StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What CD are you listening to now? with Mini Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 am   Post subject: What CD are you listening to now? with Mini Review Reply with quote

I thought this would be a fun idea that would allow all of us to do a small little review of what soundtrack they are listening to other than SST of course. I would only say that we limit it to film/soundtrack scores (basically what SST has or would most likely have), keep everything civil and respect everyones opinion.

I think this will give an opportunity for people to write a little bit about what they are listening to and give others an opportunity discover and hear about new stuff.

I will start things off:

NP: U-571 by Richard Marvin

I overall enjoy this military/submarine score as it has some nice march type music. I think it supported the movie very well and is an enjoyable listen away from the film. I found several of the tracks to have the very patriotic theme and some wonderful tracks which give you the erie underwater type music. Fun listen.

Last edited by Nate on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one to try to establish some precedent on how I envision the thread continuing:

NP: King Kong by James Newton Howard

I really love this music. One of my more favorite scores from 2005. I personally think that James Newton Howard did an amazing job in such a short period of time. This got a lot of listening in 2005 and has had several listens in 2006. I especially like those tracks that are the more beautiful, lovely tracks which are the interactions between King Kong and Ann Darrow. I personally think this is a wonderful score that deserves more recognition and recently it has been one I have played a lot.
OptimisprimalX
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 13611

OptimisprimalX is offline View user's profile Send private message OptimisprimalX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to the Batman Begins soundtrack right now.

I think that James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this soundtrack. It doesn't disappoint after Danny Elfman's excellent Batman soundtracks. Zimmer especially has a distinct style, and it reflects in the soundtrack. Howard definitely has an influence too, and their combination makes some very interesting music. The most reoccuring theme in the soundtrack is a just a swelling minor third, which is both incredibly simple and incredibly effective. It's fun to listen to.

I could go on, but I don't want to crowd or bore. I like this thread, good idea!
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently listening to Maurizio Abeni's score to Vaniglia E Cioccolato (Vanilla & Chocolate).

I've been hooked on this one for the last couple of days. A delightful orchestral score with a gorgeous and sweeping main theme that is present in a number of variations throughout the album, but always interesting. Piano, strings, oboe and flute are the main instruments here. There are a couple of tango/salsa like cues adding much fun to the album.

6.5 euros at Intermezzo Smile

Perhaps you might want to name the thread as "What cd are you listening to now?". Not all may get the current thread title.
USA jackkerouac127
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Mononoke

Never seen the movie, but the music is excellent. Picked it up after hearing the theme on here a billion times. Track #2, The Demon, is my favorite track
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the last ST I listened to (other than listening to this station) was David Arnold's Stargate. It really impressed me when it first came out and it's still a pretty darn good listen.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let us see if we can revive this thread. I think this is a great thread to expose people to new music with some opinions associated with them.

NP: Music Inspired by the film An Unfinished Life by Christopher Young

When I learned that Varese was releasing this CD as a club release I was ecstatic as a Christopher Young fan. I love his more intimate dramatic scores (never really got into his horror scores all that much) and I think this is one of his best. It is a very quiet score with very intimate themes. Some of my favorite music are the themes played on the piano which are basically bonus tracks. If you are a fan of Christopher Young and like his more intimate music for Murder in the First or Shipping News plus you enjoyed the An Unfinished Life score by Deborah Lurie then I highly recommend this score. Unfortunately it was only limited to 1,000 copies and Varese has already sold out. But, you can still get it from Intrada, Screen Archives for only slightly more than it originally priced.

Yipeeee, my 200th post too Very Happy !
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt for Red October
I love this movie and know it by heart and listening to the music really carries me back to the movie.
When I started buying soundtracks this was one of my first purchases. I think the movie and the score work so well together.
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate - this is a great thread idea and I can't believe I have never noticed it before. Embarassed
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, no worries sunshine....just glad someone is participating other than me. Was turning out to be what Nathan is listening to thread LOL.
Lieutenant

Member#: 14393

supercarol is offline View user's profile Send private message supercarol's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to Thomas Newman's Road To Perdition. Never having seen the movie, (it's on my list. Wink) I couldn't tell you how it fits in with that, but the music stands on its own very well. Newman did such a wonderful job showing the inner conflict of the character and the tragedy of the movie, that I could hear it without knowing it.
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World - I've been listening to this in the car on my way to work. I love the variety of different classical tunes along with folk songs. The music is very soothing, and always seems to put a smile on my face. I would recommend this soundtrack to be in everyone's collection!
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Chips. It's very peppy and upbeat. Really helped me while unpacking.
Baby, Please Don't Go - John Mellencamp
Lookin' Out My Back Door - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Western U Medley - Nile Rodgers
These are all great tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: