StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

CD shelves or how do you store your CD collection ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 21914

NessySheep is offline View user's profile Send private message View NessySheep's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 am   Post subject: CD shelves or how do you store your CD collection ? Reply with quote

Since I came back from the states my CD shelves are full again and because I only own cheap IKEA ones which crash every now and then, I was thinking about finding some better ones. I thought that it would be nice to avoid the annoying process of CDs getting dusty and then cleaning them again. (Yes I hate cleaning CDs) So I tried to find shelves which make sure that no dust can come in, but actually I couldn't find that much Shocked
That's why I'm wondering how do you keep your CDs, especially if you have a lot of them.
I appreciate all hints and suggestions Smile
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...currently we have too many CD's so they are stacked on a tiny little shelf, completely packed full, and I'm pretty sure some have fallen behind it even. Smile
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, Nessy! BQ & JERIC, or BhelPuri, Saffron, or Sirius (and plenty of others here no doubt) would be good sources to ask about ways to store large libraries.

Storing physical CDs/DVDs is always a problem. Thank goodness we can now buy downloads and store them digitally!

Here are a few ways I store my physical CDs:

An antique storage cabinet with drawers. It's like an old-fashioned library card cabinet but with larger drawers.
It's 67" x 33" x 17" (170 x 84 x 43 cm) with 24 drawers, each of which can hold 25-30 CDs for a total of 600 to 720 CDs.

Tall wooden storage cabinets with doors, 3-4 adjustable shelves. These aren't from IKEA but they probably have some just like them.
These are 72" x 30" 16" (182 x 76 x 40 cm). You could keep boxes of CDs in them, which would keep the dust off. I use them for vinyl record collection, VHS tapes, film books, etc.

For smaller collections, I put them in recycled plastic bins - the kind that you buy lettuce, fruit, etc. in. The CDs are a little higher than the rim so I can't fit the lids tight, but setting the lids on will still help keep off dust. These are in an entertainment center so are handy and stay clean.

Recently I have switched to 3-ring binders. These are 2.5" wide binders with Case Logic CD refill pages.
(I recommend the Case Logic brand over others because the holes are punched close to the CDs, not on an extended flap. That way, when the binder is closed, the pages don't stick out beyond the edge of the binder cover.)

Each page holds 8 CDs; each binder hold about 25 sheets, so that makes a total of 200 CDs per binder. This is a good storage method for CDs you have burned yourself.

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice post, Twopop.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA NightHawkFan01
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 28964

NightHawkFan01 is offline View user's profile Send private message View NightHawkFan01's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the "entertainment" center in my space of the house is our old baby changing table - which is amazingly sturdy. I keep the printer in the bottom shelf, a server inside the mini-closet on the side... and store all (most) of my CDs in the drawer that's underneath. I also have some large CD cases (the large binder type with sleeves for the CD and cover slip) that house some of older CDs.

-tg
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

NessySheep is offline View user's profile Send private message View NessySheep's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Two Very Happy

Twopop wrote:
Storing physical CDs/DVDs is always a problem. Thank goodness we can now buy downloads and store them digitally!

Yes but actually I still have a copy of all the CDs i bought because I don't trust iTunes that much that it will have the only copy of a CD I bought. (But i still have two hard disks where my digital library is stored on)

Twopop wrote:

Those look very nice, but the problem is that you have to open every drawer or every box to find a CD and if they aren't organized perfectly you can search for a while Wink
Twopop wrote:

I use those often to carry CDs around, for example when I brought my new CDs from the States to Germany.

Atm I have those:

I like that you can read the CD cases easily and that you can store quite a few in them. But the disadvantage is that they get dusty very fast and they collapse already when you look at them angrily Rolling Eyes and I wanna know that my collection is safe even at days i'm not in a good mood Wink
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

NessySheep wrote:
the problem is that you have to open every drawer or every box to find a CD and if they aren't organized perfectly you can search for a while

Mine are arranged alphabetically by title, and each drawer has a white card label on the front, just like a card catalog. I can find whatever CD I want instantly. Putting it back in the right spot is very easy, too.

I like your CD tower racks. Very easy to see what you have. Ever thought about making a clear plastic dust cover (like the ones you might put over a tablecloth)? It could have a slit in the front or even be open. Dust settles from above, so that should help a lot.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I run out of space with my CDs lol. I still look out for something that hold up.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:

Mine are arranged alphabetically by title, and each drawer has a white card label on the front, just like a card catalog.

*bows to Two and all organized people*

I just ordered a new one for me. I saw it and fell in love, it also has space for 600 CD, which should be enough for a little while Wink AND it will hopefelly keep the dust away ! Very Happy

USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nessy, it is beautiful!!!!

I almost suggested "lawyer cabinets" because they have glass doors. This is much, much better! \o/
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nessy that's really neat. We're going on nine months now...how's it holding up?

Because I don't have oodles of space in my apartment, all my cds are no longer in jewel cases. I keep the discs and artwork in binders like these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logic-208-Capacity-Nylon-CD-DVD-Binder/12183999

There are some who will say the plastic will stick to the cd or something on those lines. Haven't had this happen in years and the cds still look fine to me. Smile
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them in an Ikea box to collect dust after I have ripped them.
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamR wrote:
Nessy that's really neat. We're going on nine months now...how's it holding up?

it's very nice. only the doors are a bit hard to push because they have no wheels, but otherwise it's fine Smile It's keeping away the dust and i can see my collection
sophiaercel95
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 51027

sophiaercel95 is offline View user's profile Send private message sophiaercel95's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my CD collection in a storage rack which is very beautiful and also strong. This CD storage rack is made of wood and glass and it is completely packed. Due to this, there would be no dust inside it and I ordered this rack from a site that offers [spam removed] for the purchase of various items.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have too many cd's yet; I recently moved them from a drawer in my cupboard to a plastic box with wheels under my bed. I bought three of them, one for cd's and dvd's, one for video games, and one for books and random electronics that I rarely use but don't want to throw away. The one with the cd's and dvd's is in the middle because I need something from it most often; I need to roll it out from under the bed to access the other two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: