StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Speech Accent Archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:20 pm   Post subject: Speech Accent Archive Reply with quote

One of the coolest things about SST is that we represent a wide variety of languages and dialects. As diverse as we are, there is one thing we all have in common (besides the love of music of course) – we can all speak English.

There’s an interesting website called The Speech Accent Archive that is a resource for hearing English spoken with many different accents.

Using their map of the world, you click on a country or region to listen to audio samples of people reciting the same paragraph.

With so many regional dialects here in the US and Canada, it seems like there are many still missing from their database. For example, I would love to have heard more typical ones from Maine, Boston, Minnesota, Fargo, the burroughs of NYC, the deep South, various provinces in Canada, just to name a few. This is probably true of samples from other countries as well.

Anyone can participate and they have instructions on how to submit your own audio sample.

Here is the elicitation paragraph that you would record. It contains most of the consonants, vowels, and clusters of standard American English:

"Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station."

It would be fun to hear some SSTers on there. Please let us know if you end up sending one in. Smile
USA FoxMcleod64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interestiong Twopop. The samples from the states all sound very rehearsed though and I can't hear much of the differences in those dialects and accents from the different regions and we all know there are!

I remember being at football game Arkansas playing Minnesota, and being right in front of the Minnesota crowd I could hear everything they were saying and I could have sworn they were speaking a completely different language their accents were so thick! (Maybe it was all the beer they were drinking.)

For obvious reasons, its not until I started listening to examples from outside the USA that I noticed the significant differences.

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxMcleod64 wrote:
..sound very rehearsed though and I can't hear much of the differences in those dialects

Great story, Fox. I agree - that's why I decided to post it here. The guy from Maine didn't sound much different from the Calif. and Oregon people.

One of the problems with their DB is that people submit them themselves, which probably means they're from a more tech-savvy, educated sampling. It would be great if they would go out in the field to record let's say a little old grandma in the hills of Appalachia.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating site find, 2. I will have fun with the samples for a while. Smile

That said, I also find the DB abit sparce with content. My guess is that the DB will fill out as the site get more exposure.

I tried a sample of three dialects: one from Berkeley, California; one from Elmore, Alabama; one from Brooklyn, New York. There wasn't much difference to my ear for most of the words; with a few exceptions, mostly it was subtle differences in the vowel sounds. I did hear huge differences in the pace, intonation and nasal usage (like the person was holding their nose while speaking). For example, the Brooklyn clip was spoken with a heavy nasal monotone and at a steady pace. The Alabama sample was a light-nasal lilting tone at a broken, yet consistant, pace. And the Berkeley sample had very-little-nasal lighter lilting tone at an even pace (although the vowel sounds were strongly influenced by the speaker's native Mandarin)

These differences are hard to hear by listening the the full paragraph sample by sample. I had to stop the audio at each comma and compare each sample bit by bit.

I would give a sample of my accent, but I wouldn't really represent the California dialect. It is true that I was raised in Northern California, however I had been told that I have a Canadian accent. How is this possible(?), you might ask. When I was 6 until 16, I watched PBS educational programs most of the time (the rest of the time was for cartoons Wink)... most of these programs were produced in Canada. I tink that I pick up teh dialect from watching tease programs, eh?

Very Happy

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's entirely possible, GD. My daughter loves watching Angeline Ballerina and she sounded quite British (to my American ears, at least) for a bit. She still uses some of the phrases, but without the accent. "Candy floss" and "Ready, steady, go!" come to mind.

jeff
sdg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
"The thing that impresses me the most about America ..."

Don't you mean "aboot"? Wink
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL 2! What you talking aboot?!

J2- I still use phrases picked up from Monty Python and various other British sitcoms. I also picked up some phrases from a trip to Australia... I would guess that my accent is Canbriteurstrailian now. This should really confuse people. Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat related, and I thought that folks in this thread might find it interesting:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

jeff
sdg
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that IS interesting.

Let's see... so I've lived in Pop, Pop, Soda, Soda, and now Coke areas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: