StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Just good trivia
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:59 am   Post subject: Just good trivia Reply with quote

Fascinating Facts

Q. What occurs more often in December than any other month?
A. Conception.

Q. Only 14% of Americans say they've done this with the opposite sex.
What is it?
A. Skinny dipping.

Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?
A. Their birthplace. This is propinquity.

Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat
name requested?
A. Obsession

Q. More women do this in the bathroom than men.
A. Wash their hands. Women: 80%, men: 55%.

Q. What do 100% of all lottery winners do?
A. Gain weight.

Q. In a recent survey, Americans revealed that this was their favorite
smell.
A. Banana.

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until
you would find the letter "A"?
A. One thousand.

Q. What do bullet-proof vests, fire escapes, windscreen wipers, and
laser printers all have in common?
A. All invented by women.

Q. Married men revealed that they do this twice as often as single men.
A. Change their underwear.

Q. This stimulates 29 muscles and chemicals causing relaxation. Women
seem to like it light and frequent, men like it more strenuous.
A. A kiss.

Q. This is the only food that doesn't spoil.
A. Honey.

Q. 40% of all people who come to a party in your home do this?
A. Have a look in your medicine cabinet.

Q. 3.9% of all women surveyed say they never do this.
A. Wear underwear.

Q. What common everyday occurrence is composed of 59% nitrogen, 21%
hydrogen, and 9% carbon dioxide?
A. A fart.
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

roflmao!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwwww Shocked
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao Sensei!

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshinegirl wrote:

Ewwwww Shocked

I'm with you on that one Sunshine - NASTY!!! Shocked
Lieutenant

Member#: 14393

supercarol is offline View user's profile Send private message supercarol's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually knew a bunch of those... Or at least remember hearing them before. I've got a sizable word document that I just keep all sorts of random facts I discover in, and look at it for laughs. Very Happy
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am   Post subject: Ah ha! Reply with quote

I was looking for a forum to put stuff in that is really not funny, but interesting.. and look!!! I found my own forum...

WHERE YOU LIVE IS SO SPECIAL

* ALABAMA ... Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.
* ALASKA ... One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.
* ARIZONA ... Is the only state in the continental U.S.that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.
* ARKANSAS ... Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.
* CALIFORNIA Its economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.
* COLORADO .. In 1976 it became the only state to turn down the Olympics.
* CONNECTICUT . .. T he Frisbee was invented h ere at Yale University.
* DELAWARE . Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.
* FLORIDA ... At 759 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S.'s largest city.
* GEORGIA ... It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist John Pemberton made the first vat of Coca-Cola .
* HAWAII ... Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer than residents in any other state.
* IDAHO . TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.
* ILLINOIS ... The Chicago River is dyed green every St. Patrick's Day.
* INDIANA ... Home to Santa Claus, Indiana, which get a half million letter to Santa every year.
* IOWA ... Winnebagos get their name from Winnebago County. Also, it is the only state that begins with two vowels.
* KANSAS ... Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica < BR of the house in The Wizard of Oz.
* KENTUCKY ... Has more than $6 billion in gold underneath Fort Knox.
* LOUISIANA ... Has parishes instead of counties because they were originally Spanish church units.
* MAINE ... It's so big, it covers as many square miles as the other five New England states combined.
* MARYLAND The Oujia board was created in Baltimore in 1892.
* MASSACHUSETTS . The Fig Newton is named after Newton, Massachusetts.
* MICHIGAN ... Fremont, home to Gerber, is the baby food capital of the world.
* MINNESOTA .. Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, if you spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there nearly four days.
* MISSISSIPPI ... President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here... that's how the teddy bear got it s name.
* MISSOURI . Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.
* MONTANA .. A sapphire from Montana is in the Crown Jewels of England.
* NEBRASKA .. More triplets are born here than in any other state.
* NEVADA ... Has more hotel rooms than any other place in the world.
* NEW HAMPSHIRE . Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.
* NEW JERSEY ... Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.
* NEW MEXICO ... Smokey the Bear was rescued from a
1950 forest fire here.
* NEW YORK ... Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.
* NORTH CAROLINA .. Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.
* NORTH DAKOTA ... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America.
* OHIO ... The hot dog was invented here in 1900.
* OKLAHOMA ... The grounds of the state capital are covered by operating oil wells.
* OREGON ... Has the most ghost towns in the country.
* PENNSYLVANIA . The smiley, Smile was first used in 1980 by computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University.
* RHODE ISLAND . The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673
* SOUTH CAROLINA ... Sumter County is home to the world's largest gingko farm.
* SOUTH DAKOTA ... Is the only state that's never had an earthquake.
* TENNESSEE ... Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.
* TEXAS ... Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.
* UTAH ... The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.
* VERMONT ... Montpelier is the only state capital without a McDonald's.
* VIRGINIA ... Home of the world's largest office building ... The Pentagon.
* WASHINGTON ... Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.
* WASHINGTON D.C. ... Was the first planned capital in the world.
* WEST VIRGINIA .. Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.
* WISCONSIN . The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around Blue Laws prohibiting ice cream from being sold on Sundays.
* WYOMING ... Was the first state to allow women to vote.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:27 pm   Post subject: Hidden photo Reply with quote

Shakespear never looked so good.
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:22 am   Post subject: I would not call this trivia.... Reply with quote

nor would I have put it in the joke section.. it is just a good one to read and smile over. And I never wish to step on anyone's religious feelings.

A Professional...
A woman was at work when she received a phone call that her small daughter was very sick with a fever. She left her work and stopped by the pharmacy to get some medication. She got back to her car and found that she had locked her keys in the car. She didn't know what to do, so she called home and told the baby sitter what had happened. The baby sitter told her that the fever was getting worse. She said, "You might find a coat hanger and use that to open the door."
The woman looked around and found an old rusty coat hanger that had been left on the ground, possibly by someone else who at some time had locked their keys in their car. She looked at the hanger and said, "I don't know how to use this." She bowed her head and asked God to send her help. Within five minutes a beat up old motorcycle pulled up, with a bearded man who was wearing an old biker skull rag on his head. The woman thought, "This is what you sent to help me?" But, she was desperate, so she was also very thankful.
The man got off of his cycle and asked if he could help. She said, "Yes, my daughter is very sick. I stopped to get her some medication and I locked my keys in my car. I must get home to her. Please, can you use this hanger to unlock my car?"
He said, "Sure." He walked over to the car, and in less than a minute the car was opened.
She hugged the man and through her tears she said, "Thank you so much! You are a very nice man."
The man replied, "Lady, I am not a nice man. I just got out of prison today. I was in prison for car theft.
The woman hugged the man again and with sobbing tears cried out loud,
"Oh, thank you God! You even sent me a professional!"
Isn't GOD GOOD!
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:01 am   Post subject: So now you know! Reply with quote

Q: Why are many coin banks shaped like pigs?

A: Long ago, dishes and cookware in Europe were made of a dense orange clay called "pygg". When people saved coins in jars made of this clay, the jars became known as "pygg banks." When an English potter misunderstood the word, he made a bank that resembled a pig. And it caught on.

Q: Did you ever wonder why dimes, quarters and half dollars have notches, while pennies and nickels do not?

A: The US Mint began putting notches on the edges of coins containing gold and silver to discourage holders from shaving off small quantities of the precious metals. Dimes, quarters and half dollars are notched because they used to contain silver. Pennies and nickels aren't notched because the metals they contain are not valuable enough to shave.

Q: Why do men's clothes have buttons on the right while women's clothes have buttons on the left?

A: When buttons were invented, they were very expensive and worn primarily by the rich. Because wealthy women were dressed by maids, dressmakers put the buttons on the maid's right. Since most people are right-handed, it is easier to push buttons on the right through holes on the left. And that's where women's buttons have remained since.

Q: Why do X's at the end of a letter signify kisses?

A: In the Middle Ages, when many people were unable to read or write, documents were often signed using an X. Kissing the X represented an oath to fulfill obligations specified in the document. The X and the kiss eventually became synonymous.

Q: Why is shifting responsibility to someone else called "passing the buck"?

A: In card games, it was once customary to pass an item, called a buck, from player to player to indicate whose turn it was to deal. If a player did not wish to assume the responsibility, he would "pass the buck" to the next player.

Q: Why do people clink their glasses before drinking a toast?

A: It used to be common for someone to try to kill an enemy by offering him a poisoned drink. To prove to a guest that a drink was safe, it became customary for a guest to pour a small amount of his drink into the glass of the host. Both men would drink it simultaneously. When a guest trusted his host, he would then just touch or clink the host's glass with his own.

Q: Why are people in the public eye said to be "in the limelight"?

A: Invented in 1825, limelight was used in lighthouses and stage lighting by burning a cylinder of lime which produced a brilliant light. In the theatre, performers on stage "in the limelight" were seen by the audience to be the center of attention.

Q: Why do ships and aircraft in trouble use "mayday"as their call for help?

A: This comes from the French word m'aidez -meaning "help me" -- and is pronounced "mayday,"

Q: Why is someone who is feeling great "on cloud nine"?

A: Types of clouds are numbered according to the altitudes they attain, with nine being the highest cloud If someone is said to be on cloud nine, that person is floating well above worldly cares..

Q: Why are zero scores in tennis called "love"?

A: In France , where tennis first became popular, a big, round zero on scoreboard looked like an egg and was called "l'oeuf," which is French for "egg." When tennis was introduced in the US , Americans pronounced it "love."

Q: In golf, where did the term "Caddie" come from?

A. When Mary, later Queen of Scots, went to France as a young girl (for education & survival), Louis, King of France, learned that she loved the Scot game "golf." So he had the first golf course outside of Scotland built for her enjoyment. To make sure she was properly chaperoned (and guarded) while she played, Louis hired cadets from a
military school to accompany her. Mary liked this alot and when she returned to Scotland (not a very good idea in the long run), she took the practice with her. In French, the word cadet is pronounced 'ca-day'and the Scots changed it into "caddie."

So now you know!
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:32 am   Post subject: Re: So now you know! Reply with quote

Great post Cinder! I enjoyed reading it. Thanks

Cinder wrote:

A: It used to be common for someone to try to kill an enemy by offering him a poisoned drink. To prove to a guest that a drink was safe, it became customary for a guest to pour a small amount of his drink into the glass of the host. Both men would drink it simultaneously. When a guest trusted his host, he would then just touch or clink the host's glass with his own.

I know another explanation for this custom.
Long time ago people believed that one may be possessed by demon while drinking alcohol (getting drunk was a sign of this possesion). And people also believed they can scare demon away by clinking glasses Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:41 am   Post subject: Re: So now you know! Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Great post Cinder! I enjoyed reading it. Thanks

Cinder wrote:

A: It used to be common for someone to try to kill an enemy by offering him a poisoned drink. ..

I know another explanation for this custom.
Long time ago people believed that one may be possessed by demon while drinking alcohol (getting drunk was a sign of this possession). And people also believed they can scare demon away by clinking glasses Smile

You are most welcomed. I enjoyed finding the little pictures to match.
And thanks for adding your reason for clinking!
Of now we do it just to be cool!
Lieutenant

Member#: 7603

socr8s is offline View user's profile Send private message View socr8s's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cool tidbits there. It's funny how people just got the French word wrong.

You ever wonder why there are so many menus offering "Seafood Plate." Well there ya go.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:38 pm   Post subject: Information you might have wondered about.... Reply with quote

Angels as told by kids

I only know the names of two angels. Hark and Harold. Gregory, 5

Everybody's got it all wrong. Angels don't wear halos anymore.
I forget why, but scientists are working on it. Olive, 9

It's not easy to become an angel! First, you die. Then you go to heaven, then there's still the flight training to go through.
And then you got to agree to wear those angel clothes. Matthew, 9

Angels work for God and watch over kids when God has to go do something else. Mitchell, 7

My guardian angel helps me with math, but he's not much good for science. Henry, 8
Angels don't eat, but they drink milk from holy cows. Jack, 6

Angels talk all the way while they're flying you up to heaven. The basic message is where you went wrong before you got dead. Daniel, 9

When an angel gets mad, he takes a deep breath and counts to ten. And when he lets out his breath, somewhere there's a tornado. Reagan, 10

Angels have a lot to do and they keep very busy. If you lose a tooth, an angel comes in through your window and leaves money under your pillow. Then when it gets cold, angels go north for the winter. Sara, 6

Angels live in cloud houses made by God, who's a very good carpenter. Jared , 8

All angels are girls because they gotta wear dresses and boys didn't go for it. Antonio, 9

My angel is my grandma who died last year. She got a big head start on helping me while she was still down here on earth.
Katelynn, 9

Some of the angels are in charge of helping heal sick animals and pets. And if they don't make the animals get better, they help the kid get over it. Vicki, 8

What I don't get about angels is why, when someone is in love, they shoot arrows at them. Sarah, 7

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: