StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Official Doctor Who Fan Club Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Who is the best Doctor?
William Hartnell (1963-1966)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
Peter Davison (1981-1984)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Colin Baker (1984-1986)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Paul McGann (1996)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Christopher Eccleston (2005)
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
David Tennant (2005-2010)
39%
 39%  [ 18 ]
Matt Smith (2010-2013)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Peter Capaldi (2013-?)*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 46

UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Who concert
Sat July 24th
Available online for 7 days
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100722_01

Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the link, Dragonel. I listened to the first half last night, plan to catch the second half tonight. I'm glad that we here across the pond can stream these things.

BTW, what did people who saw it think of the Series 5 finale? Personally, I think it blew it in the first 30 seconds. I was disappointed in the beginning, couldn't follow the middle, and kind of gave up at the end. Sigh. My relationship with this show is... complicated.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
My relationship with this show is... complicated.

Same here, LadyI.
I'm tryyyyyyying to like Matt Smith, but really felt meh about this season. Karen Gillam's "Amy Pond" is just a little too silly and cutesy for my taste. (Sorry, Chand! Cool Razz )
USA NightHawkFan01
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 28964

NightHawkFan01 is offline View user's profile Send private message View NightHawkFan01's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Matt Smith too much. He's kind grown on me. I'm having issues with the finale as well, not because I found it hard to follow, but because I think there were too many plot devices...Spoiler:
such as the resurection of Rory
As for Amy Pond... sigh... she reminds me too much of the screaming damsel in distress character that previous companions were during the Tom Baker years. And it gets old very quickly. Personally my favorite companion of the new series has been "Doctor" Donna Noble.

I am intrigued by the recurring role of Dr River though... that has been an interesting back plot that has been fun to watch that unfold as they move in opposite directions.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

NightHawkFan01 wrote:
... the screaming damsel in distress character .. And it gets old very quickly.

That is exactly it!
Maybe the writers (or more likely the producers) are trying to appeal to or attract a certain demographic age group?

NightHawkFan01 wrote:
Donna Noble, Dr River

Both "older" women - a lot more interesting because they bring a much broader range of experience and intelligence.
I also really, really liked Rose - a young companion but she brought a sense of maturity and wonderment to the role without the silly coyness that Amy Pond seems to have.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:
Yeah, but now Amy and Rory are going to honeymoon in the TARDIS, which brings up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

I recommend the concert that Dragonel linked to. Even just hearing it (as opposed to being there and witnessing the shenanigans live) is fun.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 28964

NightHawkFan01 is offline View user's profile Send private message View NightHawkFan01's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I'd like to see that's been missing for some time on Dr. Who.... more alien planets. I'm getting a bit bored puttering about the Earth going forward and back in time (although I loved the Shakespeare episode with Tennant, the one with Smith and Van Goh, not so much. And the Venice vampire episode... *sigh* ... Must ever one do a vampiresque angle?)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Amy is a bit of a pain, not so much as the damsel in distress (although that too) as when she was all over-confident and brash. But I know several fellas who think she's hot so nothing else matters.

I kind-of like Matt Smith - there are places where he seems about to develop into a better Doctor, but unfortunately then he lapses back. But overall I've found this series disappointing. I suspect MS'd be better with better material, but DT could've made this material seem better.

Steven Moffat still has a good grasp of visual images that are scary and interesting but I felt he was stretched a bit thin trying to write & be headwriter together.

More alien planets would be nice, Nighthawk, I agree. Although I thought the take on the vampire angle as just being the cover for something else was quite good.

But as I've said before, I'd rather have had this season than have it all end when DT & RD left, and I still look forward in hopes it'll improve.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:39 pm   Post subject: What should have been ..... Reply with quote

Just watched (via PBS) the first of the Sherlock mini-series written by Steven Moffat. http://video.pbs.org/video/1619685888/

Can't help feeling that shows what we were missing in series 5.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that Sherlock. Main character as insufferable as ever.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, I found a sparkling review for the latest of the Murray Gold Who soundtracks.
http://www.scorenotes.com/soundtracks/doctorWhoSpecials.html

I'm totally buying this/asking for it for Christmas, even though I've only seen half of what it covers.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
In other news, I found a sparkling review for the latest of the Murray Gold Who soundtracks.
http://www.scorenotes.com/soundtracks/doctorWhoSpecials.html

I'm totally buying this/asking for it for Christmas, even though I've only seen half of what it covers.

Absolutely - my Christmas list is being re-written/re-ordered right now!

Oooo - and the Series 5 soundtrack is released in the UK this week. Me wantum both!!!!! Very Happy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-5-Murray-Gold/dp/B003Z1YJAS/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonel wrote:
Me wantum both!!!!! Very Happy
It was a gooood Christmas (yes, me gottum both Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

Anyone else have any opinions on the Christmas Special?

I've decided the problem with Steven Moffat's writing in my view is that his imagination is visual - he has some great images that he tries to translate, but the words aren't always there to go with it. And it's not helped by Matt Smith gabbling when he should learn some comic timing instead.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked "A Christmas Carol" more than any of the other specials. Aside from the annoying gender politics of the "woman in the freezer" trope, I found it really affecting.

This is more than I can say for "The End of Time," which I recently managed to watch. I know I was supposed to be moved, but there were two problems. Problem the first: the story made no sense in places. I think they were making it up as they went, with some serious rewrites once they discovered Timothy Dalton was available. Problem the second: The Tenth Doctor has been a self-righteous jerk on more than one occasion, especially in his treatment of Donna Noble. Watching him mope around her, when I think he has no right to go anywhere near her, just ticked me off.

I didn't have any such problems with "A Christmas Carol." And it was certainly better than "Planet of the Dead" (which perhaps wasn't Christmas, but was boring) and "The Next Doctor," which was a little charming but forgettable.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. This one's a mind-teaser:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/01/04/the-tenth-doctor-to-wed-his-young-female-clone/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: