have to add that I rarely buy film music by the track. Even if some tracks are less than great, I prefer to have the whole soundtrack, otherwise it feels like I'm "missing" something.
Out of the "great" tracks I make my own MovieMixes (as I call them).

The greatest advantage of iTunes or any downloaded music is saving space. In case you're afraid of a computer crash that will take all of your lovely music with it...you can always burn your own CDs.

I've also noticed that American stores tend to have more music than European ones and I think it has something to do with the varying copyright laws (damn them to the lowest hell possible...).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: