StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Share your resources for Film Scoring, Filmmaking, Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:14 pm   Post subject: Share your resources for Film Scoring, Filmmaking, Recording Reply with quote

I came across a website today called TrueSpec. They specialize in building digital workstations and carry a broad range of training guides and resource materials for film scoring, pro orchestration, music, music technology, recording, and video editing.

What really caught my eye was a book & CD by Henry Mancini entitled a Case History of a Film Score: The Thorn Birds. “Mancini’s book comes not only with the actual cues used in the movie (re-engraved), but recordings of the actual session conducted by Mancini including hearing the engineer calling out the take number before recording begins.”

They carry training guides on the scores for Elfman’s Batman, Morricone’s The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Yared’s The English Patient, just to name a few.

Because so many people here on SST are musicians, or are very interested in composing for media – or are filmmakers - I thought it would be interesting to provide a forum where we could share resources such as the one above. Website, stores, blogs, - any place where we could learn a little more about what goes into the art and craft of creating music for moving images.
JeromeMorrow
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14078

JeromeMorrow is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website JeromeMorrow's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Twopop. Sounds very interesting, but the links don't work for me!

I too am a composer in my spare time, so this seems right up my alley...

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerome -

Hmmm... they don't work for me either now. I suspect their website server is having trouble.

I accessed TrueSpec's site on 3 different PCs today, so I know it isn't just that it's still in my cache. I'll check it again later. If it's still not working, I'll pull the article.

I am anxious to hear more about your work, and any resources you might know of.

Last edited by Twopop on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeromeMorrow
Ensign
Ensign

JeromeMorrow is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website JeromeMorrow's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Twopop.

You can listen to some of my music at http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Balok

I just wrote a six part symphonic suite for the 5th anniversary of 9/11 (http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=45477). I was thinking about posting it here too...the SST music download page is suprisingly bare. I've written many symphonic/film score-like pieces.

iCompositions.com is a great site for aspiring composers to post work and get feeback. Definitely check it out!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerome -
I have just lfinished listening to your symphonic suite. What an amazing piece. You captured the events of that day with musical imagery perfectly. Truly original and very moving.

What a skilled talent you are. Thank you for sharing. I'll revisit your site often.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another article on the Mancini: Thorn Birds book:
http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2004/122904.html?IsArchive=122904
JeromeMorrow
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great, Twopop! Thanks for the link, and for listening to my piece! I appreciate the kind words. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 15:00 SST time, 9/15/06, the TrueSpec links seem to be working again.
JeromeMorrow
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Still down for me....they must be having server issues.
Pauldrescool
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 16749

Pauldrescool is offline View user's profile Send private message Pauldrescool's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is along the lines of Twopop's intent for this thread, but...

I've been toying with composing for a little over ten years now, and for nearly all of that time, I only had access to a cheap, very basic music notation program. It did the trick for a while, but I've recently upgraded. Smile

I'm now using Sibelius 4 for musical notation with the integrated version of Garritan Personal Orchestra as an orchestral music sampler. I have to say, this is THE way to go for composers who want to spend more time composing, and less time MIDI programming. Cool

With this combination, you simply write music, and the program recognizes the commands and plays back appropriately. For example, If you want a crescendo, you just type in cresc., or add a hairpin. If you want your string section to use 'bow up' or 'bow down,' you just put in the proper musical notation. Then you hit 'play' and the program automatically inputs all the proper MIDI notation and chooses the proper samples in order to make it sound as the composer intended. All of this occurs behind the scenes automatically. Of course, if you want to tinker, you can tweak to your heart's content! And you will have to spend some time tweaking if you are picky about the way your compositions sound.

The down side? Well, it's not cheap. I was able to use my academic status to obtain Sibelius for $210, and GPO for another $160. The non-academic price would run you about $600 for the two! Shocked

Still, for that price you can't do any better!

Oh, and be sure your computer meets with the recommended system requirements. Both programs are hungry for memory and CPU processing!!

Have fun!
Wink
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderfully put, Luther!
I also use Sibelius since last fall, and just bought the Garritan Personal Orchestra for Sibelius today... and both of course not cheap... coincidence? Wink
I just have to get familiar with it now, but I love it already! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: