StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Outage Explanation on SEP 26-27th, 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:08 pm   Post subject: Outage Explanation on SEP 26-27th, 2006 Reply with quote

So, what happened?

It's a bit complicated, so I will do my best to simplify it.

When we moved into the Equinix facility earlier this year, we joined together with some other companies in order to negotiate the best possible rate on bandwidth. The little companies (us and a couple others) paid the biggest company (which will remain nameless) and then they paid the provider. Well, they stopped paying the provider. They are now out of business and the little companies didn't receive any warning about this. Understandably so, the provider turned the whole rack off, thus affecting the little companies too. The provider is now pursuing legal action against the big company. The scary part was our servers that we paid for could have been held hostage during the litigation process. That could have meant no SST for a long time or forever. Yes, this was really scary!

Well, we're now dealing directly with the provider (which has been absolutely awesome during this ordeal and before, I should add). In other words, we've cut out the middle man. The bad thing is though, we’re now not able to get as good of a rate on bandwidth as we were before, although it is still relatively good. So, SST costs will go up about $100-150 a month.

I was worried a bit about the additional expense at first. But between the massive display of support and an upcoming change to our business model, I’m confident we will be here for at least another 5 years.

Our IP addresses may change soon. That means that there may be some minor inconsistencies with being able to access the stream or website. Some of you may not notice a thing, some may have to clear their internet cache, refresh, or even reboot.

Thank you all so much for your support through this. It really means a lot to me and everyone else who enjoys the great community we have here.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update and info!
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in China, and when I tried to get into the site, I thought at first that the Chinese Webservers blocked it. (Which would've ridicolous anyway because I don't see any obvious reason to do so, but who understands the chinese? Wink)

I'm glad SST is back... let's hope it stays that way.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see SST back and in good shape Smile

Thank you everyone!
Cadet 1

Member#: 11994

Stainless is offline View user's profile Send private message Stainless's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that everything is settled with the money owning company.

It ensures SST stays up and running.

I'll watch the "Donation Meter" somewhat with more interrest now Wink.

Sheer,
Stainless
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos JERIC! The idea of no SST is a very scary thing! This place is like a second home for me, with so many wonderful friends that I have met and enjoy a common love with - Music! I'm very happy to hear that we can continue all our friendships and great music. Thank you!!!! Very Happy
Lieutenant

Member#: 472

Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed complicated - and it continues.... Hopefully without any further ripples to SST.

The weird thing about this is that it was happening during a server migration at work when I was already having trouble with my computer. I couldn't tell if it was our servers, my computer, our whether it was something with SST. I finally came to the conclusion that SST had been hacked like back in the old days.

When I was finally able to log back in, I couldn't play anything because it was being blocked. SST is still being blocked and finally, we got a memo from our IT stating that all streaming media is being blocked permanently! Anything and everything streaming or downloadable. I'm dying. I'm actually more productive when I'm listening to SST than when I'm not. This has happened before, but never to this degree. I've always found ways around it, but now the SST website is even blocked. I can get into it, but it's just a skeleton with the text only. All buttons and icons are nonfunctional. there are no graphics, etc. Does anyone know whether an Anonymizer would work to get past this and into the stream? I've gotta have me SST!!
Deus_Ex_Machina
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 15521

Deus_Ex_Machina is offline View user's profile Send private message Deus_Ex_Machina's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The business side of these things is never any fun and we appreciate your staying on top of it JERIC.

On that note...with as many people listening to the site (and hopefully lurking in the forums) I would think that raising the $300 a month would be a piece of cake. A 33 cent a day donation comes to $10 a month. If 30 of the hundreds who listen in every day would drop that in once a month, the goal would be met.

**END SOAP BOX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: